Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1989 wolfsburg editon jetta 1.8t

noreaga0221
07-01-2002, 04:43 PM
i might buy my neighbors 1989 jetta with about 221,000 miles on it. he said its a 1.8liter turbo. i'm wondering are there even any kits for it or anything to make it look good? and also if i could do an engine swap with an later 1.8t model? does anybody have this year in here and what have you done to your car? i would want to get a boost controller or a racing chip.... what psi could the engine handle without doing anything major to it?

HayaiCivic
07-08-2002, 11:49 AM
Check it out. I did a little background check on that 1989 1.8t. It was run in some sort of rally races back in the 90s right? I could be wrong, but anyway... The engine is replaceable but dont, because if Im correct it runs off of 87 octane, but wont accept the higher grades, whereas the newer engines will accept 103 octane, they just dont perform any better. So keep the engine, and revamp it, have everything possible to replace replaced and keep it under the cost of a new engine. I believe if you decided to buy a newer engine, you be able to fit it under the hood, but youll need to find different housing clips for the block... That engine, no matter the miles, if treated with respect, will put out some serious power. :sun:

As far as modifcations go on a 1989, whats that an A1? I wouldnt bother with them, drop the ride height and ad some 18s. Keep the original body style clean, and get a paint job. Cars like that deserve their original body styles. Tear out the stock suspension and see what you can find in the line of gas powered shocks and struts. Put in some HIDs because the 89 lamp lenses just arent focused enough. Give it an excentric color, like yellow or galactic blue. Tint it and add some racing seats.

This is your classy pimping car, not used length racing but burnouts and quick runs. Dont add a body kit because they just dont make anything smooth enough.

Heres a slight idea of what Id do to it.
D:\jorge-89jetta-0.jpg

noreaga0221
07-08-2002, 12:02 PM
where did you do research on this car? what website? also do you know what psi they can handle totally stock, i'm guessing they run 7psi stock anyway..

HayaiCivic
07-08-2002, 12:46 PM
Some of my best friends race VWs in Germany and Switz. I hang around the dealership alot as well. My research wasnt done on a website, but I could give you a few if you want them? Ill have to check around for some. 7 psi sounds about right, depending on the size of the engine.

Add your comment to this topic!