Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1st IMport Drags

havicks29
02-28-2006, 08:09 PM
IM going to my first drag race this sunday. Im racing my 99 mitsubishi eclipse gs (yes..... its automatic) I know that makes it even slower than it already is. But I need some ideas on how to make it launch a little better. I havent even been to a drag strip with it. So I need some pointers on how to get the best performance out of it that I can. ANy help would be greatly appreciated.

drdisque
02-28-2006, 11:20 PM
when you stage, put your left foot on the brake and press the gas a little with your right foot (~1500 rpm is a fine starting point for your first run), then when the third yellow lights up, drop your left foot off the brake and floor the gas at the same time and just keep your foot planted the whole way down, just leave the car in Drive, no point in "shifting" it.

havicks29
03-01-2006, 09:04 PM
when you stage, put your left foot on the brake and press the gas a little with your right foot (~1500 rpm is a fine starting point for your first run), then when the third yellow lights up, drop your left foot off the brake and floor the gas at the same time and just keep your foot planted the whole way down, just leave the car in Drive, no point in "shifting" it.

I was told by a good friend that if I put it into low1 and do what you are saying I might get a better launch. then after launch shift to 2 then shortly into drive. Should this be all in overdrive or starting off with O/D off?

tomtom206
03-02-2006, 01:43 PM
seriosly pull off as fast as you can

drdisque
03-07-2006, 05:33 PM
don't try to shift your automatic, thats pointless and will only make you slower

Having overdrive on or off also doesn't really matter, because your car won't shift into 4th in a 1/4 mile, you'll probably barely get into 3rd

Add your comment to this topic!