Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

I know I'm going to regret this,

rodeo02
02-27-2006, 08:30 PM
but I did the unthinkable today :uhoh: . I traded off our rodeo for a used 2005 trailblazer 4x4.:screwy: Had a bunch on our plate as of late 1) Couldn't fit all three kiddies in the rodeo (4,2,6months), 2) The last Isuzu dealer in the Buffalo area is basically gone, 3) She needed tires, brakes and has a funky thermostat/cooling system thing going on. My dilemma was, do I throw a bunch of money at it & drive on, or do we cash out & move on as her value has pretty much peaked?!? We opted for option two. Good news is, trade-in value is pretty good for rodeos. I got $10200 for her @ 43Kmi w/ out breaking a sweat so I couldn't complain- atleast too bad. Got the 2005 TB LS 4x4, 16Kmi for $17900. I hated to do it since we love the rodeo so much and it was always good to us. I put very little into it in almost 4yrs. Given the care I gave to it, somebody is going to get a great used rodeo. That's a fact. I chose the Chevy TB for a few reasons. I love GM's 'new' vortec DOHC inline 6, no timing belt, no EGR system, much simpler exhaust, 4L60E trans w/ dipstick, nice size, etc..etc I'm not huge on the looks or the 'GM' part, but that's the way it goes. There cant be a TB forum as cool as this one. I hope you guys don’t consider me an outcast now that I'm zu-less! We still have one 'zu left in the family, my cousin's 2002 trooper, so hanging around here is a must. I can only hope the trailblazer treats us as good as the rodeo did. Thanks for listening fellas

Joel

marcre
02-27-2006, 09:13 PM
I am speechless.... but I understand. I wasn't aware, is Towne Isuzu gone? Good luck with the new ride and you have to stick around. That TrailBlazer does sound nice.

marc

surferfletch
02-27-2006, 09:43 PM
Good luck with the new ride! Thanks for all your help! That's a good seller for GM so you should have an easy time with parts and info, no?

amigo-2k
02-27-2006, 09:54 PM
SELL OUT! Just kidding! I would be interested in knowing how the MPG on it is.

Don't run to far away from this site we all still need you around!

Ramblin Fever
02-27-2006, 11:58 PM
I see how you are:cwm27:

Admit it though, you were also leary of the engine as well - with hearing of the instances of rod throwing even without being low on oil.

I honestly can't say I blame you, they're not the easiest vehicle to work on, and who knows whether or not all of these newer one's are still covered under an extended warranty when there are no dealers around.

I believe unless Isuzu comes back out solid in the next 4-5yrs, this ol' faithful '97 will be my last Isuzu. There's just too many uncertanties and too many 3.2L Dohc & 3.5L engines blowing up for no true reason; and you do hear of many people having good to excellent luck and being problem free, but you also hear of just as many, if not more, having mild, moderate and heavy issues at very low mileage.

And in all honesty, Joel, your Rodeo was one of the good ones, but truly you also have to admit, your miles on that Rodeo, for it's 4yrs of age were very low, I had 70k on mine by the time it hit it's 3rd year.

On the Trailblazer, did you get the extended version?

My sister has the standard LS model, with the one back seat bench, and I've got to say, with only her two kids, one still in a booster seat at 6yrs and the other, a 10yr old boy that's the height of a 13yr old - when I get in the back seat with them, and I'm not a very tall person, we're pretty tight.

But she has the 2002 yr model, I'm sure the newer ones are roomier.

They bought it used with 100k miles, needs tires, new exhaust (has a crack somewhere), but nothing unusual, and it's also the 4.2L I6 - they're gonna keep it for maybe 2 yrs and trade it for a Suburban, with 2 boys there's just not enough room for much growing space.

I was wondering if it had a timing belt - pardon the ignorance, but how does the engine spin without one? What about spark plugs and all that stuff?

I'm not very familiar with the Inline's, I looked good and hard at the I-380, Chevy Colorado look-alike, and the only thing I didn't like about it was there was just no storage cubby holes, or storage areas at all.

That I6 doesn't have the intake manifold issues like the vortec's do does it?

