Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Shocks of choice?

Cloud Strife
03-01-2006, 09:42 PM
Well I need 4 new ones. They all fail the bounce test when the car is at rest. I oscillate when I hop off teh bumpers instead of a critical dampening response. This most likely explains why I can feel every tiny crack in the road and feels like I am gonna flip if I hit a big bump when I go offroading.

I have a 99 Blazer 4x4. I don't know if they shocks have ever been replaced but I just passed 124,000 miles so I am most likely due for a change.

There are many different types out there. Most seems to like Monroe reflex here while I have seen recommendations for Bilsteins.

I just need something similiar to stock as I do some mild offroading. Mud-holes, creek beds, hill climbing, etc. This is b/c I live in Appalachia......LOL

Thoughts plz ?

BlazerLT
03-01-2006, 10:11 PM
Go to ebay and grab a set, I got a set of 4 for only 25 bucks and had them installed for $50.

They are awesome and are just as smooth as the expensive ones I removed.

Excellent handling and not too soft in the corners.

Cloud Strife
03-01-2006, 10:37 PM
A set of what type or model would be very helpful.

Rmbodie
03-02-2006, 05:14 AM
You get what you pay for . Off road shocks (in my opinion) should be much softer than handling/touring types so the tires can drop to the surface quickly on rough terain. I have Heckelthorn (not by choice ) , they came with my lift kit . But they ride great on and off road . White w/ red boots .
On another auto(jeep) I had monroe gas magnums and they seem to let the front end hop around a little excessive on potholes. I would not choose any store brands . Rob

DjEarth
03-02-2006, 08:16 PM
I have a 99 LS 4x4
I just did all four with KYB Monomax Heavy Dutys and am very satisfied with the choice I made. No more bodyroll..it's created a very stable ride.

http://www.ajusa.com/cgi-bin/load?t=kyb/monomax.html&ajr_skey=8f0cf9d5d993f573b7c7fd542e1fea0a

Cloud Strife
03-02-2006, 08:21 PM
I ended up buying Monroe Reflex from Rockauto.com

Cloud Strife
03-05-2006, 08:39 PM
Items came in on Saturday. I am off to get an estimate on how much it will cost to have them installed. :(

BlazerLT
03-05-2006, 09:08 PM
Cost me CDN$100 for my install, anything more and you are being ripped.

BTW, that was from one of the most expensive shops around.

Don't allow them to bullshit you into thinking it is a big job seeing it is quite simple.

Cloud Strife
03-07-2006, 09:15 AM
Mine ended up being 45 bucks for the install of all 4 of them.

Ride is a lot better but still a little stiff. Haven't taken them offroad yet but will this weekend.

BlazerLT
03-07-2006, 06:52 PM
Great!

Good shocks will be a little stiff when compared to the older worn out ones you had installed.

What you are feeling is normal.

93LT
03-08-2006, 09:00 PM
I have a 99 LS 4x4
I just did all four with KYB Monomax Heavy Dutys and am very satisfied with the choice I made. No more bodyroll..it's created a very stable ride.

http://www.ajusa.com/cgi-bin/load?t=kyb/monomax.html&ajr_skey=8f0cf9d5d993f573b7c7fd542e1fea0a

Thanks for the input on this particular shock. I've been eyeing them for awhile now, debating on them for the 95 LS. It has the soft ride suspension and worn out shocks. I don't particularly care for the soft ride suspension and plan on trying these shocks to see if it can firm the ride up and rid the vehicle of some of the vehicle body role.

BlazinMlew
03-09-2006, 07:34 AM
Cost me CDN$100 for my install, anything more and you are being ripped.

BTW, that was from one of the most expensive shops around.

Don't allow them to bullshit you into thinking it is a big job seeing it is quite simple.

How much of a pain to D I Y? I like to try and do anything that I can myself

93LT
03-09-2006, 08:07 AM
If you are mechanically inclined, they are not hard at all. If you live in areas where they salt the roads though, that could add to the PIA factor.

Rmbodie
03-10-2006, 12:50 AM
Also , If I may add , Most likely you will want an air or electric impact wrench (like tire stores use) . Because the bolts are the locking type , they are difficult to turn .I think they are 18mm which I had to buy special for the job. The nuts on the bottom end rust over well and you have to fight it to get them off . I had to split one with a cutoff wheel and dremil tool to remove it on a 98 model . If you can get it done for $40 bucks , Pay them first and let them do it . I have all the heavy tools and it still took an hour on one troublesome bolt . Rob

BlazinMlew
03-10-2006, 07:34 AM
If you are mechanically inclined, they are not hard at all. If you live in areas where they salt the roads though, that could add to the PIA factor.

OH yeah the salt is a plenty here. I havent had much problems with anything that is in alot of contact with the salt yet though. The wheel hubs came off fairly easy after a little convincing and the caliper bracket as well. It helps to have air tools to do things I found out. I might just have to try it.

Cloud Strife
04-23-2006, 09:32 PM
Shit. It is a little over a month since I put these things on and a bolt came out holding my rear shock to the body. It is clunking like crazy and I gotta go bitch to have it fixed.

Thank God that it didn't sheer off the other one on my trip home from Cincinnati on Friday. It was 3 hours of hell the whole way home due to the clunking and I couldn't isolate due to heavy rain.

JimmyGold
04-23-2006, 10:46 PM
I had KYB Monomax shocks for three years with abour 32K miles. They improved handling greatly but DESTROYED my front suspension largely due to the fact that they don't give on potholes and the like.

Now I have Monroe Reflex, I'm used to the mushier ride now and overall I think it's better for the truck.

BlazerBoyLT98
04-24-2006, 08:29 AM
I have the Edlebrock shocks, great off road, great on smooth highway, sucks major asshole on potholes and streets. I think the mojority of my back problems come from these shocks ;)

Cloud Strife
04-24-2006, 09:31 AM
They fixed the issue. Somehow one of the two support pieces on the fram had busted loose. So they welded a new piece back in.

I was told that my ball on the bumper couldn't support a 14' boat I hauled about a week and a half ago. He said it twists the frame a good bit so that is probably what did it in.

So I probably need to go find an underneath receiver for my hauling needs. :(

BlazerBoyLT98
04-24-2006, 11:55 AM
I would go with Reese or Hidden Hitch

manwiththeplan88
04-24-2006, 05:38 PM
I love my bilenstein shocks, very long lasting and durable.

nickledimed
04-24-2006, 07:00 PM
Sheesh, why pay 1oo bucks to have them put on.....I did all 4 in less than a hour. and my advice is to stick with stock, unless your modding the truck and plan on major off roading. If your driving on the road more than off stick with stock.....Reasons? Safty, gas milage, and ride....JM2C

Add your comment to this topic!