Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Joining the fold........maybe

S Brake
07-01-2002, 11:56 AM
I went out looking for a new car and a saw a 94 Accord EX 5 speed with VTEC and i just need your help. is there anything that i need to know that would make it a bad idea for me to buy this car and just your general thoughts on the car. it has about 144,000 mi. leather seats, sunroof, windows, doors and mirrors. ABS 4 wheel discs.
If i get the car then i will have to get a new CD deck because the old one just plain sucks. the car was owned by a Professional golfer that lives around here.

strodda
07-01-2002, 02:16 PM
well im not much of a used car expert, and i know hondas are reliable. but you gotta consider it already has 144k on it. who cares about a cd player. think what a new engine would cost if this one goes bad. how much is he asking? does he have all his tune/check up receipts? anything to show that the car has been pampered to keep the engine in top condition.

tenguzero
07-01-2002, 10:34 PM
First off, it is an excellent car (trust me, I own the coupe version) Now, it definately depends on what the seller is asking. The place that I purchased mine from had it listed at 7900, and ended up selling it to me for a flat 7000 (it has 82,300). The NADA values have the car fetching between 6500 and 8200, depending upon mileage. While 144,000 is a bit higher than ideal (a '94 should have between 90-100,000)if it checks out, and he's asking a decent price, go for it. But don't hesitiate to first bring it to an actual Honda dealership, and have their mechanics go through it (It costed me $74, and it was the best money I could have spent) they'll check everything on the car, and they'll even run a compression test (most general mechanic shops won't do that) they even checked my vent knobs! On a side note, make sure that they run a recall check on the car (this particular model needs some sort of oil gasket replacement, which is apparently VERY important, Honda does cover the work though) and find out if the timing belt was replaced yet, Honda recommends it be replaced at 90,000. That aside, It is an awesome vehicle. I've never driven standard before, and it was incredibly easy to learn on this car, it shifts really smooth. Obviously Honda has a well earned reputation for reliability, and the car has great performance (I recently opened it up on the highway, and easily hit 120 before I pulled off for fear of getting hit up for a ticket ;)

wagsaccordsir
07-01-2002, 11:01 PM
I must agree that is a great car, I have a 97 so we are in the same generation of Accords.. I personally think the 94-97 (5th) generation was the best Accords ever made... Since it has high mileage though you may want to consider swapping an H22A ($2-3k) in there if you have the extra money... You may even be able to talk him down, give him a sob story and tell him that you will have to replace the engine soon, and that could cost you an arm and a leg... Either way if the price is good jump on it.... You wont regret it... I promise!!!

Add your comment to this topic!