Abs Light Stays On

ccarmen
02-27-2006, 12:31 PM
I have a 2000 Blazer and the ABS light (orange) stays on after starting.
Any Ideas?

clariveros
02-27-2006, 12:40 PM
your abs is malfunctioning

muddyjimmy
02-27-2006, 01:30 PM
I have a 2000 Blazer and the ABS light (orange) stays on after starting.
Any Ideas?

Could be bad sensors. Had the same problem on a Siverado once.

joeuser742
02-27-2006, 02:27 PM
Check the fuse(s), I know that there is one under the hood fuse box (60A), there may be another one inside the truck. Check the wheel sensors with an ohm meter, I have 3 sensors on mine, 2 front and 1 for the rear. Make sure the sensors don't have any metal shavings attached to them. Other than that, check the grounds, then have the codes read. I have a 98 4x4 and found a bad ground. I've heard with the 99-02 (I believe) that the electrical part on the unit goes bad.

muddog321
02-27-2006, 03:41 PM
See the info in:
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=504690&highlight=abs+light

utahdanb
02-27-2006, 04:57 PM
my ABS light would stay on until i found where the driver side front tire wore against the wire. i spliced back and havent seen the light since.

BlazinMlew
02-28-2006, 12:04 AM
Make sure its tied out of the way. I replaced my hub assembly in my 2000 and it came with the new ABS plug, just used a couple of black tie straps and no problems. Also make sure you have enough slack in it so the wheels can fully turn with to much tension on the wire.

Ultrashock
02-28-2006, 12:13 PM
Do what i did just go in your engine compartment and unplug the entire system haha it turned the light off (it also turned the brake light off which i dont know why that was on anyway i didnt have my emergency brake on)

Seriously though just check for a bad sensor...... I cant however my whole entire system is trashed so i just unplugged it

blazes9395
02-28-2006, 12:22 PM
Do what i did just go in your engine compartment and unplug the entire system haha it turned the light off (it also turned the brake light off which i dont know why that was on anyway i didnt have my emergency brake on)

Seriously though just check for a bad sensor...... I cant however my whole entire system is trashed so i just unplugged it

DO NOT just unplug it...that is the stupidest thing I have heard. Its there for a reason, and yes it is associated with the braking system, so you would want to get it scanned, and see what comes up....and get it repaired.

Ultrashock
02-28-2006, 12:29 PM
DO NOT just unplug it...that is the stupidest thing I have heard. Its there for a reason, and yes it is associated with the braking system, so you would want to get it scanned, and see what comes up....and get it repaired.

Leaving it plugged in is stupid there is no reason to get it scanned ITS COMPLETELY TRASHED as in gone as in 1,000 dollars to get a whole entire new ABS system. Plus it brings up a lights that say ABS problems and Brake Problems (or the emergency brake is engaged).

I have had zero problems whatsoever since i unplugged it around a year ago.

This is just my case though so if you find out that your unit is completely screwed then just unplug it otherwise get it scanned

blazes9395
02-28-2006, 12:44 PM
So if you actually have a real brake problem when your driving, and because you unplugged it you would never know, you go to apply your brakes to stop for a stoplight, and you have no brakes, straight through the stop light....dumb?, negligent?

These units can be purchased used,especially the older generation units (91-95) for around $150-$200.

Ultrashock
02-28-2006, 02:47 PM
Al contrar..... a new hydraulic assembly costs about 900-944 dollars on JC Whitney.

Anyway I dont have a problem with the brakes (its the abs unit thats sending the bad signal) I had the brakes worked on about a month ago anyway just to see if they were screwed up anyway.

As for the "signal light comment" if i have been driving this unplugged for year do you think i would have noticed if the brakes were not working properly?

The brakes work perfectly, they lock up however because the ABS is broken.... even if its plugged in it still does not work. At least unplugging it did not have any adverse effects on my car in fact it turned the annoying warning lights off

Anyway we are taking away from the thread..........

joeuser742
02-28-2006, 03:47 PM
Al contrar..... a new hydraulic assembly costs about 900-944 dollars on JC Whitney.

Anyway I dont have a problem with the brakes (its the abs unit thats sending the bad signal) I had the brakes worked on about a month ago anyway just to see if they were screwed up anyway.

As for the "signal light comment" if i have been driving this unplugged for year do you think i would have noticed if the brakes were not working properly?

The brakes work perfectly, they lock up however because the ABS is broken.... even if its plugged in it still does not work. At least unplugging it did not have any adverse effects on my car in fact it turned the annoying warning lights off

Anyway we are taking away from the thread..........

That's true, for a new unit, but I paid $100 from the junk yard and was guaranteed to work. For that price, I could replace it 9 times, but that ain't gonna happen, they don't go out that often.

BlazerLT
02-28-2006, 04:35 PM
Usually caused by front speed sensors requiring cleaning.

muddog321
02-28-2006, 08:25 PM
ABS works - I have 4 Blazers and kids with Blazers and the ABS has saved them and me many times cause todays drivers are really bad (nice way to say it) - read the codes and fit it correctly - don't cheap out!

Rick Norwood
02-28-2006, 08:54 PM
First, If the ABS light is on that usually means the ABS system is inoperative. This in no way diminishes the brake system, it just means that the ABS system is not going to work if you slam on the brakes. I drove my Truck for 3 days with the old malfunctioning EBCM (Electronic Brake Control Module) sitting on the workbench. If you do have to slam on the brakes with an inoperative ABS system, you will most likely lock up the tires and skid to a stop as in pre-ABS type vehicles. The ABS system is designed to prevent the tires from locking up and there by avoiding a skid.

