Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

I feel Stupid

MandaCHase
02-27-2006, 11:03 PM
:banghead: $5000 later I feel like I'm the biggest Doof ever!
I purchased a '95 Cutlass Supreme Convertiable from a locally owned used car dealership, in fact he's located two streets away. Anyways - when I looked at the car, listened to run, checked everything out... I asked a million questions. For example - when the car started, it hesitated than when it did start it made a high pitched noise. Anyways... I asked if these things would be replaced & repaired... I was given an immediate YES. I asked quite clearly whether or not EVERYTHING electronic and powered worked, again I was given an immediate YES (needless to say I didn't check, my own fault). I was given a HUGE run around...the dealer openly told me the car was stolen and siezed... but the title was clean... he gave me his word and a 60 day full bumper to bumper warranty. I'll admit it.. I fell for it! I actually believed this guy was genuine. *Bends Over*
Needless to say here's where the problems begin and I have a weird feeling...
for one.. I called to request the VIN number to do carfax.com - he gave me a run around that he didn't have it on hand.. blah blah would call me back. He never did. Caution sign #1 right? Yea well....
The day the car is paid in full he delievers it to me withOUT an inspection sticker... according to NY state law any dealer MUST deliever it to the consumer WITH the sticker on there (right?).. also if I read correctly... no used car dealer within NY state can sell a car "As IS".. right? He claimed "He ran out of stickers and had to pick one up"... Caution Sign #2.... but than the thought crosses my mind... that's one screw up on his part I can use as leverage no? Yea well... right. He picked me up the next day to take me to the DMV to get the registration, title, ect done .. this is why I believed he was genuine he was willing to assist... *Bends over again*. When he dropped me off he put the sticker on.. I pointed out that moment that the two back windows wont go down, the passenger switch doesn't work for the window, the windshiled washer resovior is missing (WTH?), the car is still starting hard, still making the noise, and that there's no way in h%$$ those tires could off passed inspection. :disappoin
By this point I'm tired and really angry. Not to mention I discover at the DMV the title says "Salvage". Regardless please let me point out that I DID screw up purchasing this car, it was my first... but I need some help here.. this guy is taking me for a run and I'm not sure where I stand legally.

I've managed to get him to fix and replace the belt, purchase four new tires, install the battery I HAD to buy, and that's it. I'm still missing my resorvior, MIDAS told me I have an oil leak & tranny leak (and it's eatting up oil like you wouldn't believe)....a different mechanic said I Don't have ANY leaks, the car idles up and down when in park, NOW :banghead: the "Service Engine" light is on!!! I have owned this car for exactly TWO weeks... I have called and called requesting things to be repaired and he's just ignoring me and giving the run around as to "Why" he can't do it right now.
I screwed up... now how do I fix it? This just isn't right. I have ALL the paperwork as far as recipts, I have kept a record of contact, requests, phone calls, repairs.. I've taken the car to two different places for two different overviews and each of them said basically the same thing... the car needs this and that.. ect.
I ran Carfax the other night and just broke down into a fit... in 2003 the car was totaled and issued a rebuilt title in 2004. HE NEVER told me the car was in an accident and I ASKED him as well as his mechanic specifically when they told me it was stolen and siezed.

So sorry for the long long rant I'm just at a complete loss... do I Just drop it and keep investing or do I go after him with all I have? :frown:

nikita7
02-27-2006, 11:33 PM
Man, sorry to hear about your trouble. Sounds like a dealer f@#ked you. If I was you I would take the car back to him and get your money back. I am not sure about legal side of the matter but it looks like he sold you a lemon and refuses to cooperate. Seems like he is violating quiete a few laws as a dealer, so threatening with court should be one of your leverages if he refuses to take the car back.

tri-power
03-01-2006, 01:34 AM
I believe in NY any car sold by a dealer thats over 1500 has to have an implied warranty unless speciffically noted othewise. I could be wrong. If so, you should get his dealer number which is supposed to be posted on the front of the building and turn it into the DMV for both the deal itself and for illegal inspection.

The one thing I"m not sure about is the salvage. Because it's a salvage car the law might be different.

MandaCHase
03-01-2006, 07:01 AM
I believe in NY any car sold by a dealer thats over 1500 has to have an implied warranty unless speciffically noted othewise. I could be wrong. If so, you should get his dealer number which is supposed to be posted on the front of the building and turn it into the DMV for both the deal itself and for illegal inspection.
The one thing I'm not sure about is the salvage. Because it's a salvage car the law might be different.

