Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Rattle Under Hood?

MSimpson
02-23-2006, 12:15 PM
I have a 2002 Blazer Xtreme whenever I drive on like rock road or road that isn't completely smooth I hear something rattleing under the hood on the passenger side.... I sounds like maybe a spring isn't sitting inside of the boot correctly.. Can anybody shed some light or tell me some things I might want to check.. Thanks

manwiththeplan88
02-23-2006, 01:22 PM
How fast do you have to go before it starts making that sound on a bumpy road?

MSimpson
02-23-2006, 03:50 PM
There isn't a certain speed.. Slow or fast something in rattleing..

OverBoardProject
02-23-2006, 05:22 PM
Just a guess, but the hood bolts, since they seem to be a common problem on the S10 and Blazers.

But it could really be just about anything up front

manwiththeplan88
02-23-2006, 10:00 PM
Beats me.

OverBoardProject
02-23-2006, 10:08 PM
Well heres what i would do, get a friend and go to a bumpy road thats not very busy. Prop your hood up and get your friend to stand by your blazer while you drive slowly down the road. Your friend could listen for where the rattling noise is coming from. Just make sure that your prop the hood up to where it wont drop down on your friends head.

Sorry this practice is illegal everywhere for a reason.
It's Dangerous, especially while driving with the hood open severally limiting the drivers view.

My back has been broken once, and I would hate to see anyone go through the pain that I went through after that accident. Not to mention my friends and family watching me suffer in pain to this day, 2 1/2 years later

Brian R.
02-24-2006, 12:18 AM
I agree - It is not a really safe way to troubleshoot a noise. Carefully leaning out a window as a passenger is the best you can do. Hood latched.

OverBoardProject
02-24-2006, 12:20 AM
Wear safety glasses, or better yet a face shield while doing this.

You never know when a rock will fly up

BlazerLT
02-26-2006, 09:05 AM
There is a fix for this in the FAQ.

chcknugget
02-26-2006, 10:37 AM
Yeah sounds like they need to look up the hood rattling spring washer fix.

MSimpson
03-03-2006, 02:05 PM
After taking me Blazer to get it looked at the problem they thought they had fixed wasn't even the problem to begin with. Whenever I drive on a road with bumps or gravel I hear a knocking or vibrating sound in the right front area of the truck. Sometimes while I sit ideling I can turn the wheel and also hear the knocking.. Can anyone shed some light?

MSimpson
03-08-2006, 10:31 PM
I had a mechanic ride with me and he said that is sounds like something from behind my glove box. He doesn't believe it to be anything assoicated with the tire.

Any ideas?? Do Blazers have a common problems with a noise behind the glove box? He said possibly close to the heater box.

Is there any quick things I could check before tearing into my Blazer?

OverBoardProject
03-08-2006, 10:37 PM
It couldn't be something IN your glove box then could it?

There are several things in and around the heater that could rattle, but they are usually pretty good that way.

You might want to cut some wedges ot of foam and try wedging them behind the heat box though see if that helps

Brian R.
03-08-2006, 10:57 PM
Did you try the fix suggested above by OverBoardProject and chcknugget? As BlazerLT said, it is described in the FAQ thread.

BlazerLT
03-08-2006, 11:40 PM
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=302656

Add your comment to this topic!