Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Leaking Rear Trans Seal

Gabe25
02-26-2006, 10:37 PM
I've checked the thread and found nothing on how to replace the rear trans seal and how hard is it. Does anyone out there have this information. I have a "97" S-10 4x4 Blazer "W" motor CPI fuel system. My trans rear seal is leaking and the trans fluid is over filling my transfer case. I drain the trasfer case once a week and place about 1/2 pint of new trans fluid in the transmission. I'm good with working on the motor, but when it comes to transmissions. I haven't had the pleasure in working with them. From what I have picked up by the manuals that I have. If I drop the transfer case. I should be able to replace the rear seal. But the manuals doesn't say if I need special tools, and how extensive the work is going to be. Any help would be greatly apperciated.

BlazerLT
02-27-2006, 12:20 AM
Pretty straight forward replacement.

I had mine replaced when I recently redid my tranny.

DINO55
02-27-2006, 07:59 AM
Gabe, I am like you when it comes down to the tranny, The first link has How to mannuals for your rebuilding pleasure. Good Luck....Keep us posted on your progress, ALOHA.

http://www.oregonperformancetransmission.com/

http://www.4l60-e.com/

83T/A98Blazer
02-27-2006, 10:55 AM
Normally, a 2wd rear seal is very easy, but you're saying it's 4wd and leaking into the transfer case? If I remember correctly, the 4wd tranny does not have a rear seal. It bolts to the transfer case and the transfer case front seal must be leaking. Pulling the transfer case is not too bad of a job, they're light enough I don't even use a jack. I really don't remember what the front seal looks like, but I don't imagine it's hard to replace.

MT-2500
02-27-2006, 11:24 AM
Gabe25 it is a piece of cake job.
Biggest job will be the transfer case R&R.
When you get it out you can see the seal on the front of the transfer case .
It will be double/both way type seal. The replacement seal is normally a one piece seal but with sealing lips both ways.
And check your transmission vent tube/hose for beinging stopped up
I usually pull the seal retainer off of the transfer case to install the new seal.
Good Luck And let us know how it goes.
MT

Gabe25
02-27-2006, 04:42 PM
Thanks you all for all your information. I'll be ordering the gasket and seal kit sometime this week. I should be starting this trans repair within the next 2 weeks. I plan to take some vacation and attack it. I'll keep you posted as to how things are going. In Hawaii we say " A big Mahalo (Thanks) to all.

laxman21
03-05-2006, 08:41 PM
I am having the same problem with my 92. I think this is why my $x4 stopped working again. No vac from the transfer case.

BlazerLT
03-05-2006, 09:10 PM
If the seal is bad, the transfer case will be full of tranny fluid.

BTW, there is no vacuum from the tranny.

Gabe25
03-05-2006, 10:07 PM
I am having the same problem with my 92. I think this is why my $x4 stopped working again. No vac from the transfer case.
Blazer LT is right. There is no vacuum in the Transfer Case. The transfer case will just get over filled, and the transmission will be getting low on trans fluid. If you suspect the seal is leaking. You need to open your fill plug on the transfer case and see if its over filled. If trans fluid comes out then more then likely your seal is leaking. Just let is drain out till to fluid stops running out of the fill plug on your transfer case. Replace the plug and check your trans fluid level. It will probably be low on fluid. Fill the trans to spec.’s Then try and see if your 4 wheel drive works. If not. Then you need to do a search on this Thread on 4X4 trouble not engaging.

blazee
03-05-2006, 10:46 PM
He may be talking about the vacuum switch on the transfer case. When the tranmission seal goes bad and over fills the transfer case, it often damages the vacuum switch. Then the faulty switch normally fills the vacuum lines up with tranny fluid, which pretty much disables the 4x4 and the sometimes even the a/c controls. The switch is usually the culprit when people complain that their vacuum ball is full of tranny fluid.

twin_turbo_t88
03-06-2006, 11:52 PM
Easy job! I just did mine in a few hours for the first time and I have little to no transmission experiance. I do recommend that while you have the driveshaft down, you replace your U-joints, just have a Vise handy to press out the factory UJ's and the job will be easy. Seal removal involves finding the proper size screwdriver (or seal removal tool), pulling it out and setting the new seal with the apporpriate size socket, replace driveshaft and you are done... Don't forget to paint/scribe/punch some alignment marks in your driveshaft otherwise you may throw the balance of your driveshaft off. Hope this helps!

laxman21
03-16-2006, 05:57 PM
He may be talking about the vacuum switch on the transfer case. When the tranmission seal goes bad and over fills the transfer case, it often damages the vacuum switch. Then the faulty switch normally fills the vacuum lines up with tranny fluid, which pretty much disables the 4x4 and the sometimes even the a/c controls. The switch is usually the culprit when people complain that their vacuum ball is full of tranny fluid.

You got it!

BTW. What size socket do I need for a 92 transfer case?

Add your comment to this topic!