ice cold radiator 96 2.2 cavalier

jesuslover
02-24-2006, 11:18 PM
When engine is at operating temp the radiator is ice cold can anyone help me out?

cujotom
02-25-2006, 06:40 AM
I get the same thing on my 94RS. Do you have heat? At least I have great heat, and thats at normal operating temp. The temp gauge is between the 1/4 mark and the 1/2 mark, never above (except in the summer when the car idles). Where do you live? I live in central NY and its cold! I guess the question to you is would be, What is the cold radiator affecting? Heat? If you have heat and the car runs fine I dont think I would be that overly concerned about it.
:banghead:

mike2004tct
02-25-2006, 09:05 AM
When engine is at operating temp the radiator is ice cold can anyone help me out?

If you changed your radiator fluid, you probaby need to bleed air out of the system.

Out of the water pump hose junction, under the alternator, is a small diameter metal hose that runs across the front of the engine and heads off to the heater core. You should see a bleeder screw somewhere on that metal tube with a label that says "do not vent with engine running". Get the engine up to normal operating temp, shut the engine off, then open that screw slowly until coolant starts to run out. This will relieve air pressure and allow your system to circulate properly.

gonzales7727
02-26-2006, 02:48 PM
is that the same for the 1996 z-24, same problem and I live in phoenix and it's hot all year round.

mike2004tct
02-27-2006, 11:03 AM
is that the same for the 1996 z-24, same problem and I live in phoenix and it's hot all year round.

If you have the 2.4L, the cooling system is somewhat different, al least the water pump is different. If you have the bleeder screw on the tube to the heater core, it's the same.

Add your comment to this topic!