Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2000 Bonneville Se Oil Pressure Gauge Peaked

slusk
02-23-2006, 12:17 PM
This just started happening. Car seems to run fine and oil level is not low and I do get consistent oil changes. Any helpful thoughts are appreciated.

leoldenb
02-23-2006, 01:46 PM
More than likely it's your oil pressure sensor. I have a 2000 ssei that the sensor went out and it buried the needle on the gauge. I checked the pressure with a manual gauge and the pressure was just fine. So i replaced the sensor and it works correctly now.

slusk
02-23-2006, 03:13 PM
If you did this yourself, how hard was it? Is there any documentation you might be able to provide? Thanks

leoldenb
02-24-2006, 11:06 AM
It's not that hard to do. But you do have to have the car on ramps or a car lift because the sensor is on the back of the motor. You have to change it from the bottom side it's the easiest way. I don't have a picture of it otherwise i would show it to you. The sensor is located above the assembly that your oil filter screws on to. If i remember right there should 2 wires coming from the sensor. Unplug the wires and then take a socket and unscrew it, some oil might come out that is normal. Take the new sensor and install it. It might be a good idea to put some thread sealent on the threads before you put it in just to be sure it don't leak. Plug the wire into the sensor and thats it. Make sure the guage reads right when you start it up. It might show zero for a couple seconds thats from no oil in the sensor when it starts up. Make sure you check your oil level too.

Add your comment to this topic!