Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

She's back on the road - belt jumped a

Ramblin Fever
02-22-2006, 09:05 AM
tooth, Rodeo02, you were right.

The waterpump WAS about to seize, and the noise I was hearing was actually the timing belt tensioner unable to keep the belt tight as it had already jumped a tooth. My guess was within a day or so of the waterpump revealing it's issue OR perhaps it's been off for a while.

She sounds SOOOO much quieter, even long before the waterpump was going. It's so weird, yesterday I tried to start it, and found that it was already running :uhoh:

Haven't gotten a chance to drive it more then the 10 miles to get her home, but it's nice to not see any peeing off the front-end.

Items replaced for those due for their timing belt package:

Waterpump; T-belt; T-belt tensioner; T-belt tensioner adjuster; Idler pulley; Crank & Camshaft seals, be prepared to pay $$$ in labor, unless you can do this yourself you're looking at $850-$1000 for all.

I think my rig may be the first to experience a waterpump going bad before the tensioner - hopefully others won't have to experience the same.

amigo-2k
02-22-2006, 09:54 AM
Congrats on keeping it rolling!

I can't wait to see the miles add to your signiture!

Ramblin Fever
02-22-2006, 10:08 AM
Congrats on keeping it rolling!

I can't wait to see the miles add to your signiture!

Yeah, they (the miles) BETTER be adding for what I put into this thing in the last week!!!!:banghead:

I won't lie though, we did look at the other side of things, i.e. pricing a 2005 Nissan X-terra. Cheapest one we could find was a 4x2 at $22k - NOT. Specially not at payments of $4-500 a month, when I can recoupe the $1,800 put into the Rodeo this week in 3-4mnths of not making payments.

Mechanic said that I should easily get another 3-4yrs, we'll sure try, but I fear the weakest link on this rig is the auto tranny. BUT, we're not having issues yet, so I'm not doubting it at this point.

From here on out, she will no longer tow more then 2k# - so the boat is permanently behind the diesel now, and I'm still contemplating taking the 32" tires off and putting 31"s back on.

rodeo02
02-22-2006, 10:58 AM
Good to hear she's back in action! Yes- $1800 is a bad blow, but if you can get another few years out of it, its not too bad. No way I'd swing $400-500/mo for a 4x2 Xterra either! That's nutz :banghead:

G/luck
Joel

directory
02-22-2006, 12:26 PM
you should be on the look out for a new (used) tranny.

then you could have it ready.

highlandlake
02-22-2006, 01:36 PM
you should be on the look out for a new (used) tranny.

then you could have it ready.

Don't jinx him!

Way to go, back on the road. And hats off to you for not going the path of huge new car payments, registration fees, insurance, and all that. But since you're smarter than the average bear, if you do need a tranny in a couple of years there will plenty of good boneyard ones for cheap because so many numb other people put their Rodeo's in the salvage yard instead of maintaining them and paying to get the bigger jobs done.
Are the new 4X4's worth it? :grinno: :screwy:

directory
02-22-2006, 03:47 PM
i run through the junk yards around here for extra parts (not finding any yet) just to have on hand. it is a good idea.

i wish that i could find a rear-ended wrecker to get more parts off of...no luck yet though

surferfletch
02-22-2006, 04:27 PM
Sweet!

Good decision and many more miles to ya!

Ramblin Fever
02-22-2006, 06:51 PM
Thanks guys for the good wishes!

Figured with all the good long trips and adventures this truck has given us, problematic free - I couldn't resist to put the money in her. This is the 1st time in 9yrs of owning it that I've had to put that amount in it, and that goes without saying how many different states, mountain regions, desert valleys she's taken us to.

The cost of new vehicles is just horrendous, and I'll be da$$ed if I'm gonna pay more then $12k on a 4x2 living in the high-country. Just cause I happen to own one now (bought in Las Vegas, NV), doesn't mean I'll buy another while living here.

Add your comment to this topic!