Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

dissapearing coolant. Help please

Mirock
03-03-2006, 07:29 AM
I'm an owner of 99 rodeo ls 4 wd 3.2 dohc almost 90k on it ,here is a problem.About 4 months ago chenge a timing belt and water pump and since then i'm notticing a lose of coolant ( went low twice already luckilly didn't overheat) .I did crawl under the truck numerous times and check top af the motor ,i can't find anything leaking or smell an antifreeze ,it is a mystery to me where the coolant goes ? Could it be a head gasket leaking? but on the other hand there is no coolant in oil or vice -versa ,cooling system is not getting pressurized like it usually happening with bad head gasket:screwy: .Did anyone here experienced the same problem? .Can you help me guys.

rodeo02
03-03-2006, 10:49 AM
Pull the spark plugs to check for coolant in the plug wells. That's a sure way to check for a head/gasket leak on the 3.2/3.5's. Unfortunately 1998/1999's were prone to head cracks & coolant leakage into the combustion chamber.

Joel

directory
03-03-2006, 03:40 PM
Unfortunately 1998/1999's were prone to head cracks & coolant leakage into the combustion chamber.

i hate when you bring that up:frown:

i'm sure glad i have a 99 honda passport...:disappoin :disappoin :disappoin

99zhfkaf
03-06-2006, 03:29 PM
i am having the same issue w/my 99 passport. i thought it was a radiator, had it replaced and a month later i was low again. no idea where the coolant goes, no drips or smells. my mechanic claims all tests say head and block are fine. no white smoke out of the tailpipe either. he thinks it's a small leak near the thermostat, in an area covered by the intake plenum(sp?), engine cover and pretty much everything on the top of the motor. let me know if you find anything out. right now i am just checking my coolant level every 2-3 weeks and topping off as necessary.

Gizmo42
03-06-2006, 06:09 PM
An easy way to tell if coolant is getting into the oil is to pull the dip stick out and taste the oil (just taste a drop, dont drink it).

Even a little bit of coolant in the oil will make it taste sweet. It wont hurt you, I have been doing it for years. It also gives you a reason to have an adult beverage afterwards to get rid of the oil taste.

sandyf43935
03-06-2006, 06:24 PM
Ewwww.
That's all. Ewwww.

rodeo02
03-06-2006, 07:49 PM
..pull the dip stick out and taste the oil (just taste a drop, dont drink it)..

:eek2: Gizmo, yer killin' me :uhoh: !

Joel

surferfletch
03-07-2006, 05:06 PM
i am having the same issue w/my 99 passport. i thought it was a radiator, had it replaced and a month later i was low again. no idea where the coolant goes, no drips or smells. my mechanic claims all tests say head and block are fine. no white smoke out of the tailpipe either. he thinks it's a small leak near the thermostat, in an area covered by the intake plenum(sp?), engine cover and pretty much everything on the top of the motor. let me know if you find anything out. right now i am just checking my coolant level every 2-3 weeks and topping off as necessary.

Did they pressure test it?

Add your comment to this topic!