Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

84 rabbit GTI problems

thunderf4
03-01-2006, 11:15 PM
hi guys well i have a 1984 rabbit GTI 1.8 SOHC, i have replaced alot of parts on this car, i just bought it, the car will idle and run ok till it starts to warm up, then it spudders and slowly dies, acts like it is running out of gas/ fuel pressure, i cant check fuel pressure i dont have a gauge to hook up to that type. i replaced the thermo time switch, fuel pump (bosch) fuel pump relay, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, even the fuel distributor (used). i checked the boost valve and all tests say its good, ( it has 2, 1 for A/C). its not and electrical problem, i dont loose spark. no matter what i do or try it just wont stay running, even messing with the adjustments on the intake and the air filter housing. the bought the car from the orignal owner, it sat for about 10 years (something about a divorce) it has 114k miles on it. oh and about 2 weeks ago i was driving it around in the neighbor hood, ran ok, but would bog down or die when you tried to floor it, but driving easy it ran good, and that was on old bad gas, i filled it up with the high octane gas, after i ran it down to about 1/4 tank, and after i got home (about 1 mile) it started to back fire a little, and died, ever sence then is when i cant keep it running. i dont think it will need a new fuel dist. cause keep in mind, it idles fine when you 1st start it, till it warms up (about after 1 to 2 mins) and i ran other tests on misc. sensors and valves, and they all tested good. oh and it dont have an EGR valve, was not equipt with one. posable ECU? anyway of testing the ECU? i am a 32 year old, and a mech. but this car is driving me nuts. i am running out of ideas and money now, lol.

veedubmechanic
03-02-2006, 10:22 PM
you replace the fuel filter yet?

there are 2 pumps, one in tank and one outside of tank.

try puttin in a good fuel system treatment (b&g does very very good job)

Check and or replace all your vacuum lines and check he vacuum resivour for leaks ( big plastic bubble lookin thing )

thunderf4
03-05-2006, 02:08 PM
yes i have replaced the filter 2 times, and no this vech. does NOT have 2 fuel pumps, late 84 (golf) is when they started to add a 2nd fuel pump. Well i have found that there was alot of rust in the gas tank, so i took the tank out today, and i also found that the filter screen in the tank was missing, so i found it lieing in the corner of the tank, i took it out and cleaned that, its in good shape still. So now i am trying to find a chemical to clean it out, oh and the rust is just surface rust, but there are some things floating around in there, like from an old gasket or something. and i found out why it would stall when i turned right, well one of the bowl flaps were missing, found that to. so i will let you know what i will do and if it made a diffrence in anything. oh and plus it running so bad, the gas milage was real bad after 42 miles from a full tank it was almost empty.lol

veedubmechanic
03-05-2006, 02:49 PM
just buy a new gas tank, there like 3-400 online!

thunderf4
03-06-2006, 09:44 PM
well i cleaned this tank out and still runs like crap, so i am going to replce the gas tank ($160 online no tax and free shipping) and i am going to replace the fuel distributer, ($305 with exchange). then i am going to send it to a german auto shop to fine tune the fuel and timing, i think the adjuster screw for the flow of fuel in the air filter housing is way off. so after replacing the gas tank and fuel dist. every fuel part is new, them are the only 2 things i have not replaced yet. so off to online shopping, lol

veedubmechanic
03-07-2006, 09:11 PM
injectors can get clogged also. also cold start injectors fail alot too. and there like 600.00 =\

you're fuel dist could be wayyyyyyyy off and its easy to adjust as long as the adjustment screw isnt rusted. I believe its clockwise richen counterclockwise lean. 3mm allen

thunderf4
03-08-2006, 08:14 PM
well i may have found the problem. i bought a fuel pressure gage and the gage PSI goes up to 100psi well when i start the car the pressure goes wayyyyyyy past the 100psi mark, so what i did was hold down the pressure relief valve on the gage a little bit, to bring the psi down to 35 to 40psim and when i was holding there the car ran great, it didnt bog down and it reved up with no hesition, SWEET..... now what i need to know if it is the warm-up regulator (pressure control valve) is bad, i ohm it and it supose to be between 16 to 22 ohms it ohmed at 14. i am guessing that valve is no good. i dont know where you are getting your prices from but dude go here www.autohausaz.com (http://www.autohausaz.com) i got my $200 bosch fuel pump from them for only $118.00 no tax and free shipping. and there fuel dist. is $360. witch i know i dont need that now. i think there fuel regulator was like $186 or $206 or $236,lol something with a 6 in it,lol. :screwy:

thunderf4
03-22-2006, 06:51 PM
well i finally found out what was wrong with my car, the fuel return line that goes into the gas tank was clogged, cleaned it out and runs great. plus the other day i went for a state inspection and it passed with flying colors, oh and it pass with no cat. and just a glass pack on it,lol.

Add your comment to this topic!