Keep us posted, and FWIW, through some 5w-30 Maxlife or Havoline blend in that puppy. That's what my sister's likes. No need to be running an oil like Rotella on that young of an engine.

And for pete's sake, on a good warm day, take that family for a drive, go sight-seeing, throw a picnic. That's what was wrong with your cooling system on that Rodeo, you didn't drive it enough, it was lonely! :rofl:

highlandlake
02-28-2006, 07:01 AM
Well Joel, no more Isuzu but at least you have a GM!
Can't blame you, sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do. Nice trade in value............wonder what the next owner will do to keep it in fine shape?
Hopefully they will become a regular here and learn the nuances of these.
Take care, stay in touch. Tom

rodeo02
02-28-2006, 08:10 AM
Thanks for the kind words guys. Yeah the TB MPG's look to be right with the 1998+ rodeos. You see 14-15 at the low end and 20-21 hi. Marc, the towne dealer in West Seneca sold out to a medical center. They are breaking ground next to towne ford in Orchard Park a few miles down the road. Kirk, (our only) isuzu service rep couldn't answer if the new facililty will include an isuzu sign or not!?!? He just said "they don't have any (isuzu) product to sell". I just hate the fact that I bought a 10/120 warranty which is useless if you have no dealer. Ramblin, instead of a T-belt, it's got a chain. We got the short version of the TB as the extended and XUV were phased out. Yeah, the back seat isn's huge, but it has JUST enough room for 3 car seats, where it wouldn't work in the rodayo. Thanks fellas.

Joel

billindelicato
02-28-2006, 09:50 AM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO BENEDICT ARNOLD!!! there is the isuzu dealership in orchard park... i have a buddy that works there and gets me good deals on parts!!! eh i cant complain my first suv was a blazer 1988 s10 sport...i beat the hell out of that truck even went so far as to buy a new engine after 103000 miles. good luck joel!!!

Ramblin Fever
02-28-2006, 10:33 AM
Oh timing chain duh - didn't even think of that.

Our 1st Rodeo had a chain, it did good up to 150k and then it started making noise, we decided to trade it for the same reason you have. Needed something bigger.

That Chevy will serve you good, they've always been very good vehicles, we've had too many to remember them all, but they were all (minus 2) very easy to take care of and lasted a long time. The 2 flukes that we had were just that.

Stay in touch when you can.

tomlcollins
02-28-2006, 11:49 AM
Appreciate all the posts! I think you'll be happy with the TB. GM still makes good cars. If nothing else, you should be proud you're supporting an American car company during their troubled times...many forget that.
I'm actually still thinking about getting a Colorado myself, but I'm waiting until the resale on a 4x4 Crew Cab comes below 15K or so before I make my move. Guess I'll have to suck up the sorry MPG until then.
Good luck!
Tom C

rodeo02
02-28-2006, 01:48 PM
..there is the isuzu dealership in orchard park... i have a buddy that works there and gets me good deals on parts..

I can't confirm, but I'm sure parts will be avail for a loooong time at the 'new' dealership even with no isuzu sales. Thing is, they surely wont have a 'dedicated' isuzu tech/mechanic or much of a knowledge base, plus they would be the ONLY parts counter & 'service' for something like 100 miles (not sure exactly). I live out in the boonies and I have 4 chevy dealers in a ~20mi radius. I know I'm gonna mis that rodeo. They are without a doubt, the best looking SUV out there, and I loved the ride and performance. They have the prettiest engine compartment too. From the little I drove it, the TB was ballzy as all get out & sooper comfortable, but they are a mini-vanish looking SUV :greddy2: Yeah.. listen to me, I drive a freaking windstar (brownstar as I like to call her :evillol: )

Joel

rodeo02
02-28-2006, 02:01 PM
Ramblin- you're right about the low mileage thing. My wife took over the rodeo right after we bought it (imagine that) and was mostly driven by her until baby #3 came, then the rodeo was turned over to me for my DD. She works one day a week so the rodeo sat in the garage most of the time, thus the low miles. I drive 60mi round trip to work- sometimes MANY days/nites in a row (shiftwork), so actually quite a bit'o miles were racked up in the last ~6mo on her. Ramblin, you'd have a hayday with the vortec 4.2L, it holds something like 6-7qts of oil! :uhoh: You'd go broke my friend! As far as IMG goes on the inline 6, dunno of any from the research I've done. Seems like a pretty hardy motor. Oh and it's got throttle by wire too, and I bet it's the same TB as the 2000+ 3.2/3.5 so well have to compare interchangeable parts!

