Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2001 Frontier - Brakes Question

Sox71
02-21-2006, 08:15 PM
I only have about 40,000 miles on my Frontier, I don't know a lot about cars and wanted to just ask a general question: every now and then when I'm going real slow and step on my brakes (i.e. - moving through a drive thru line), my breaks squeak. When I'm making a normal stop at a traffic light for instance, I usually hear nothing. Overall my brakes feel good, but I figure if I take it in to be looked at they'll definitely tell me they need to be replaced. I was just looking for some insight to see if what anyone thought, or if there is something I can do to check it myself.

I appreciate it ... thanks!

NukEvil
03-01-2006, 12:18 PM
I think your front-wheel brake pads could be getting pretty close to needing replacement. I'm having this same problem on my 2001 Nissan Frontier SE. When I apply the brake pedal slowly, it'll put out a rythmic squeaking, but when I put more pressure on the pedal, the squeaking stops.

I think that those brake pads come with wear tabs, which are little pieces of metal that rub up against the rotor when the brake pad has worn down. It's just a little warning signal to let you know that you need to replace those brake pads before all the black stuff gets worn off and your rotors start getting eaten up by metal.

diluded000
11-03-2006, 11:30 AM
Even on a 2wd you have to repack the bearings to get the front rotors off. I did it on my 01 a couple of years ago and it wasn't that bad.

Add your comment to this topic!