Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Rubbing/Polishing before clear coat.

djmr2
06-27-2002, 06:57 PM
Hey guys

just wondering, i know u want to get the paint as smooth as possible before your put a clear coat on, but do i want to get a good shine before i put the clear coat on??

like right now, i'll wet sand with 1500 and then 2000 to get rid of orange peel and then i'll use the rubbing compound from turtle wax.The paint is still dull. I'm working with automotive lacquer thats why. After I put some Mothers carnauba wax on it and it's not shiny enough for me. This was done on a clear coated extra piece that i have.. testing before i do the body..

Now when i do the body, do i want to do the Rubbing/Polishing Process before i put the clear coat, and then do another Rubbing/Polishing? Or will the clear coat not stick to the body with the Rubbing/Polishing compound on the paint? even after a wash.

bri g
06-27-2002, 08:00 PM
Hi Dj, I've been working with automotive lacquer for a few years now. I've never tried using rubbing compound before the clear coat because I'm worried that the clear coat might not stick. I usually rub the body down with 1500 then 2000 grit sand paper and then wash the body well. It may seem dull but once you apply the clear coat it should restore the color. I'm almost done my Ferrari F355 painted ferrari red with automotive lacquer, I'll post some pix when its done. So after all that, I would advice against using tamiya rubbing compound before the clear coat.

djmr2
06-27-2002, 08:52 PM
Hello

THanks... yeh i guess i'll just sand it down with 1500 and 2000 to get rid of the orange peel effect before i put the clear coat on and then i can give it a good sand again before i do rubbing/polishing.

Automotive lacquers are great!!! but dam stinky and toxic :)

bri g
06-27-2002, 09:00 PM
Automotive lacquers are great!!! but dam stinky and toxic

definitely need a mask. the first time I used automotive lacquer, I had to stop after one coat because I felt like I was drunk:hehehe:

djmr2
06-27-2002, 09:29 PM
oh definately..

i started using the auto stuff and running away didn't help..
i eventually got a mask and am quite happy now

do you spray auto lacquer through your airbrush?

i Live in canada and we have this auto store that has all these touchup paints in spray cans... works great but they don't have the most recent colors and stuff but alot of selection..

BTW how long do you let your top coat cure before you put the clear coat on? this lacquer stuff dries really fast... i was thinking maybe a week or so before i put the clear coat on

bri g
06-27-2002, 10:24 PM
dj, I used to be from mississauga, ontario. You're not referring to canadian tire are you? I used to get my auto lacquer from there. I usually wait a couple of days for the color coat to gas out before sanding and applying the clear coats. Then I wait about 2 weeks for the clear coat to dry before sanding with 1500 and 2000.

djmr2
06-27-2002, 10:39 PM
bri g!

yup from Canadian Tire!!! just grab the sprays cuz they're convenient!!
also if the spray clogs and you aren't finished, bring it back for a new one! happened to me!

where can i get like "ferrari red" like you said u are using? where you located now?

patate
06-27-2002, 10:50 PM
at canadian tire the automotive paint are great but all the yellow they have is like banana pudding color

for mopar color it's the place of choice

little Q's:what was the most popular color for mustang mach 1 1969?

wich canadian tire color is best to use for this popular color?

mario:D

bri g
06-28-2002, 12:28 AM
I live in Philippines now dj and we have a lot of paint stores here so we can get automotive lacquer everywhere. What you need to do is go to an automotive paint place and ask them to mix up a batch for you. The problem is I'm not sure if they will mix a small batch up for you. Oh yeah, ferrari red is an expensive paint! it may look like a plain red color but they need like 17 different colors to make that paint. Let me know if you do find an auto paint store

patate I know what you mean, I was looking for a nice yellow color before and all I can find are those nasty cream yellow!

djmr2
06-28-2002, 01:49 AM
hmmmm ic

i think getting the paint shouldn't be a problem, i have a friend whos dad is in the autobody business.... so yah..

now all i need is a airbrush! i wonder if the tamiya spray-work works with lacquer.

ahk! i need to do another coat before i can clear coat :(
stupid lacquer is too thin around edges now i gotta paint again argh..
any tips for getting around this? maybe my paint layer was too thin
but didn't go through on the body though

bri g
06-28-2002, 05:42 AM
hmm sounds like you're right, the coats are too thin. if that happens, I usually spray the edgest first before the body. At least the edges will have an extra coat. I'm not so sure if the tamiya spray works can handle lacquer, I use a badger crescendo (175) airbrush and badger compressor.

Add your comment to this topic!