Thanks for the reply tri-power. I ordered the book on "Lemon Law" from the Attorney General's office, I read it twice from cover to cover. My car falls into the category according to the purchase price (which was well over $1500), it had 75,000 + on it when I recieved it so it should have a 60 day warranty, I requested a written warranty from the dealer but he didn't give me and again according to this book it states if the dealer fails to give you a written warranty than under the lemon law he's giving you one if that makes sense, it also states that in order to be considered a "Lemon" it must be in the shop for 15 days (does not have to be consecuative) - my car has been in the shop 6 times in two weeks and is going back AGAIN, that if the dealer attempts to repair or have a problem repaired 3 times and fails to successfully fix the problem it is considered a lemon. But what if he blantly chooses to ignore a problem?

For example -
Since owning the car it has a viberation in the front, the ONLY way I can describe this is.. it feels like you're driving on a flat tire. I forced him to replace the two front tires b/c according to MIDAS (I Paid them to inspect tha car) that two front tires should NOT have passed inspection.. the passenger front is missing a lugnut & Bolt which if I'm correct is a safety issue because the viberation can loosen the others right? Well anyways... he took the car and replaced them alright... with USED tires that had min. tread AND (this is the good part)... he put two different size tires on the front... a 14!!! and a 15... my backs are 16... isn't that awesome! :screwy:
So he must have thought I wouldn't notice (but who wouldn't?) I took the car back again.... this time to a tire shop, they contacted him and forced him to purchase two tires (16's) , ect. Now I'm STILL waiting on the lugnut and bolt.. I have requested this THREE times and he just called yesterday to tell me I'll have to wait a few more days "He's busy". Needless to say to sum this whole situation up.....
Problems that I have requested be checked and or repaired...
He ALWAYS tells me the SAME Thing "You took it where? Oh they're in it for the money. THere's nothing wrong with the car." OR ... "I'm going through divorce, ect ect I just need break.. I promise I'll fix it." WTF right?

O well sorry to babble. It just mezmorizes me what F&ck heads some people are. I paid in total $4100 for this vehicle not to mention the $1000 in the past week I've dumped into the car to repair it myself because he has failed to do so. Just to list a few of the problems:

The car idles up and down when in park, if you accelerate the car above 4 rpms in park it revs erractically, I was told by TWO different mechanics I have an oil leak & tranny leak, it starts hard (I've already replaced the battery so it has to be the starter), and than there's the minor things that all add up to be one BIG a$$ bill when its time to get them fixed.

I'm just p$ssed.. but who wouldn't be right? I mean I'll be honest... I am a stay at home mom, full time college student, I have two kids, and my husband works his a$$ off full time for the money we get. $4100 is a LOT of money to us and a HUGE investment. Now I expected to invest money into this car... I did.... but paying $4100.00 for a vehicle.. there shouldn't be THIS much wrong with it right? :frown:

tri-power
03-01-2006, 11:07 AM
That is about what I'd expect to hear. I'd bring it to him daily untill the issues are fixed, and read back to my prior post and consider doing that. Maybe if the threat of losing his dealers license is imminent, he's just take care of it to get you out of his hair. Make sure you tell him you've been in contact with the DMV and the attorney general about his practices and his license. Just be careful withthat, as he might try to stick it to you somewhere where you can't detect it.

stoned_pimp420
03-04-2006, 12:49 AM
4100 dollars, hell if you bought ANY vehicle from me for 4100 dollars it would be in excellent mechanical condition, and pretty decent cosmetic standards as well. But that's not saying much considering the most I've sold a car for was like 1800 dollars and it still runs like new and still under a somewhat limited warranty. Seeing as to how I don't have a licence for selling cars but I do have a car lot with over 18 vehicles on it I consider myself a used car dealer.

fredjacksonsan
04-12-2006, 10:00 AM
:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead: :banghead::banghead::banghead:
:banghead::banghead::banghead:WHY?:banghead::bangh ead::banghead:
:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead: :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Your first move should be to get rid of the vehicle and get your money back. Since it seems the laws are in your favor, contact someone in NY that deals with this sort of thing, so that you can return it. Also contact an attorney as that is what you might have to do. The previous advice about going back to the dealer again and again is sound. I wouldn't put another dollar into the vehicle, unless you're forced to keep it.

Second move, when you go to get another car, is check the Kelley Blue Book value AND CARFAX before you buy.

A quick check on www.kbb.com (http://www.kbb.com) shows that your '95 Cutlass Supreme is worth $4400 -- in excellent condition.

Remember that although buying a car can be an emotional experience, don't let that excitement damage your ability to recognize a bad deal when you see one.

Add your comment to this topic!