Delco platinum or standard plugs?

Loekee75
02-25-2006, 03:56 PM
I'm fixing to get some new plugs. I'm defiently sticking with delcos, but I was wondering if anyone has tried the delco platinum plugs? They're obviously a little pricey compared to the standard ones (5.99 vs 1.89 @ O'Reilly's), but I was wondering if anyone saw any significant difference in idle/ performance or fuel economy? Or does anyone suggest I just stick with regular delcos (as we all have seen the effects of anything-but OEM style spark plugs on Buicks!)

tman
02-25-2006, 04:05 PM
I use the cheapest delco plugs there are. I've tried the iridium ones and the platinum ones and they don't do any bette ror worse than the cheapies imo.

Loekee75
02-25-2006, 05:01 PM
Thanks tman, I think I'll save the 24 bucks for a new set of wires :D

maxwedge
02-25-2006, 06:23 PM
On my 98 3800 the std Delcos lasted 30k and were done, Plats are in there now, about 60k and no problem.

HotZ28
02-25-2006, 07:00 PM
I have good luck with NGK TR-55's in my Ultra. The v-groove center electrode on a V-Power spark plug forces the spark to the outer edge of the ground electrode, placing it closer to the air/fuel mixture. What this does is allow the spark to more quickly ignite the mixture, providing more complete combustion. You can buy them at Advanced Auto Parts, about the same price as AC Delco.

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/products/cars_trucks_suvs/vpower.asp?nav=11200&country=US

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/images/cutawayvcut.jpg

tman
02-25-2006, 09:18 PM
No matter what plugs you use, definately replace the wires too. Thats like having really nasty water and a rusty bucket. You can put new clean water in it(new spark plugs) but the buckets still gonna give off chunks of rust and dirt making the water bad(bucket would be the wires)

I'd love to know how the conception of "replace plugs and wires seperately" got started, because it makes no sense at all.

Loekee75
02-25-2006, 10:07 PM
That's a good point, I've always thought the same myself. When you think about it, it's a waste of time to get your hands dirty to change the plugs, then wait and get your hands dirty all over again for the wires.

animekenji
02-27-2006, 07:39 AM
No matter what plugs you use, definately replace the wires too. Thats like having really nasty water and a rusty bucket. You can put new clean water in it(new spark plugs) but the buckets still gonna give off chunks of rust and dirt making the water bad(bucket would be the wires)

I'd love to know how the conception of "replace plugs and wires seperately" got started, because it makes no sense at all.

I have always changed plugs and wires together as part of a normal tuneup. The only time I ever changed them seperately was when I had one damaged plug or one damaged wire that needed to be replaced and couldn't wait for the regular tuneup interval to elapse.

Add your comment to this topic!