Joel

directory
02-28-2006, 05:30 PM
if you wnated bigger, there is a chevy suburban 4x4 454 down the road from me....

black...sooo cool. i would have to trade in the passport for something like that!

Ramblin Fever
02-28-2006, 05:47 PM
Ramblin, you'd have a hayday with the vortec 4.2L, it holds something like 6-7qts of oil! :uhoh: You'd go broke my friend!
Joel

I believe it's 7 qts, per my sister's TB.

Broke?? Silly bird, that's only 1 qt more then the Rodeo - it would actually be fun :uhoh:

Yeah right! But with a diesel that holds more then my 2 DD's, 2 other trucks, and a boat, what's 1 more quart on the homefront!

Honestly though, if I had a new vehicle, and a 7qt sump, and it was a DD that seen more then 15 miles daily, I'd only do the oil every 8-9k. Wouldn't even fathom doing it more then every 5-6k like I do on these ol' timers.

I don't spend as much $$$ on oil as you think though, I was for a short bit, just to rid of the tick that suddenly appeared on the Rodeo, but all of those short OCI's worked, hasn't ticked since. But I also haven't used regular Havoline in it since.

My diesel runs on the Delo 400 15w-40, which I'll be switching the Toyota to permanently, it's an excellent oil for a very cheap price in comparison to the Rotella. And the Rotella is what I'll put back in the Rodeo come next change out, it is pricey at 6qts per OCI, but I'll be running for a minimum 6-7k each time, and it'll stay on that permanently.

Last UOA showed the engine was very clean, with the exception of the OEM filter not filtering as good as it should. So, I'm gonna start running the Motorcraft filters, and lengthen out the OCI quite a bit. There was a LOT of life left to that oil after only 3k, just wasn't happy with the insolubles count.

I wish I could lengthen out the Toyota's OCI, but it has such a small sump. I have to change that truck every 3 mnths, the Dodge diesel only gets changed twice yearly, and the Rodeo will get changed in May and go for 6-7k, it depends on how many trips we take in it this summer. It may only get 2 oci's a year from now on.

The boat gets an OCI only once a year.

I've really thought more and more about that I-380, I5 cylinder, but it would have to be the Chevy Colorado, I'm not too interested in buying the Isuzu one - ONLY because if I chose to trade it in after only a few years, I wouldn't get any value on it. But, it'll have to wait until the Toyota's ready to hit the junk yard - hopefully not for a long while yet, love not having any car payments right now.

rodeo02
02-28-2006, 06:31 PM
I with a diesel that holds more then my 2 DD's, 2 other trucks, and a boat, what's 1 more quart on the homefront!

Honestly though, if I had a new vehicle, and a 7qt sump, and it was a DD that seen more then 15 miles daily, I'd only do the oil every 8-9k. Wouldn't even fathom doing it more then every 5-6k like I do on these ol' timers..

You've got a lot of fuel burning goodies!! :grinyes: Yeah I dunno how I'll setup the OCI's yet. I have a feeling the new TB was LUCKY to have 2 oil changes in it's first 16Kmi :banghead: . I might run a shocker of LC and dump what it comes with. Don't have the TB yet, waiting for my credit unit to cut me a check :uhoh: .

THanks
Joel

Ramblin Fever
02-28-2006, 07:14 PM
What kind of oil are you gonna run in it?

rodeo02
03-01-2006, 07:51 AM
Geez, I dunno yet Rambin. Hanging around BITOG for a few years overloads you with info. :screwy: It will be a 30wt, just dunno what's best yet 0w-30, 5w-30 or 10w-30! I already picked up a WIX filter (carquest premium). They use a pretty large filter that mounts open-end up, so that will be nice.