Second, You can usually go to AutoZone or some other garage and get the codes read that will tell you why the light is on for free.

Third, There are a number of places like GMPARTSDIRECT.com that sell genuine GM parts for half price. I just bought a EBCM for under $500 USD. The Dealer wanted over $1000 USD.

Forth, One thing you can also check is the Ground wire to the ABS system. This Ground wire is attached to the back side of the frame that holds the drivers side head light with a small bolt (S-10 models) and is easily accessible if you drop the head light out. If this ground is rusty or loose, you can get codes and an ABS light on the dash. The Full size Blazer has this ground under the driver's door.

Fifth, I really kinda doubt that anyone would ever buy a vehicle with an ABS light that stays on all of the time, so if you unplug your system, plan on keeping the truck for a while.

Ultrashock
03-01-2006, 10:47 AM
I bought my truck with the ABS light on....... I knew what was wrong with it though but i didnt really care. I have never needed ABS yet

The good thing about my truck is if people buy it its already unplugged so the lights are off (is that cruel? or deceptive?)

BlazerLT
03-01-2006, 03:48 PM
more like illegal.

Ultrashock
03-01-2006, 07:46 PM
Somehow I doubt its illegal, if so the previous owner didnt inform me about it..... i just figure it out from the mechanic when i had him do a run through to make sure it was a worthy buy

Thats like saying its illegal to not say that the power windows are broken. Some cars dont have ABS anyway so im sure the next owner could probably deal with it like i have

BlazerLT
03-01-2006, 08:13 PM
comparing broken power windows to a disabled critical safety system on our trucks is not a good comparison.

If the previous owner disabled it and didn't tell you about it and you got in an accident because of it being disabled, I am pretty sure he could be held liable for it.

blazee
03-01-2006, 08:49 PM
Not disclosing broken power windows falls under the category of buyer beware.

Disabling a safety device to hide the fact that it is not working properly in order to sell it is illegal. Not to mention that it is irresponsible and asinine.

Advising others to disable their saftey devices instead of fixing them properly, and then arguing with people that offer better advice is ignorant and childish.

Brian R.
03-01-2006, 09:19 PM
The most common reason I've seen for having this light come on is a loose/dirty wheel sensor connection. Check them.

Do not disable the system. If it turns out to be an expensive problem, get it fixed when you can afford it. Leave the light on to remind you that you have a problem.

Ultrashock
03-02-2006, 12:30 PM
Not disclosing broken power windows falls under the category of buyer beware.

Disabling a safety device to hide the fact that it is not working properly in order to sell it is illegal. Not to mention that it is irresponsible and asinine.

Advising others to disable their saftey devices instead of fixing them properly, and then arguing with people that offer better advice is ignorant and childish.

PAY ATTENTION......... I DID NOT advise them to unplug it I said it was joke and they have probably have a bad sensor. I simply said that I unplugged it.
AS for hiding the fact about power windows that was just a crappy comparison of broken equipment.

Also as a matter of fact I did not argue the other peoples point I only argued that disabling the ABS will not give you any braking problems..........

AND im finished this childish game is taking away from this guys thread.......

Im never gonna replace my ABS anyway there is no point I dont need it, plenty of cars dont have ABS.

I argued it because it does not affect your braking system at all, I know this for a fact because I have dealt with it for the past year (READ RICK NORWOOD's POST)

BlazerLT
03-02-2006, 04:19 PM
Also as a matter of fact I did not argue the other peoples point I only argued that disabling the ABS will not give you any braking problems..........

Im never gonna replace my ABS anyway there is no point I dont need it, plenty of cars dont have ABS.

I argued it because it does not affect your braking system at all, I know this for a fact because I have dealt with it for the past year (READ RICK NORWOOD's POST)

Wow....just wow.......

So disabling a critical safety system on your truck will indeed allow your brakes to work, lock up and send you into a telephone pole and lose control in an emergency which could be avoided with a properly working ABS system.

The system is designed to have the ABS system working. If you think you can pump the brakes the 100s of times a second to keep steering control then you are a robot.

And yes, cars had brakes without ABS before, but that doesn't mean the system worked well, since ABS has come into play, millions of lives have be saved which would have been doomed with a standard brake setup.

Saying that disabling the ABS system will have a truck still braking normally is childish, ignorant, misinformed and borderline ridiculous.

Brian R.
03-02-2006, 07:41 PM
Fifth, I really kinda doubt that anyone would ever buy a vehicle with an ABS light that stays on all of the time, so if you unplug your system, plan on keeping the truck for a while.

You learn something new every day... I always thought that the ABS light being on meant it was working properly.

Oh well, time to stop this argument or the thread gets locked. Everyone has made their point.

Rick Norwood
03-02-2006, 08:32 PM
You learn something new every day... I always thought that the ABS light being on meant it was working properly.

Oh well, time to stop this argument or the thread gets locked. Everyone has made their point.

Brian R. You're a hoot. But I agree, you do learn something new everyday. I didn't know it was illegal, isn't an illegal really a sick bird? (ILL EAGLE :grinyes: )

I understand that everyone is not made of money, but the 2001 S-10 Blazer that we had to replace the EBCM on actually belonged to my Daughter, and I chastised her for driving it for so long with the light on, and I wouldn't let her sell it to my other Daughter until it was fixed. My Daughter (the seller) coughed up the $500 USD and did the right thing and fixed it.

In the hope that the intent of this Forum is to give good, sound, safe advice, I always advocate that everyone fixes their vehicles properly. Don't cut corners, juryrigg, or take chances.:screwy:

You'll be better off in the long run. :grinyes:

Add your comment to this topic!