Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

left lane violation

azn_focus
03-01-2006, 04:53 PM
i got cited for a left lane violation 41-6a-702 traffic ticket. i was by myself in the car and i think it is a hov on ramp to the freeway. but shouldnt he have been cited for 41-6a-702.1a this was in utah salt lake city please any info and advice please help me does any one know how much it cost and any help lawyer? keep points off of my record

Igovert500
03-07-2006, 01:07 AM
ok, I can't tell you what he should or shouldn't have done, because I have no idea what infractions those numbers refer to.

However, often officers can cite you a ticket in a number of different ways for the same offense, depending on how badly they want to screw you. For instance:

Running a red light = a decent number of points/a hefty fine
Disobeying a traffic control device = $106 slap on the wrist/no points

If this is your first offense, I wouldn't even bother with a lawyer. If utah's traffic courts are like the rest of the country. When you plead not guilty, you meet with the prosecutor first and they try and cut you a deal with a plea bargain. (lesser charge, don't waste the court's time). If it is your first offense, many times you can get the charges reduced to no points, or even completely dropped at this point in time.

Also, check teh ticket and you local laws...just because it is a moving violation, doesn't always mean points. Sometimes you get lucky and they just want your money.

Lastly, check into traffic school options. Some states have online traffic schools or other plea options, that allow you to not get any points, or get the points removed as long as you don't get another ticket for 18 months. That or some states offer defensive driving classes, $25 and 6 hours of your time gets 2 points off your license and a 10% insurance reduction. It really all depends, and unfortunantly, I don't know anybody from Utah, so I'm not sure how exactly their system works.

Add your comment to this topic!