93 3.4L intermittently dies at low rpm

brg21264
02-27-2006, 08:34 PM
I have a 93 SE with the 3.4L dual overhead cam in it. Intermittently when coming to a stop or at low rpm's the engine seems to rev a small amount then die. It can be started right back up and then more than likely not be a problem again for quite awhile. This will only happen after the car has warmed up and only in gear. I have let the car sit and idle in park for up to a 1/2 hour with no problem. I have removed and cleaned the idle control valve and seat in the throttle body. I have had it into my mechanic just to check the diagnostics and no codes ever come up. Other than this, the car runs like a top. It has great throttle response and for car with over 150k on it, it can run with the best of them. Plus anyone else that has his same engine, what do you generally get for gas mileage? I'm lucky to be getting 18-19 mpg. Is this common? Any ideas on the idle problem will be greatly appreciated.

GTP Dad
02-28-2006, 11:21 AM
Welcome to AF!!

With that many miles, have you ever changed the O2 sensors? They can cause a decrease in fuel mileage and not throw a code until they are totally gone or damaged. I would also get someone to clean the Mass air flow sensor for you. They can get dirty and cause some issues as well. As for the stalling issue check the throttle position sensor to see if it is in specification. If not it can cause the symptoms you describe. Not hard to do you just need a digital multimeter. Good Luck!

brg21264
02-28-2006, 07:56 PM
GTP Dad,

Thanks for the tips. I'm pretty handy, is the mass air flow sensor something that I could remove and clean myself? I have read quite a few of your responses to other questions in this forum and you seem to know your way around these cars. I have another for you. I found a small diameter vacuum hose that comes off a T located under the cruise control. I cannot locate anything that this hose connects to within its length. I plugged it wit a screw for now. The vacuum diagram sticker in the engine compartment doesn't show it. Any ideas or where I might find a better diagram?

GTP Dad
03-01-2006, 09:25 AM
You can clean the mass airflow sensor yourself, just remove it and spray it with electronics cleaner. Do not touch the wires and spray gently. You may need a set of torx bits that are designed for use with the security torx screws. Available at Sears! As for the vacuum diagram I really don't know where you can find one.

PontiacDohc
11-26-2006, 09:12 PM
You can clean the mass airflow sensor yourself, just remove it and spray it with electronics cleaner. Do not touch the wires and spray gently. You may need a set of torx bits that are designed for use with the security torx screws. Available at Sears! As for the vacuum diagram I really don't know where you can find one.

91-93 3.4 DOHC did not have mass air flow, only a map sensor !

russellrush
11-05-2010, 01:38 AM
did you recently have the battery out for awhile, on my z24 cavalier, if the batterys diconnected for a while, the computer looses( idle memory)
so i had to a idle memory routine
put in drive with brake on for like as long as you can sit there
then put in park
repeat at least twice
so the computer can learn how it needs to idle when you come to a stop

I have a 93 SE with the 3.4L dual overhead cam in it. Intermittently when coming to a stop or at low rpm's the engine seems to rev a small amount then die. It can be started right back up and then more than likely not be a problem again for quite awhile. This will only happen after the car has warmed up and only in gear. I have let the car sit and idle in park for up to a 1/2 hour with no problem. I have removed and cleaned the idle control valve and seat in the throttle body. I have had it into my mechanic just to check the diagnostics and no codes ever come up. Other than this, the car runs like a top. It has great throttle response and for car with over 150k on it, it can run with the best of them. Plus anyone else that has his same engine, what do you generally get for gas mileage? I'm lucky to be getting 18-19 mpg. Is this common? Any ideas on the idle problem will be greatly appreciated.

Add your comment to this topic!