Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

need help with spraypaiting

rasher_b2
07-01-2002, 05:41 AM
I was using a Tamiya spray can to paint the body of mt GTO but when it dried there were some "bubble" kinda things in 3 places I sanded them down and sprayed again but now the surface where i sanded them is all rough.how can i fix this and what caused those bubbles?

hrmodeler
07-01-2002, 05:55 AM
You can try to sand that parts where you have rough paint and than paint again. Or you must to remove whole paint from body.

Bubbles - maybe you didn't put primer or you put too much paint when you sprayed. Best way is too put primer, than few light coats and than few wet coats.

daggerlee
07-01-2002, 07:23 AM
I've gotten bubbles too using TS sprays. Seems like when shaking it up air bubbles in the spray can form and cause havoc on the model (it isn't a problem with enamels due to the slow drying nature of the solvent). Peter Johnson (I think that's his name) at tamiya.com recommends you shake the can by holding it at top and mixing the ball at the bottom of the can to remove this problem. I can't describe it very well, you should go check the article out, it's at the American portion of the page under Tips and Techniques.

Wishmaster
07-01-2002, 08:08 AM
what daggerlee means, is you hold the cap of the spraycan, and make circles with the bottom, so the little ball in the can turns around and losens up the paint. Also puttingthe can in elbow warm water makes the paint smoother so it comes out more easy and bubbles shouldn't come.

Greetz
Stefan

daggerlee
07-01-2002, 09:21 AM
Yup, that's exactly what I mean! :flash:

primera man
07-01-2002, 08:31 PM
Most bubbles will be from paint being to thick and traping air under the paint

twoninety
07-01-2002, 11:02 PM
I painted mmy Porsche Boxter uisng Tamiya spray paint. Somehow or other the paint "sputtered" and I ended up with a combination of small and large droplets on my model. Not very pleasant

Just gave it more coats and it worked out pretty ok

bri g
07-01-2002, 11:07 PM
I've had that problem when I used spray cans before. It might be a problem with the spray can or in my case, it was the humidity. Did you paint outside on a cloudy day? the extra moisture in the air might have gotten in between coats.

Add your comment to this topic!