01 Buick whining noise

warrior587
02-22-2006, 11:58 PM
2001 Buick Regal - supercharged.
Whining noise in the car - can't hear the noise when you listen by the motor. You can hear the noise when you are driving/idling - it gets louder as you accelerate. Sharp right and left turns causing a grinding noise and I notice a burnt rubber smell by the hood of the car.
The whining noise got very loud just before the power steering stopped working. The fluid had been leaking. Couldn't find the source of the leak, refilled the fluid.
The whining noise was getting loud again - mechanic notice a gap between the resevoir and the power steering pump. Replace the pump. He said the whining was still loud after the pump was replaced but quieted down after they ran it for a while.
The whining/grinding noise is still persisting days later and is again starting to get louder - unsure of what to check next.

Any suggestions?

StevePT
02-23-2006, 12:57 PM
Check both of the idler pullies. There's one for the main drive and one for the supercharger drive. Also, check the belts and make sure they aren't too worn out.

If there's something wrong with the steering rack, then it could be working the PS pump too hard and causing the whine. I would look into that.

Riordan3
02-23-2006, 10:19 PM
Hey don't overlook the alternator ( bad beaings ). I just went through this with my regal. The whining noise sounded like the power steering pump was the culprit. After ignoring it for a while the battery light came on because the alternator had failed. I replaced the alternator myself and the power steering like whining noise also went away. This was the second the time this alternator had failed due to bad bearings in 75K miles. The Delco Remy alternators are junky in the Luminas, Gran Prix, Monte Carlo, and Regal front wheel drive family. I owned a 1995 Monte Carlo and first alternator only lasted 60,000 miles. My Ford Windstar alternator bearings lasted to around 175,000 miles before I had it rebuilt at an alternator shop. Just my 2 cents

BNaylor
02-24-2006, 09:43 AM
The alternator in my '96 Lumina (rip) failed at around 50K miles. However, I still have my original alternators in all of my currently owned GM "W" body cars. '97 Grand Prix GTP (92K miles), '99 Regal LS (113K miles) and '01 Regal GS (55K miles).

Since the noise appers to be consistent with steering wheel movement I'd suspect the power steering and rack and pinion system.

Riordan3
02-28-2006, 09:31 PM
Hey just as a side note. My neighbor has a 96 Lumina and his alternator bearings bit the dust also around 60,000. I am not pushin the alternator in this post but just want you not to overlook it. Its a lot easier to replace the alternator than the power steering pump. You may want to consider pulling it out and taking it to Advance auto or Autozone. They will test it for free or try taking a long screwdriver and listen to the different belt driven accessories under the hood. Oh and I also forgot to mention my episode with my 2003 Dodge Caravan. I had a whining noise in it also. Took it to the local Dodge dealer. Upon hearing the noise on the first visit to the garage the mechanic that rode with me was convinced it was the main pump in the automatic transmission. Who was I to question it. So they pulled the tranny and installed new pump and also some seals. The noise went away for about 1 day. Came back as I went up a hill next to the dealership after picking up my spare keys from them. Went in and they said they would look at it again. This time around they replaced the power steering pump and also the water pump because they said it felt rough when they spun it. That lasted about 3 days. Went back again frustrated. Another mechanic takes out a stethescope and listens to the alternator. I guess the other two mechanics didn't believe in using a stethescope on this problem. Guess what, thats what it was all a long. The easiest thing to replace and it was done last. Need I say more. Oh by the way, this all happened a little over 60,000 miles again . I guess I have all the luck when my vehicles reach a little over 60,000 mile mark. You can best believe I will not have my Dodge repaired at this facility out of warranty. If you have access to a stethescope rather than the screwdriver it may work better for isolating the noise. And I almost forgot, I also had to replace the idler pulley ( the spring loaded one ) for the serpentine belt on my Buick Regal. It was not whining but making a rattling noise and the serpentine belt was getting destroyed because of it.

Riordan3
02-28-2006, 09:53 PM
Oh by the way I just remembered another episode I had which sounds a little like maybe what you have going on. I had a 1994 Dodge Caravan and it made a grinding noise everytime you would turn left or right and accelerated. It turns out I had a bad motor mount on the engine ( 3.0 liter ). The broken motor mount was allowing the engine to move too far and the serpentine belt was rubbing the frame somewhere and causing the grinding noise. Chrysler would not cover the broken motor mount under the 7/70000 warranty claiming it was a wear item. You might want to check the mounts on this 3.8 engine this could be the culprit also.

warrior587
04-03-2006, 10:41 PM
The saga continues...

Took the car into the mechanic again - he found the rear valve cover had a leaking gasket. Fixed that and the burning smell went away. Checked the power steering fluid and told me the whining was normal.

Noticed stiffness with steering after the car had been running a while and took in again. Mechanic checked it out and replaced power steering pump again. Checked tensioners, belt and water pump - everything looked okay.

The steering is better - haven't noticed any more problems there. Still have the whining noise as described previously. It is more high-pitched than before but otherwise the same.

troy1
04-03-2006, 11:09 PM
so are you burning up the PS pumps or what? If so there is a restriction in the system someplace most likely the rack is going bad. But it is possible there is air trapped in the system to after the fix. You will just have to slap some FORD stickers on it and no one will notice dang FORDs always seem to whine :)

BNaylor
04-03-2006, 11:36 PM
The steering is better - haven't noticed any more problems there. Still have the whining noise as described previously. It is more high-pitched than before but otherwise the same.

Thats interesting. The whining is normal....OK???? I don't have any whining sound in my '01 Regal GS. What area of the engine is the sound prevalent?

t-burn
04-08-2006, 09:31 AM
Can someone help me, where can I find instructions on how to replace a water pump for a 92 Buick Regal.
Thank you.

BNaylor
04-08-2006, 10:00 AM
Can someone help me, where can I find instructions on how to replace a water pump for a 92 Buick Regal.
Thank you.

What engine size? 3.1L or 3.8L?

You can go to www.Autozone.com. Put in your vehicle and then select Repair Info.

maxwedge
04-08-2006, 10:01 AM
Go to autozone.com/repairinfo put in car info then go to repair info.

BNaylor
04-08-2006, 10:21 AM
Go to autozone.com/repairinfo put in car info then go to repair info.

lol. :lol: You sound like an echo Max.

warrior587
07-02-2006, 06:32 PM
My Car is FIXED!

After replacing the pumps a couple of times, changing the tensioner and checking the drive belt. I replaced the rack and pinion. The whining noise didn't stop so I had them check the alignment to ensure all was working before once again replacing the pump. The whining is now gone.

It appears the rack and pinion has been killing off my pumps. The whining of the pump was a symptom of a larger problem.

Thanks for all of the advise in helping me solve this problem and I hope my solution helps others.

thanks

Add your comment to this topic!