Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

AEM V2 Intake

Ricebrnr55
02-23-2006, 08:21 PM
So I installed an AEM V2 intake on my 99 Si, and the thing is awsome, but there is one major problem with it... The intake head is so damn big the splash guard wont fit right over it. Right now I've just got it zip tied to the bottom of my front bumper pretty snug, but does anyone now a better solution or if you have installed this part on your car what did you do to make the right clearance?

iVteC_PoWeR
02-23-2006, 08:24 PM
im guessing your talking about the filter when you say "intake head"...did you install a bypass valve?

S13wanabe
02-24-2006, 01:48 PM
I am seriously never going to understand the cold air intake thing. You can suck up water, although rare, it does happen. The bypass valve doesn't do a damn thing. My friends and I have tested it. Get a short ram, which is always cheaper, and then you don't have to worry about water, and you staill get your 2 hp gain. I have found that the short rams seems to get better response and work a little better than cold air anyway. Increasing the flow of intake air is the real goal, not cooling the charge of air coming in. Feel an intake pipe after your car has been running for 30 minutes. Do you really think that air is coming in any cooler? Plus these sort of upgrades on near stock motors are only good for sound.

NOBU-SAN
02-24-2006, 02:18 PM
I beg to differ on the bypass valve. I think it was SCC that did a test on a 'lude with it, and it submerged the filter in a bucket of water, and it didn't take in any water. If you checked it, who's motor did you ruin if it doesn't work? Granted, it doesn't gain too much hp, and you do lose a little on a bypass, but it does help. Check the dyno charts for all the intakes, you can find them in magazines and on these forums.

Secondly, I don't think you can put a bypass on a V2.

Ricebrnr55
03-02-2006, 12:56 PM
No I didn't install a bypass valve, but you can't get one for the V2 anyways just for the regular cold air. I don't know I think it makes a difference having the cold air as oppose to the short ram on a cool day. The thing with taking one water rarely happens. Atleast thats what I've learned talked to some mechanics. If your an idiot and drive through some like 2 feet deep puddle yeah its gonna take on water, but i dont think to many people would drive through that anyways. Does anyone know anything about getting the splash gaurd in the wheel well to fit better though?

turtlecrxsi
03-02-2006, 02:07 PM
People always have to bitch about the CAI not being worth it. Maybe they just can't afford the extra $ to get it... who knows? I haven't dynoed my car but the butt dyno sure as shit tells that when the temp drops not only does throttle response seem a bit more on but the car seems to be a little faster. But wtf do I know, I've only had a CAI on my car for a couple years... oh yeah, btw, my intake piping is never hot to the touch

S13wanabe
03-02-2006, 03:56 PM
Well I would sure like to know how your engine bay isn't hot after running the motor for a while. My intake gets hot after the car has been running, maybe not too hot to touch, but not cool, that's for sure. Looking at the dyno charts that most companies put out, the cold air intakes make the best peak power gain, but looking at the short ram intakes you see more power throughout the whole rpm range. Again, this is a product that gets you 5hp max in reality unless you motor is built. One of the mags out there does tests on adding products to cars and shows hp gains. I would never trust the company that manufactures the product because they are in the business of sales and will not necesarily lie, but create a perfect environment for hp gains to be noticed. Most guys racing will use short rams instead of cold air. Maybe it's just my experience, but it has been pretty overwhelming.

Add your comment to this topic!