Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Connecting Spot Lights

2000Frontera
03-03-2006, 09:55 PM
Have a 99 Rodeo. I connected spot lights up some time ago using a relay which is connected to the high beam wire (yellow/red stripe) to ensure it only operates when high beam is on. Works well.

However, they won't flash with high beam if you just tap the stalk. You have to pull back to click and engage the high beam switch to get them on, then click again to disengage. The flash seems not to be wired off the high beam wire?? A real pain.

Especially if you click to flash in the day but don't click again to switch off. Because when it gets dark and you turn your lights on, the poor car in front gets a blast of lights while you quickly click to disengage.

Has any one wired up spots to their rodeo and can advise me if there is a better way.

Thanks,Wayne.

Paul A
03-04-2006, 12:05 PM
Hi,
If it's anything like in the U.K. ... that's the way it is! you'd certainly fail your annual roadworthiness test over here if you could flash the spots along with the high beams!
My Frontera's spots are wired the same as yours.
Fit some 100/90 watt xenon headlight bulbs, that'll get some attention when you need it!

:naughty:

directory
03-05-2006, 09:44 PM
the relay is the issue. it has to get enough power to click it open.

as far as why it stays on? i have no idea.

Cat Fuzz
03-05-2006, 11:57 PM
Are you talking about driving/fog lights? I hate those dang things. Everyone has them and BY GOD THEY'RE GONNA USE 'EM ALL THE DANG TIME! They should be banned.

rodeo02
03-06-2006, 02:19 AM
Couldn't agree more Fuzz!:cheers: Nothing better than driving home @ 5am after a 12hr shift & getting blinded by someone with their whole front-end lit up :banghead: .

G/luck
Joel

2000Frontera
03-06-2006, 07:56 PM
No it's not the in built fog/spots. I have them and they are wired in to work when Low or Hi beam lights are turned on or off; if they are switched on. Perhaps they are different here in Australia? They only use 55W bulbs and are angled down to enhance the street lighting in a lower and wider angle for better near field visibility. Not really a fog or a spot.

My spot lights are a set of LightForce spots mounted on my nudge bar. They are working the way I want them now. I found a wiring diagram on a forum which cleared it up. You actually have to parrallel the coil of the relay over the high beam lamp wiring. Only one source of 12v is provided to the hi and low lamps. They are switched on by an earth on either lamp. This earth is either provided by the "Pass" or "Hi Beam" switching. Sitting the coil over the Hi beam lamp in parrallel gets both. Works well now. With a switch on I can have them come on and off when I select Hi beam. With no lights on and spot switch on, I can flash Hi Beam and spots flash as well. Happy now.

Wayne

directory
03-07-2006, 01:14 PM
lightforce lights are nice! i need 4 of them....$$$$

Add your comment to this topic!