Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Insurance dispute...

JLad10687
03-02-2006, 04:20 PM
My car was recentley totaled by a lady driving a minivan that decided to pull out in front of me. Her company as accecpted 100% legal liability. Now, they are saying they will only give me $1300 for it. It is a 1989 Nissan Maxima and I want to look on Edmunds and everything but I am not sure if it is SE or GXE. I know this issue has been discussed before, but I do not remember what color the gauges are, or what the engine said on it. I was wondering if anyone could search the VIN, JN1HJ01P6KT293827 to see if it is an SE or GXE so that way I can figure out what it is really worth.

Thanks,
Joel

Chad82
03-02-2006, 08:54 PM
The VIN you supplied, "JN1HJ01P6KT293827", is invalid. Please check the number for accuracy and try again below.

- The letters "I", "O", and "Q" never appear in a VIN.
- The VIN must be exactly 17 characters in length.
- The CARFAX database contains information for cars manufactured from 1981 through the present.

Chad82
03-02-2006, 08:57 PM
And the trim level is only a matter of $50-100. But how do you not remember what color the gauges are? White = SE, and its easy to see if they are white. At any rate, they are trying to low-ball you, first offer always is. If they ask you how much you would need, tell them $2500 and accept $2000.

JLad10687
03-03-2006, 07:49 AM
I know, I just wanted to have all the facts in front of me. I tried it on carfax and it didnt specify which model. The gauges are just one of them things you look at everyday and just dont remember. I just want 1800-2000 for it. Not 1300.

fredjacksonsan
03-08-2006, 08:08 AM
Try going to www.kbb.com, enter the options you had, and print the page out that shows what the private sale value of the vehicle is. Then show it to the estimator, and tell him/her that's what you expect to get out of the car.

If they won't go along with it (and you have Collision coverage) you can go through your own insurance company, which may give you a better deal, and then your company will go after the other company. The downside to this method is that you're out your deductible until your company collects.

tony36
03-14-2006, 04:37 AM
The ins. has the upper hand in case like this, they determine the condition the car was in before the accident and estimaye value from that. Replacement value means nothing to them. My good friend is a claims adjuster and says that you must also alert them to any extras you had on the car. That can help with value. It does not hurt to brown nose the adjuster a little also. At the end of the day it is his decision, he has quite a bit of leeway with values. Either way you never get what you want and get the short end, just try to do the best you can with it. If you use your own ins. company, you have to deduct the deductable, and wether or not it is your fault, it is still a claim on your ins. and if a new policy has to be started, for a new car, your rates can increase, doesn't matter who's fault, it's still a claim on your ins.

JLad10687
03-14-2006, 10:13 AM
The ins. has the upper hand in case like this, they determine the condition the car was in before the accident and estimaye value from that. Replacement value means nothing to them. My good friend is a claims adjuster and says that you must also alert them to any extras you had on the car. That can help with value. It does not hurt to brown nose the adjuster a little also. At the end of the day it is his decision, he has quite a bit of leeway with values. Either way you never get what you want and get the short end, just try to do the best you can with it. If you use your own ins. company, you have to deduct the deductable, and wether or not it is your fault, it is still a claim on your ins. and if a new policy has to be started, for a new car, your rates can increase, doesn't matter who's fault, it's still a claim on your ins.

I know all that. I work for an insurance company. I wanted to know exactly which model it was so I could make my case. The model effects about 200 on this particular car. I was just trying to make sure it was the right thing. The only thing you can argue are the options really, that is why I wanted to make sure that I had the right model. Or, I could go through the long drawn process and argue it was in good instead of average condition.

harrymay
03-14-2006, 12:51 PM
damn dude, you had that for what like six months

JLad10687
03-16-2006, 01:52 PM
Yeah, I was looking to buy a car anyway but it still sucks that it happened like that. I got it in June I think. So about 9 months.

Add your comment to this topic!