Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

'00 p71 making weird noise

kanklez
02-21-2006, 06:34 PM
So i just recently bought a cv with low miles and in good condition. I had a full service tune up done to it consisting of new spark plugs, new boots, etc...

Now to the problem:

There are 2 noises that It is making. When i first turn the car on in the morning or after I havent driven it for maybe a day there is this loud humming noise coming form the engine. It's almost like a vibration I would say and when i give it a good bit of gas it will stop for like a minute or so. It eventually stops once my engine warms up but I would like to know whats causing that noise.

The other noise that it makes is very weird and I have no idea what it could be. When I am at a light and it changes, I push down on the accelerator and there is a water "swashing" back and forth noise around the ac unit. Now when i turn the A/C off sometimes it will stop after a bit but sometimes it still happens. The car runs smoothly, not rough at all, just wondering what it could be.

Another thing that ive heard is when i turn the feel to the far left/right i hear metal on metal grinding or something that doesnt sound good. Just wondering if they are all like that.

Ive started to hear a little bit of a knocking noise coming from the front driver side wheel when the brakes are applied firmly but not slammed. Thinking I might need new shocks but I figured you guys would know best.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Nick

way2old
02-21-2006, 07:00 PM
1st noise is what is commonly referred to as the "hooter tube" It is the plastic hose that runs from the air inlet tube to the idle speed motor.

Second noise may be the a/c plenum drain is plugged and water is accumulating from the evaporator to the bottom of plenum.

Third. Look up under the car and you will see steering stops on the back side of the spindle. If these are shiny, apply a little chassis grease to them.

Fourth. Check the brake pads to be sure they are not moving in the seats or you have a rotor that is starting to warp causing a pad slap noise.

kanklez
02-21-2006, 10:34 PM
thank you so much. how do i go about fixing the first two? Should I fix them or is it not neccessary?

way2old
02-22-2006, 06:37 AM
The humming noise will require you replace the hose. It is really inexpensive and easily changed.
The a/c drain is down under the a/c plenum under the hood. Search around until you see a rebber elbow that is attached to the firewall. It should easily pull off. Then use a small screwdriver and gently clean out any debris in the hole. If you have a place you can back it up on a slight incline, more water will come out if that is the problem. Let it drain until water stops. Make sure the rubber boot is open and allows watef to drain through it. Good luck.

kanklez
02-22-2006, 09:54 AM
What is the actual part name for the "hooter tube" and can i pick it up at like a advanced auto parts store?

way2old
02-22-2006, 01:32 PM
Never did know the official name for it. The Ford dealer will have them in stock and they are very cheap. If you ask for a hooter tube, they will know what you are talking about.

kanklez
02-22-2006, 05:25 PM
do you know of a diagram that would show me both of these parts. The ford parts center said they have never heard of a hooter tube and the only tube they thought it could be was $87. I dont know what a plenum is either, sorry just got the car and I've never really worked on cars before.

way2old
02-22-2006, 06:25 PM
Tell parts guy it is the little tube that runs from the air inlet tube to the Idle Speed Control Valve. The plenum is the black plastic thing on the passenger side under the hood. The drain will be down close to the engine under the big black plastic thing. It may have sort of a silver insulation on it. I don't have a diagram I can post, sorry.

kanklez
02-22-2006, 06:37 PM
Thanks for the help, going to check it out right now.

kanklez
02-23-2006, 02:44 PM
the people at the ford dealership said they have no clue what i am talking about when i tell them exactly what you told me and keep talking about the hose running to the throttle body. Not sure what to do now...

Another thing ive kinda noticed is that while driving my steering wheel kind of makes a clicking noise when i turn it either direction. It sounds almost like the clicking that the turn signals make. It isnt very loud but noticable when driving.

way2old
02-23-2006, 06:16 PM
Look at your car and on the drivers side toward the back, there is a small plastic hose that runs from the big intake hose to the air by pass valve. It is sort of shaped like a big bracket ( ] ). Drive to the Ford dealer, take the hose off and go ask them if they know what that is.
The clicking is a new one on me. Just look to see if anything looks loose or is something hitting the column.

Add your comment to this topic!