Joel

Ramblin Fever
03-01-2006, 09:43 AM
Hanging around BITOG for a few years overloads you with info. :screwy:

Joel

Isn't that the truth? Too much for my own good, actually, and I've only been there for just over 6 mnths. Much toooo long :banghead:

Canucklehead
03-01-2006, 10:33 AM
It will be a 30wt, just dunno what's best yet 0w-30, 5w-30 or 10w-30!Mobil1 has a T&S 5W30 now. Now sure of the specs and how similar it is to the 5W40 though.

rodeo02
03-03-2006, 10:38 AM
We had a moment of silence at the house today. Last few hours with the rodeo :crying: . She gets turned over along with a check for $12500 for the 2005 TB :banghead: . I guess the bright side is we'll be paying less per month for the TB. $293/mo for 48mo, vs. $305/ 60mo that the rodeo was. Got 5.9% thru my credit union. I'm hoping not to need the extra dollars for repairs :uhoh: .

Joel

Ramblin Fever
03-03-2006, 07:25 PM
I'm hoping not to need the extra dollars for repairs :uhoh: .

Joel

Repairs?? :screwy: On a 16k mile vehicle, doubtful.

Besides, don't jinx yourself! Dump the oil, tranny fluid, and transfer case fluid, and call it a go.

You got a hold of a fantastic rig and fantastic deal, so what are you regretting?

There's nothing to 2nd guess, you're more then welcome to still be apart of our gang - and heck, you got more power, less maintenance, less financial debt, less miles, what ARE you regretting?

Your rig just doesn't have the looks - Trailblazer vs Rodeo :shakehead . But, you can't have everything!

Turn the key and drive my friend, and have fun passing us Rodeo's in our 3.2L's :rofl:

SOLSTER
03-12-2006, 06:05 PM
WOW - I'm stunned :crying:

RODEO02 you're on our the founding members here - and I've always appreciated your help.

Oddly enough, I was just looking at an old quote of yours about oil filters - I posted it a ways back on the Solstice Forum!
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/showpost.php?p=143650&postcount=53

Anyways, I don't hang here all the time, so I'm amazed I actually caught your post.

For everyone's sake - we'll hope you stick around as a hobby - and I wish you the very best.

Thanks for all your help over the past years!

rodeo02
03-12-2006, 07:17 PM
Thanks Solster!:cheers: I cant stay away from this forum for long. Too many good people and good info. This is the best of the Isuzu forums IMHO.

Joel

Gizmo42
03-13-2006, 11:11 AM
Personally I would have kept the rodeo and gotten rid of the the windstar. But thats just me, I'm not a ford fan and definatly not a windstar fan.

My brother was all set on buying one until I told him to chech the consumer complaints on the NHTSA site and count the number of transmission complaints. They used the same or some form of that transmission in mazda 626's and average life span seems to be around 30k miles (my ex gf had one and sold it as soon as the trans started acting up).

rodeo02
03-13-2006, 03:44 PM
Gizmo- Yeah, fords have their issues, as does the windstar. Mine has actually been rock solid. Bought it w/ 30Kmi, it's currently got 60K. The AX4N transaxle in them is a carry-over from the taurus. They are overworked in the winny and will blacken ATF every 30Kmi. Same with the power steering system in them. If u dont change the ATF they will blow around 50-60Kmi.:banghead: Unfortunately, with a family of 5, 3 little ones, a HUGE vehicle or MV is needed for any trips where u need to bring stuff. Guess I'm either old or just worn out 'cause I like driving the brownstar. It's actually pretty ballzy with the 210hp 3.8L in it + it avgs 23mpg for regular driving.

Joel

rodeo02
04-05-2006, 06:37 PM
Here she is! http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=199738710&dealer_id=74246&car_year=2002&search_type=both&make=ISU&distance=25&model=RODEO&address=14170&certified=&advanced=&max_price=&bkms=1144279369812&min_price=&end_year=2007&start_year=2002&isp=y&lang=en&card
The dealer I traded the rodeo in at finally got around to putting her out on the lot. Someone's gonna get a nice rodeo. They gave me $10200 for her.

