Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

1995 Buick LeSabre Stalling Problem

RyanS32122
02-25-2006, 08:52 PM
Hey Everyone:
I own a 1995 Buick LeSabre Ltd. I have never had a single problem with this car until just recently (it has just made 100,000 miles), other than its tendency to burn oil. Last week, the car was stalling every time I made a turn; a friend I know who is into cars replaced a vacuum line over the engine which was cracked. That seemed to fix the problem, since the car did not stall for a few days. Just recently, the car has been stalling when I come to a stop. I watch the tachometer drop down to zero, and that is when the engine cuts (and all the interior warning lights illuminate). I find if I gently remove my foot from the accelerator, the tachometer does not drop much below 1 (RPM * 1000), and thus the Buick does not stall. But if I was to be driving, then really revved the engine (i.e., floored it), and then abruptly come off the accelerator, the engine will cut out.

Any ideas? My idea involves the fuel system (i.e., then engine is not getting enough gas, thus it cuts out), but with these newer cars, the computer may be at fault, etc...you never know. Any ideas are very much appreciated.

Thanks for reading -- have an enjoyable weekend.

Regards,

Ryan.

LeSabre97mint
02-25-2006, 10:06 PM
Hey Everyone:
I own a 1995 Buick LeSabre Ltd. I have never had a single problem with this car until just recently (it has just made 100,000 miles), other than its tendency to burn oil. Last week, the car was stalling every time I made a turn; a friend I know who is into cars replaced a vacuum line over the engine which was cracked. That seemed to fix the problem, since the car did not stall for a few days. Just recently, the car has been stalling when I come to a stop. I watch the tachometer drop down to zero, and that is when the engine cuts (and all the interior warning lights illuminate). I find if I gently remove my foot from the accelerator, the tachometer does not drop much below 1 (RPM * 1000), and thus the Buick does not stall. But if I was to be driving, then really revved the engine (i.e., floored it), and then abruptly come off the accelerator, the engine will cut out.

Any ideas? My idea involves the fuel system (i.e., then engine is not getting enough gas, thus it cuts out), but with these newer cars, the computer may be at fault, etc...you never know. Any ideas are very much appreciated.

Thanks for reading -- have an enjoyable weekend.

Regards,

Ryan.

Ryan

Do you have a "check engine light" on when your driving? If you do, you should get your codes read at such a place as AutoZone who will read them for free. Be sure to get the number(s) from them.

Our cars also have an idle control motor that controls the amount of air coming into the engine when your foot is off of the accel. This could be sticky and causing your problem.

Post back with what answers you know and we can help you out.

Regards

Dan

RyanS32122
02-25-2006, 10:10 PM
Hi:
The "Check Engine" light comes on once the first "problem" is experienced, which is the dropping of the tachometer down to 0 and then rebounding. The engine, after this occurs, sounds a bit more rough than before it occurs. So when I turn the car on, the light is not on -- only once I accelerate then let my foot off does it come on.

I didn't realize AutoZone would do that for free...! I'll shoot over there tomorrow and get the codes read...I'll post what I learn.

Thanks very much for your interest!

Regards,

Ryan.

Loekee75
02-25-2006, 10:13 PM
Also keep in mind that not all trouble codes will set the light on. I'd get it scanned either way, then go from there.

Add your comment to this topic!