Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

98 camry brake light problem

nubfinger
02-25-2006, 09:33 PM
So I knew there was a problem with my rear light when I saw the dash indicator light come on. It looks like a car with some hash marks by the rear corners where the lights would be.

I figured I just needed to replace the bulb. A friend followed me one day and let me know that my left brake light was out. The running light worked but when I went to brake it wouldn't brighten up.

I replaced the bulb today and found no change in the indicator light or the brake light. I checked the fuses in front and found all the small ones to be intact.

Any ideas? I can't really afford to pay someone to look at it but I can't afford a ticket either. I'm usually pretty good at fixing minor car ailments.

Thanks in advance.

Mike Gerber
02-26-2006, 11:31 AM
First check to make sure the bulb is seated firmly in it's socket and that there is no corrosion in the socket. If that is OK, then the next thing to check would be the loom of wires inside the trunk, next to the driver's side trunk hinge. This is a known trouble area for Camrys. Opening and closing of the trunk causes constant flexing of these wires. Open up the loom and look for broken or frayed wires. Note the color of the wires at that rear light and pay special attention to those colored wires. Repair as necessary.

Mike

rimfire,22
02-27-2006, 03:43 PM
So I knew there was a problem with my rear light when I saw the dash indicator light come on. It looks like a car with some hash marks by the rear corners where the lights would be.

I figured I just needed to replace the bulb. A friend followed me one day and let me know that my left brake light was out. The running light worked but when I went to brake it wouldn't brighten up.

I replaced the bulb today and found no change in the indicator light or the brake light. I checked the fuses in front and found all the small ones to be intact.

Any ideas? I can't really afford to pay someone to look at it but I can't afford a ticket either. I'm usually pretty good at fixing minor car ailments.

Thanks in advance.

nubfinger,

My Camary did the same thing on the left side rear. Check the connections near the blub and note the green sealant to keep things tight. The dealer can repiar that is 10 minutes. They didn't charge me so I wouldn't thin they would for you but now a days one can never know.

rimfire,22

Add your comment to this topic!