Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Compass, Temp upgrade

Eslhockey92g
02-24-2006, 08:23 PM
1997 ls 4 door 4x4

Ive wanted to for a while to have a Compass and a outside temp. gauge in my car. I wanted somthing that would be factory looking. I'm more concerd with and temp gauge. I was thinking on a newer blazers, rearveiw mirror, or an overhead consol. Any suggestion???

2kTrailBlazer
02-24-2006, 10:33 PM
i may be stating the obvious here but the overhead wont work if you have a moon/sun roof... the over head also tells alot more then just temp and direction...has avg speed and gas mileage and the like...so i dont know if there is one special harness you would need or if all the funtions are a seperate wire....more then likely its one harness...so i dont think that would work?? idk..I also have never seen a mirrior that has temp. have seen them with compass tho.

BlazinMlew
02-24-2006, 10:48 PM
i may be stating the obvious here but the overhead wont work if you have a moon/sun roof... the over head also tells alot more then just temp and direction...has avg speed and gas mileage and the like...so i dont know if there is one special harness you would need or if all the funtions are a seperate wire....more then likely its one harness...so i dont think that would work?? idk..I also have never seen a mirrior that has temp. have seen them with compass tho.

My overhead just has the Temp and Compass. No Gas mileage or anything.

I would suggest calling a few boneyards or if you have money to wipe yourself with a dealer.

My console also has the garage door opener holder sunglass holder and 4 Map lights (2 front 2 Back) I am not sure what you would have to do to wire it up. I do know that they make them for the full size trucks though as well and they dont have all of the holders and what-not that mine does so maybe thats an option as well. Also some of the brand new trucks have the rearview temp gauge on it do check that out as well

Eslhockey92g
02-24-2006, 11:16 PM
I don't not have a sunroof i could have specfied that sorry, Um I thought i rember seeing a temp in a rearveiw but i was just tossing that out there. Um i would really like temp and possible direction, If i would be able to get economy reading liek MPG of what not thats a bonus but not a selling point, Id like and over head for the extra storage. If i go that route would it be as easy as finding an overhead that has the options i'm looking for. Or should i try to find one out of my body style the "97" body style. I did look on other forums about wiring them up they don't seem to too hard

GregA
02-24-2006, 11:44 PM
I have upgraded to the "Driver Information Center" in my van's overhead console. Maybe you had a look at that.

Overhead Console (http://www.my-chevy-venture.com/replace-overhead-console.html)

I would do a search on eBay for "overhead console". I know a lot of them show up from time to time.

Take Care,

muddyjimmy
02-25-2006, 08:43 AM

A lot of overheads just have only temp and compass indicators on them and yes they have them for moonroof equiped vehicles. They are just shorter then nonmoonroof models.

billibong
02-25-2006, 08:44 AM
I'm pretty sure the swap out for the overhead console is pretty straightforward.
Rlith has done this and the link is http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=434855&highlight=overhead+console
Take a look at that and see if it helps.

Eslhockey92g
07-02-2007, 11:40 AM
Hey guys, well after alot of searching on here i have some questions. I was at a junk yard and picked up an over head for 10 bux. Its the longer one that just tells me the direction and temp. I wasn't going to wire that up, i more or less wanted the overhead storage and extra INT lights. When i was ripping it out i took the harness with it. When i putting it, i saw that the car side of the harness had all the wires already there. So i pluged everything in and the display turned on, everything worked, kind of.

I know i have to calibrate the compass, but it wasnt working. I was able to set my ZONE by holding both buttons for like 10 sec. But if i hold the the top one i forget what it says its not the on off. It wont do anything for as long as i hold it. I did the same for the Power and i wouldnt do anything. Is there somthing im doing wrong?

Also the temp is Reading OC and stays there and the compass will only change from S to SW and SE. I saw in here before about the OC thing but i cant find it now. I wasnt sure if my temp sensor is a dummy sensor or just bad up front. Any one have any ideas?

blazes9395
07-03-2007, 02:04 PM
Eslhockey, please elaborate. You found on your truck the connection was alreadt there? I want to add one on my '98 but I have been putting it off becasue I really didn't want to get really into it, as I thought there would be a lot of work find proper wires etc. Where is this connector you speak of on your truck, I'd like to take a look at mine and see if I can find it.

Add your comment to this topic!