Joel

2eyefishclaw
04-05-2006, 08:33 PM
see there are som GM fans here I am not one of them
I dont mean to piss in anyones cheerios but my opinion is that GM is going to be the downfall of Isuzu
the Trailblazer is not a bad vehicle just would not be able to sit in my driveway I have worked on Dodge, Ford, Gm, and Isuzu
I have learned that the chrysler corp. makes a great boat anchor
GM is ok just hell to work on the newer ones
Isuzu used to make a quality product untill all the GM parts appeared on them
Ford is my choice because it's are rare thing to have to have them worked on other than maintenance. (like I said MY opinion) everyone is entilted to their own hope I did not offend any of you guys.

Ramblin Fever
04-05-2006, 10:04 PM
see there are som GM fans here I am not one of them
I dont mean to piss in anyones cheerios but my opinion is that GM is going to be the downfall of Isuzu
the Trailblazer is not a bad vehicle just would not be able to sit in my driveway I have worked on Dodge, Ford, Gm, and Isuzu
I have learned that the chrysler corp. makes a great boat anchor
GM is ok just hell to work on the newer ones
Isuzu used to make a quality product untill all the GM parts appeared on them
Ford is my choice because it's are rare thing to have to have them worked on other than maintenance. (like I said MY opinion) everyone is entilted to their own hope I did not offend any of you guys.

No offense taken; I too believe Isuzu has wrongly been accused in regards to parts from GM, I've believed that for a long time.

I keep wondering, in the future, of what I'll end up replacing my two daily driver's with, I keep toying with the idea of the Chevy Colorado for the inline-5 engine and the simplicity of it. .. But I still can't get over the fact that we had a VERY well taken care of '99 Chevy that just literally started falling apart, problem after problem with only 90k on the OD.

I understand different engine, different truck all-together, but what's NOT different was the fact that we were treated like crap by the dealership as well as the corporation; they were not willing to even look at the issues - and there were a LOT of issues that just krept up all within 7-10k miles of eachother.

Now we had an outstanding, fantastic '79 Chevy Scottsdale that I thought I'd never part with - never wanted to, but she got OLD with over 400k on the OD. Don't build 'em like that one anymore - everything engine wise was original, no seals or gaskets were ever replaced.

Unless Isuzu comes out strong in the next 3-4yrs, thinking I'll end up with a used Toyota Tacoma double cab to replace the current 20yr old Toyota, and following that, I have the feeling a Nissan Xterra will be parked in the drive within the next 5-7yrs.

Love the 2005-2006 Xterra's for their power/torque band, but would like to see some get into the higher mileage area before making a decision. Don't particularly care for the weak engine of the 2000-2004 years, and they've had their share of IMG, head-gaskets, throw-out bearings, and some are experiencing auto tranny issues with barely 100k.

I do have the Dodge Cummins diesel and it's been a great vehicle so far, but it doesn't see the daily grind to know if it would hold up under the same "torture" - if you will. I believe a daily driven vehicle, mostly city use, see's more torture then a rarely driven only highway vehicle.

Time will tell on the Dodge, it is an auto that gets it's fluid changed VERY frequently - that's where I feel the weakness is with that truck, along with the fuel pump (but that's been taken care of); funny, that's where I feel a lot of truck's have that weakness - transmissions.

Gizmo42
04-06-2006, 10:10 AM
I wouldnt really say I'm a fan of GM. I too belive GM screwed up isuzu and wish they would have left them alone. Really I'm a japanese vehicle fan.

If I HAD to have an "american" vehicle it would be either a GM or Dodge. I have never personally owned an american 4 wheeled vehicle (1 honda, 2 toyotas, 2 isuzus, and a mitsu) but freinds and family members have had them and the fords have had alot more problems by far. I dont think there is such a thing as a good american vehicle, though they have gotten a bit better.

