Looking to buy a used car '93-'99 I need advice! Please help

becscar
03-01-2006, 09:05 AM
Hello, I am looking to buy a used car in a few weeks. I need as much advice as possible. I have been searching all over the web for information on cars 1993 to 1999 (will most likely buy) American. I need any advice on what would be a good car to buy. I cannot afford major repairs. But, things like alternator, water pump, fuel pump, light electrical, sensors, etc.repairs I can do.
In my searching online I have found lots of major electrical problems reported with Ford and GM. I know with Ford it is true, because we have a '84 Ford LTD with 62,000 miles, and it has had to have new ignition system, electrical work, and a new TFI ignition module, amongst other things.
I have not looked into Chrysler much yet. The reason I have not looked into Chrysler yet, recently I had to sell a Dodge Daytona with only 68,000 miles at a very low cost, because of cracked head, I could not afford to fix it. And at a very low price, I had to sell another Chrysler. The transmission went out on my '96 Plymouth Neon, it needed a whole new trans. So I have been a bit leary of Chrysler.
I am open to hearing any advice, and I realise that with any used car I will encounter problems. Still, I am trying to find the best car in my price range, that may give me the least ammount of major problems. Please tell me any cars you reccomend, or cars to stay away from. Personal stories of what has had to be repaired on your used cars would also be so helpful. I really appreciate any help! I am desperate to find a good, reliable car!
Thank you so very much!:)

SuperHighOutput
03-01-2006, 10:57 AM
You seem to be open to most any possible suggestions (not a bad thing), but I'd like to know how much you're looking to spend on it, that would help narrow down the possibilities.

becscar
03-01-2006, 12:14 PM
Yes I guess that would help. Unfortunatley I only have between $3,000 and $4,000 to spend. Thanks for your question.

SuperHighOutput
03-01-2006, 04:39 PM
Taurus - SHO V6 would be the way to go.
GMs with the 3800.
Honda Accord and Civic.
Toyota Camry and Corolla or I prefer the Geo Prism, same as the Corolla but less popular and IMO looks better.
Ford Mustang - 5.0 if possible, 3.8 otherwise
Chevy Camaro/Pontiac Firebird - Might find an LT1 if not look for a 3rd gen with a V8 or a 4th gen 3800 V6
Chevrolet Caprice
Nissan Maxima and Altima

Well, there's a start.

drdisque
03-01-2006, 04:49 PM
If you're looking for just a reliable sedan I suggest a Chevy Lumina, Pontiac Grand Prix, Buick LeSabre, or Buick Century.

becscar
03-02-2006, 01:19 PM
Thanks for all the car suggestions, I really appreciate the help!!

becscar
03-02-2006, 01:23 PM
Thanks so much for your car suggestions! I am going to look into these. While I am doing much research online, I am finding that others agree with you, that these are good reliable American and foreign cars.
Thanks again:)

Hofmeister
03-15-2006, 03:39 PM
I highly recommend a Maxima. It's easily got one of the best (if not the best) V6 avaiable for its time. It's got enough torque down low but pulls strong to redline. And with the 5-speed manual, it'll take out just about any 4-door sedan from the 1990's. I've got over 150,000 miles on my Max and it'll keep up with just about anything, and runs like a top. It's easy on gas, and just about as reliable as a tank.

If you're looking at a 3800 GM, watch out for coolant leaks.

becscar
03-15-2006, 04:30 PM
Thank you for the advice. Can I ask, does 3800 pertain to the engine size or type? Or what does that mean? I am noticing a marked number of coolant leaking problems on several GM vehicles.

Hofmeister
03-15-2006, 06:05 PM
A 3800 series engine is a 3.8L V6 from General Motors, 2 valve per cylinder pushrod engine. It's got some serious low-end grunt and made 280 lb-ft of torque in supercharged varients in the the later 1990's. It has its roots traced back to the early 1960's and it's a true workhorse. It's served GM well, but it's not as refined as newer DOHC engines. In the 90's GM used it mostly in the W body platform (amongst others) such as the Grand Prix, Buick Century/Regal, Olds Intrigue. GM is in the process of fazing it out. Parts are cheap because there are so many of them around.

becscar
03-15-2006, 06:12 PM
Great, thanks for the info!!!

harrymay
03-16-2006, 03:26 PM
a 3800 series would be a good choice. i had one, the only thing is that it is a gm and i had a lot of other problems with it. the engine is strong

a car for under 4000, i would suggest an early 90's maxima. they will easily go past 200k with relatively low maintenance. the parts are fairly cheap since there are a lot fo those on the road and they share the same basic engine as the 300zx, frontier, pathfinder, quest, and i think xterra. the VG30e is a good strong block, and the tranny 5spd or auto is very strong. Plus the build quality is awesome.

older camry's are over priced, same with accords.

harrymay
03-16-2006, 03:27 PM
btw i bought my 92 gxe maxima with 110k for 2500, ran strong for 1 year till i wrecked it.

Add your comment to this topic!