Steel Seal

Gymmy23
03-03-2006, 11:29 AM
Has anyone here ever used "Steel Seal"? Its a repair for a head gasket. Does it work? and How hard is it to do? If anyone knows. I was told I will be needing new Head Gaskest and the mechanic suggested trying out this stuff before i went and spend $1000.00+ on new gaskets.

I have a 94 Chevy pickup,v8, 5.7, 350. If that means anything.

Heres the idea I liked better. HAHA.. The other mechanic said i should just buy a crate engine. An LT1 Corvette engine. I think?

Just for Kicks and giggles, what would one of those bad boys cost? again, if anyone knows.:rofl:

But the first question is the main question. I just want some info..Thanks for the replys

Gymmy23
03-05-2006, 08:44 PM
now dont answer all at once

mbumgua
03-05-2006, 10:47 PM
Costs me 50 bucks for the head set--the rest is all labor-thats why I do my own work. Chevy crate from 1600. to 5000. depending on which one you need.

mbumgua
03-05-2006, 10:53 PM
Of course when you pull the heads off you never know what you're gonna find--may need valve job--heads could be warped.

GOLIATHGMC
03-05-2006, 11:30 PM
I cant imagine anything being a "Cure-all" for a blown head gasket. Whatever it is, it isnt going to do anything but buy you a little time IF it works. It sounds like something akin to Radiator STOP-LEAK - and I wouldnt use that stuff if it was free.
I would imagine if you have a blown head gasket, there is another problem that caused it - and you need to find out what that is. Save yourself the headache of prolonging the agony, and pull the heads. It may be a bit of work, but there should be no question once you are done that the problem is fixed and you wont end up on the side of the road with a dead truck.:banghead:
George
REBEL Motorsports

Gymmy23
03-06-2006, 11:06 AM
So u guys are saying just forget about the Steel Seal? Right? Im not all that mechanicly inclined. I mean i change the oil, Belts, hoses, Little stuff, but this seams like a little bigger of a project. Should an amiture try? Whats invalved in replacing them. Also $1000.00+ to have a chain store auto shop to replace them. Is that a lot or what?..Thanks for the replys

MT-2500
03-06-2006, 12:05 PM
Has anyone here ever used "Steel Seal"? Its a repair for a head gasket. Does it work? and How hard is it to do? If anyone knows. I was told I will be needing new Head Gaskest and the mechanic suggested trying out this stuff before i went and spend $1000.00+ on new gaskets.

I have a 94 Chevy pickup,v8, 5.7, 350. If that means anything.

Heres the idea I liked better. HAHA.. The other mechanic said i should just buy a crate engine. An LT1 Corvette engine. I think?

Just for Kicks and giggles, what would one of those bad boys cost? again, if anyone knows.:rofl:

But the first question is the main question. I just want some info..Thanks for the replys

Steel seal.:grinyes: :lol: :lol:
Repeat after me.
It is pure Snake oil.
MT

Hammer59
03-06-2006, 02:45 PM
So u guys are saying just forget about the Steel Seal? Right? Im not all that mechanicly inclined. I mean i change the oil, Belts, hoses, Little stuff, but this seams like a little bigger of a project. Should an amiture try? Whats invalved in replacing them. Also $1000.00+ to have a chain store auto shop to replace them. Is that a lot or what?..Thanks for the replys

I do those jobs for 500.00 bucks. I takes me a full day to do it.
1000.00 seems sorta high to me. 100.00 for gaskets & mis.,900.00 for labor.
Damn, I could get rich with a few of them jobs a week.lol

MT-2500
03-06-2006, 06:34 PM

Another thing I would check out.
Make sure it is the head gasket leaking.
There is some test you can do to make sure.
What kind of test was done or why do they think the head gaskets is bad?
What is it doing or not doing?
MT

Gymmy23
03-06-2006, 06:44 PM
Midas told me that there is anit-freeze leaking down the bell houseing. And he said the right head was wet. Also i have been losing anti-freeze for the last few weeks and i didnt know where it was going. There were no puddles in the driveway. Untill the other day, there was a Small Spot on a piece of card board that i put under to check. I didnt see any fome on the oil dip stick. And from what i see there isnt any steem or smoke comming from the exhost after it warms up. Thats all i can think of. Thanks for your replys

MT-2500
03-06-2006, 07:09 PM
Midas told me that there is anit-freeze leaking down the bell houseing. And he said the right head was wet. Also i have been losing anti-freeze for the last few weeks and i didnt know where it was going. There were no puddles in the driveway. Untill the other day, there was a Small Spot on a piece of card board that i put under to check. I didnt see any fome on the oil dip stick. And from what i see there isnt any steem or smoke comming from the exhost after it warms up. Thats all i can think of. Thanks for your replys

Sounds like you need to have a good repair shop check it over.
If it is not smoking out tail pipe or getting hot or getting coolant in the oil.
It may not be a head gasket.
Have the upper intake and freeze plugs water pump and heater hoses and fittings and stuff like that checked out first.
Also most good repair shops have a block test tester they can run to check for a bad head gasket.
Good luck
MT

Gymmy23
03-07-2006, 02:46 PM
ok..i will be call a few places today.

Is there anyone on this site that does this work, or know someone who does? I am from South Western Pennsylvania, the Pittsburgh area. Thanks for the help.

MT-2500
03-07-2006, 04:44 PM
ok..i will be call a few places today.

Is there anyone on this site that does this work, or know someone who does? I am from South Western Pennsylvania, the Pittsburgh area. Thanks for the help.

To find a good repair shop you have to.
Check around Ask around.
Word of mouth.
Family friends coworkers neighbors business people and delivery people.
Mailmen and parcel delivery people get around and notice a lot of stuff.
Even a good parts house knows what shops are good and not good.
Chamber of commerce and better business bureau and city hall.
If you find a good referral to a repair shop go look them over and talk to them.
Look for a clean looking busy place with nice people running it.
Ask a few questions and ask about their qualifications and training.
Not all places have trained tech/mechanics.
If they do not find a place that does.
Even all dealers do not have all trained techs/mechanics.
MT

Add your comment to this topic!