Page updated on 06-24-2018

91 PA fuel leaking sending unit/hose connection

johnd89
02-28-2006, 12:02 AM
Hi,

My hose(s) are leaking right at the connection with the metal pipes from the sending unit at the fuel tank.
http://www.rockauto.com/ref/FineLine/Detail.html?SU150.jpg
apparently they rusted out badly...
On the other hand, the fuel gauge is still working well...

I am thinking to cut the metal lines off, do the same for the quick connects on the vinyl lines and use some rubber hoses to make the connections back.

How should I go about cutting the lines without my dremel (don't wanna set the whole thing up in flames...)

On the other hand, If I can find a NEW sending unit selling for cheap, I may simply replace that one and keep my hoses intact.

Did anyone did this kind of job before?
Any input is welcome!!

Thx!

Loekee75
02-28-2006, 07:04 PM
I wouldn't mess with cutting the hoses, placing rubber inserted hose in will just lead to more leaks in the future. I'd replace the whole unit and leave the hoses as is.

johnd89
02-28-2006, 09:06 PM
thx for the reply!
I did find the whole unit (everything included) for some 60 bucks brand new.

Loekee75
02-28-2006, 11:32 PM
Hey johnd
Lately my gauge has been all out of whack, I think it's about time I look at my fuel sending unit as well. My light's been coming on before the needle even touches the orange area, then the needle slowly fluctuates. Just curious, how does your fuel gauge look now that you have a new unit?

johnd89
03-01-2006, 08:33 AM
Hello,

I will hopefuly change the unit this week. I'll report back any changes in the gauge behaviour.
As it is, when is 1/4 fuel left in, in a RIGHT high speed turn (geting off the highway for instance) the gauge needle will go in the red zone and ultimately the engine will stop due to fuel starvation!
That is not something you want to experiment all day long as it could lead to premature wear of the fuel pump by heating up when running empty.
I just make sure to take it easy in turns when running on fumes, or simply top it off as soon as it goes below half full.

the needle on mine fluctuates only when braking/ accelerating (it shows more gas when accelerating and vice-versa).

johnd89
03-05-2006, 04:34 PM
finished the job yesterday!
the 3 metal tubes going into the tank were so corroded, that they snapped right off: scary!

I decided not to use the replacement sending unit, simply trimmed off the rusted tubes where they were still good.

to do the job you simply need 5 ft gasoline hose and a bunch of fuel injection hose clamps.

1. put rear of the car on jackstands as high as you can (on the rear crossmember);
2 remove rear wheelsl;
3 unbolt the rear muffler hangers and the one right after the cat, let the exhaust system hang on the floor;
4 support tank with floor jack;
5 cut old rusted out tank straps with dremel (if you cannot remove the bolts);
6 lower tank carefully-disconect all hoses/wires attached to it before that-;
7 cut off pipes and hose quick connects
8 install new hoses to connect pipes to the original hoses;
9 patch up the old straps if you want to reuse them (sandwich each with two steel plates and assemble with stainless bolts)

you're good to reassemble

Add your comment to this topic!