Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

First "real" build.. suggestions?

DocDann
03-01-2006, 11:53 AM
When I get my first real equipment (anywhere from now to late March, as I am waiting for my tax refund, which is due "by March 28"), I plan on building the only kit I have around here that wasn't started and abandoned.. heh... the others have MAJOR issues due to a small disaster involving my cats (borken a dn b pillars, missing parts, etc).... anyway, it is an AMT 1955 Chevt Stepside pickup... my plans so far are :

1: wire and plumb the engine
2: make a REAL-LOOKING wood bed liner, instead of just painting tht included one (using a thin veneer, BMF and dress pins)
3: make new exhause tips
4: make a new drive shaft (real metal)

Any other ideas?

My idea for color (while not period correct, sounds good to my eye) :
Teal exterior paint, Grey interior with black carpeting on the floor...

I'll probably scratchbuild some things for "decoration", i.e. a blanket and thermos for the interior, maybe a toolbox for the bed, etc.

Any other ideas?

One thing I DO not like is that the hood hinges are only to be used if you want to display it with hood up all the time... I will probably replace these with simple C-hinges and slots in the firewall, and a pin or wire for a hood support, but....

I will probably strip all the chrome and re-do it with Al-Clad, but so far in an earlier experiment with "donar" AMT bumpers, bleach had no effect in like 3 days, so....

One other thing, about my philosophy on modeling :

I do NOT use after market parts, if it is not in the kit, or cannot be scratchbuilt, it's not going in there...

I look forward to your ideas...

Add your comment to this topic!