Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

gas tank capacity...

frankapone
03-03-2006, 06:58 PM
hey to all my fellow bugsters out there... my name is frank and i just purchased a '66 vw bug. my question is that my gas guage doesn't work properly and i'd like to know if it's quite a task to fix it. also, i'd like to know what the capacity is for the gas tank in a '66 bug. thanx to all who responds to these questions! :banghead:

BoatCop
03-03-2006, 07:37 PM
The 66 VW Bug, like almost all 60s and 70s Beetles (except Supers) Hold 10 gallons of gas.

To determine if the problem is in the gauge or in the tank sender, Pull the wire off of the sending unit. The gauge should go to empty. Now take the wire and and ground it to the chassis. (Not the tank). The gauge should go to full.

If it passes both those tests, the gauge is good and any problems are in the sender. The sending unit is relatively inexpensive and easy to replace. It's that round thing on the top of the tank with the wire coming out of it. Some later senders have 2 wires on them. If this is the case with yours, test the ground wire (always brown on VWs).

If this doesn't work, let us know and we'll talk you through the gauge troubleshooting.

Add your comment to this topic!