Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1st gear boost problems

omaro86
03-03-2006, 08:12 PM
Heres my problem, A few months ago I installed a profec-b EBC and have had the controller tuned for 13-14psi fine for all that time and never had one problem. Tonight I was driving and every time I tried to boost in first gear the car basically falls on it's face holds the boost at around 9 psi and it sounds crazy (starts popping out the exhaust) My first thought is that what I heard was the wastegates opening. I tried messing with every setting on the EBC and If i turned the boost down to 11 psi it stops doing it, but anything more no matter what the 3 settings are at it still does it. Whats going on here??

And something else I noticed driving around tonight was, I have my crap in the trunk (plastic trays, carpet, and spare tire out) ripping out dynamat from the prev. owner... with all that out I can hear my fuel pump in back running sitting at idle, during the time my boost prob was goin on I was sitting at a light and noticed it wasn't a consistant sound like "wwwweeeeeeeeeeeeee" but more like "wweeeeOOOwweeeOOOwweeeOOO" could there be something wrong with the fuel pump as well??

any advice appreactiated...

Igovert500
03-06-2006, 11:36 PM
Fuel pumps typically make a death whine when they go out. So that maybe your problem right there.

However, I'd still pressure test. How recently has any tuneup work been done?

omaro86
03-07-2006, 01:31 AM
Fuel pumps typically make a death whine when they go out. So that maybe your problem right there.

Everything has been recently done, except fuel filter which I was planning on doing soon. Plugs and wires are also new.... About the fuel pump, I drove the car again yesterday, the fuel pump sounded normal and the car boosted fine... I drove it again tonight and it sounded different again, and the car also cut out again. I guess I'll try a new fuel pump, Thank you!!!

Igovert500
03-07-2006, 01:40 AM
Pressure test. Also does the weird sound possibly come from the engine bay, like an owl hooting under the hood?
What did you gap your plugs at?

Hotshot8792
03-07-2006, 09:52 AM

? Thats turbos that whine when they're going bad. Fuel pumps whine when they are working. Haven't you ever heard the term whinebro? (the name given to walbro fuel pumps because they have the loudest whine of them all). The reason the whine isn't constant is because the voltage being provided to the fuel pump is low and isn't constant. This is why a lot of people hotwire their fuel pumps so that they can get the full 12+ constant volts to the fuel pump.

omaro86
03-07-2006, 12:15 PM
? Thats turbos that whine when they're going bad. Fuel pumps whine when they are working. Haven't you ever heard the term whinebro? (the name given to walbro fuel pumps because they have the loudest whine of them all). The reason the whine isn't constant is because the voltage being provided to the fuel pump is low and isn't constant. This is why a lot of people hotwire their fuel pumps so that they can get the full 12+ constant volts to the fuel pump.
Well Thank you both now, I'm going to try and hotwire it first now, Ive alreay got the kit ;)

omaro86
03-07-2006, 12:20 PM
Pressure test. Also does the weird sound possibly come from the engine bay, like an owl hooting under the hood?
What did you gap your plugs at?
Oops didn't see your reply.... Yep it's clear as day sitting in the car idiling that it's the fuel pump in the back. It's nothing under the hood, no owls like a leaking bov or turbo deathwhine Iv'e had them both. Oh and the plugs are at .32, that should be good for 13-15psi right??

Igovert500
03-07-2006, 01:23 PM
good call hotshot.

and yes .32 is fine for those levels.

Add your comment to this topic!