Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Is my dealer trying to "F" me?

bangbg
03-02-2006, 05:30 PM
I have a 2000 Tacoma Pre-runner X-tended Cab with the 3.4l V-6/Auto that has 257,000 miles on it.

The check engine light came on and I took it into the dealer for them to pull the code and to give me an estimate to fix the truck.

The code was a P0420. They told me that was a hard code for the catalytic converter.

The dealer tells me that the truck has 2 cats in-line and the one that is bad is the 1st one closest to the engine, the one up at the exhaust manifold. There are also a couple of O2 sensors they want to replace for an additional $600.00.:frown:

They tell me that the front Cat is a dealer only part and with labor replacing it will be about $1,100 dollars. They insist there is no after-market replacement available for that front cat, only the rear one.

I can get the rear one at a local muffler shop installed for $350 parts and labor but the muffler guy says the rear one is never the problem.

Does anyone know if the dealer is feeding me a line?

If what they tell me is true what kind of BS is that?

Has anyone else been faced with this problem? I would appreciate any informed input someone may have.

Flash75
03-03-2006, 06:43 AM
It's the right code for a three way convertor problem. It could be caused by something other than the convertor. Since you are out of warranty why don't you let the local muffler shop solve the problem. In the shop manual there are some checks listed to determine if the problem is sensors, convertor or something else. I think the Toyota shop may be correct about no after-market three way convertor. Your muffler shop may be able to buy it from Toyota a little cheaper than you can.

For more information about diagnostic codes look in volume I of this 2003 shop manual. Look up your code and read the check sequence suggested by Toyota.
http://misc.mmdsi.net/tacoma/tacoma-manual/

I know you have a 2000 truck but the codes for OBDII vehicles since 1996 are the same. In fact you can do a Google search on your code and find some interesting information.

Clifton

Add your comment to this topic!