Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Cam Position Sensor

shoney524
02-27-2006, 07:59 AM
I have a 2002 TB with 56000 miles. 4.2L I6. A couple of weeks ago the SES light came on. I checked the code and it showed P0340 indicating that there is a problem with the cam position sensor circuit. I did not have time to replace the part immediately, so I reset the codes, wondering if it was just a one time only problem. The problem did not come back for the next week or so. I finally got the part and replaced it. Now I reset the codes and the same problem code P0340 keeps reappearing after a couple of starts. My questions are...1) what other parts could this code point to? or 2) could the replacement part be bad since the problem is now worse than before? Thanks for any further info.

MT-2500
02-27-2006, 02:02 PM
Codes do not say replace the part they say check it out or check out the circuit.
On this one you need a good scanner to see what the sensor is reading in the engine computer.
My up loader is broke right now but.
The all data DIY online sub has the flow repair chart for fixing that code.
http://www.alldata.com/products/diy/index.html
Also www. auto zone site may have some info on it.
MT

shoney524
02-27-2006, 03:15 PM
Thanks for the reply...I guess I was looking for info on what other things to look at. A link to a pay service was not exactly what I was looking for. Sofisticated diag equipment will probably be needed to diagnose, something I will have to take to the pros and something I was trying to avoid, if there is a simple part to replace.

I realize I probably jumped to the conclusion that the sensor itself was the problem. It seemed to be the most obvious part of the puzzle, so I thought I would try it first. I was hoping that someone else had a similar problem and would like to share the info on what it took to fix for them. I'm not a techie at all, but I can replace parts myself given a little push in the right direction.

Unless someone else out there has more info on this, it looks like this one is out of my league.

rodeo02
03-02-2006, 03:21 PM
Any symptoms other than the SES light? An engine wont run at all if the CPS goes out completely. Has any other work been done on the truck lately? I'd check ground connections & make sure you are getting ~14VDC across the battery with the truck idling. Anything less (or more) will cause all sorts of electrical gremlins. Some vehicles w/ the coil-overs and all the funky electronics are very sensative to the brand of sparkplug. I'd use only delco, denso or NGK on the inline 4.2L

G/luck
Joel

MT-2500
03-02-2006, 04:37 PM
Thanks for the reply...I guess I was looking for info on what other things to look at. A link to a pay service was not exactly what I was looking for. Sofisticated diag equipment will probably be needed to diagnose, something I will have to take to the pros and something I was trying to avoid, if there is a simple part to replace.

I realize I probably jumped to the conclusion that the sensor itself was the problem. It seemed to be the most obvious part of the puzzle, so I thought I would try it first. I was hoping that someone else had a similar problem and would like to share the info on what it took to fix for them. I'm not a techie at all, but I can replace parts myself given a little push in the right direction.

Unless someone else out there has more info on this, it looks like this one is out of my league.

Well throwing the parts at it is not the way to fix it. You have to check it out.
Someones else problem may be altogher different than yours.
You very seldom find 2 problems just alike.
The link on All Data I posted has all of the info on testing for that code and testing the parts.
It is the same info used by the pros.
The 24.95$ for it can more than pay for itself in just one repair.
Look at what you have allready spent on it.
Also did you check out the free AZ link?
Good luck
MT

Add your comment to this topic!