My dad work van, '89 e-250, was the worst peice of junk I'd ever seen (company truck, he had no say in brand). He picked it up from the lot with 2 miles on it. Got 6 blocks and the wiring harness fried. Happened 3 more times before the dealer figured out the problem. They just had loose wires in the steering column taped to the housing with masking tape (this was factory design). Something on the steering would catch a wire and short it out. Over the next 2 yrs the side door fell off, steering box fell off, 2 transmissions, front wheel bearings locked up, front spindles snapped, engine replaced, various little problems. He tried to take it back under lemon law but the mechanic said dont bother, they are all like that. Cost around $4k per year to keep it running. The '91 that replaced it was a bit better and only cost $3k per year.

At least ford finally got away from that stupid I-beam suspension. Kept the tire companies happy though.

All of our work trucks (all fords) have had at least 1 fuel pump replaced, they are all '00 or newer. Last month one of the '05s had the transmission go out.

Everyone has personal opinions and experiences with different brands, to each his own. Alot of ppl swear by harleys too, I wouldnt own another one if it was given to me.

rodeo02
04-06-2006, 12:30 PM
As far as I know, Isuzus have always been loaded with GM parts, even from day one. It is too bad they never had the resources to cut their ties with GM. Well... isuzu has the resources, they chose not to use them that way. Each brand has it's makes/models with issues which is why I've never been brand loyal. I'm not crazy about GM, but at least there is a dealer every 10 miles should you need parts or service. If you don't like one dealer, the next is a stones throw away. My company buys fords for their service trucks. We have hundreds of F150, 250's and vans. They are like clockwork with the front end and transmission problems, and thats just a part of it. FMC gives the best corporate rate, so that's what you get. I'd LOVE a toyota or a honda, but I refuse to pay their proud pricing. I cant afford it! I'd still have the rodeo if support was available locally. My local dealership is not going to carry isuzu much longer, and their service has gotten HORRIBLE. There's NO WHERE else to go! The trailblazer has your typical GM crappy plastics/interior/trim and shoddy build quality. The pluses are an awesome inline 6 engine, basic maintenance that's a snap to do, excellent ride, interior room and they are affordable second hand. You'd be crazy to pay anywhere near sticker for one.

Joel

Ramblin Fever
04-06-2006, 04:11 PM
I'd LOVE a toyota or a honda, but I refuse to pay their proud pricing. I cant afford it!
Joel

I hear you there - and I agree, I think their pricing is a RIP off totally. Which is why if I bought one, the Tacoma, it would be used with probably 80-100k miles, as the truck would be seeing a high amount of mileage daily anyway. There's no sense in buying new when you put on close to 30k a year.

The Chevy dealerships here in Colorado are all the same, or at least they were at the time, in terms of crappy service.

I agree with you wholeheartedly about trying to find an Isuzu dealership for any future parts/warranty on those still within warranty. We have 2 dealerships left here in town, but it won't be long, which is why I understand why those that still have vehicles left in warranty are trading in. I probably would too, if mine was still in warranty and still had a loan at the same time.

That's why I was very timid on wanting to buy that I-380 I saw 2 months back for only $20k on a brand-new 2006. When it comes to the dealerships, it doesn't matter if it's "mostly" GM, they still see that Isuzu name and the value drops like crazy.

For the type of vehicle the Trailblazer is, I think it's a fantastic vehicle personally. It's suiting my sister and her family VERY well - I don't see any problem with it as of now anyway.

In regards to Blue book value, etc. that can be said for MANY vehicles, makes and models, I don't believe the asking price from dealerships is anywhere close to what the vehicle is actually worth. In other words, I think ALL vehicles are WAY overpriced, personally.

Take the typical Hyundai now, they've raised the prices so much, that's it's not just a car you can simply by for just the commute anymore - it literally has to fit into your budget AS one of the primary vehicles.

I will never buy a Honda - WAY WAY out of my price league, don't think the value is what it used to be. The Toyota truck's will probably always be one of the daily driver's - but as long as we're in this line of work, it'll never be a new one. It would be well over 150k before the loan would even be paid off - there's just no sense to that.

I've only ever bought 2 new vehicles, or I should say 2 that had less then 15k at the time of purchase - the '91 Rodeo had 2k miles and the '97 Rodeo had 11k miles. These were the newest of vehicles we've ever owned.

Add your comment to this topic!