Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

Drive Shaft Makes a Clunking Noise

crossman83
03-03-2006, 03:08 PM
I have a 2000 GMC Sonoma ZR2 with the 4.3l Automatic Transmission. For the past year I have noticed a slight clunking noise when I shift my truck from Park/Neutral to Reverse. It won't make the noise if I go from Park/Neutral to Drive. It will also make that same noise sometimes shifting from 2nd to 3rd or when it downshifts when I'm slowing down to about 10mph. If I turn the truck off and leave it in park and go under my truck and rotate the driveshaft, it will rotate about an inch and when it stops it makes the same clunking noise but not as loud since I'm not moving it as fast as it would be under normal driving conditions. When the drive shaft rotates, it is slightly rotating inside of the transmission and the rear-end. There is sometimes also when I place the truck in park and I'll try rotating the driveshaft and it won't budge at all, which would seem normal.

Any ideas would be helpful.

Thanks!
Matt

etuke
03-14-2006, 08:08 PM
my truck makes that noise too but it also has 278,000 KMS on it and I think the rear end is about to quit on me.I am also getting a grinding noise(very faint) when I reverse or take a right hand turn,I havent had a chance to check it out yet but Im thinking either the rear end or a wheel bearing.

crossman83
03-15-2006, 07:01 PM
Wow! That's a lot of kilometers! My friend has a 99 S-10 and his rear-end went out on him after 100,000 miles. That's what I think mine could be too, it's very hard to tell though. What I have found is that the drive shaft won't completely lock in park until the vehicle moves forwards or backwards slightly after setting it in park. If you notice, and hopefully this applies to you also, but when you place the vehicel in park on a hill you'll notice the vehicle will move just a little bit and then stop, so that's why I'm thinking that sometimes I can slightly rotate the driveshaft when my truck is in park on a flat surface since it hasn't moved yet to lock in place. Another thing, during the winter time a couple years ago, I was trying to accelerate forward on some slick snow and my rear tires caught a dry patch, I did notice kind of a grinding sound, and I'm wondering if that's the reason it always makes a clunk now, because some of those teath in my rear end might be bad? Just some food for thought.

As for your grinding noise, is that coming from the front when you turn?? If it is, then it's either your CV-Joint, if you have 4 wheel drive, or your bearings.

Thanks for the insight!

horse482
03-16-2006, 11:58 AM
Have you guys checked your u-joints for play. The clunk could be the u-joint.

crossman83
03-16-2006, 02:10 PM
When the drive shaft is in park and it's actually completely locked in place and I try and rotate it won't budge at all. How much play will a bad U-Joint have?

etuke
04-03-2006, 10:12 PM
finally got it on a ramp and had a look underneath,My rear axle is fine its the yoke on the rear end that worn and letting the u joint slide back and forth in it.Also my grinding noise seems to be the steady bearing,its really rough sounding.When I get these replaced I will post back if it fixes the problems I have.

crossman83
04-07-2006, 01:31 PM
Yeah let me know how that goes. I haven't had the time yet to have one of my friends place the vehicle in park and put it in reverse while I look at it from the ground. The only thing I have done so far to make me think that my yoke is bad like yours, was that I just left the driver side door open while I place the truck in park and then place it in reverse and could notice that sound coming from that part of the drive shaft.

etuke
04-10-2006, 10:28 PM
the clunking noise was the yoke loose,its fixed.The grinding noise wasnt the staedy bearinr,although it was bad,it was the front diferential.seem the actuator for the 4X4 wasnt moving freely and it was sticking causing the gears to just touch enough to make this grinding noise,plus it was low on fluid.Now I have a vibration in the driveline since the steady bearing and the yoke has been fixed,I'm thinking a bent trans mount causing the tail end of the tranny to be too high and binding the U joint.Gona try nad get a look at it soon will post back.

crossman83
04-11-2006, 07:33 AM
Yeah I finally took a look at mine also, and it looks like it has a little back lash on it causing that sound, so basically it's loose. How did you go about fixing it? I'm sure the first step is disconnecting the drive shaft, then what's next?

etuke
04-11-2006, 10:35 AM
all I did was to take off the U straps and cut strips of thin metal and lapped it out over the back of the u straps so it would stay in place,this takse up the space and keeps it tight.Cheap fix but if you want to spend the money then buy a new yoke and straps

crossman83
04-14-2006, 01:17 PM
Now when you say U straps, are you talking about the straps that bolt down on top of the Ujoint to connect it to the yoke???

etuke
04-18-2006, 05:35 PM
Now when you say U straps, are you talking about the straps that bolt down on top of the Ujoint to connect it to the yoke???
yes

Blue Bowtie
04-19-2006, 08:31 AM
Am I the only one who read the owner's manual shipped with the vehicle, and uses the parking brake when parking? One little "nerf" from another vehicle trying to park too closely when your vehicle is sitting on a hill (all the load on the parking pawl) and the pivot pin can be blown right out the side of the transmission. Instead of a little polishing of the urethane bumper cover to repair the damage, you're shopping for a new transmission case while going home on the end of a tow truck.

etuke
04-19-2006, 07:27 PM
Am I the only one who read the owner's manual shipped with the vehicle, and uses the parking brake when parking? One little "nerf" from another vehicle trying to park too closely when your vehicle is sitting on a hill (all the load on the parking pawl) and the pivot pin can be blown right out the side of the transmission. Instead of a little polishing of the urethane bumper cover to repair the damage, you're shopping for a new transmission case while going home on the end of a tow truck.
mines a 5 speed and i do use the parking break when on steeper hills

Add your comment to this topic!