Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

fuel problem?

hillbilly59
02-20-2006, 07:13 PM
need some help on this one!!. i have a 92 eclipse with 2.0 nonturbo that i put a engine in. the problem is when i connect the battery cables all the dash lights come on as if i am starting the engine although the engine doesnt crank and i discovered that the fuel pump was runnning non stop and actually pumped the clynders full with about a gallon in the oil aslo.i pulled the fuse at the battery cable which was marked "MPI" and everything appeared to be normal with the dash lights only coming on with key turned on. my ? could the fp relay cause the pump to run constantly. i also cannot find a good wiring diagram as haynes does not cover fuel wiring-- any suggestions anyone?? i should also mention that the ignition key was never turned when all the fuel was being pumped in the engine.

thanks for any help
hillbilly59:banghead:

Shpyder
02-20-2006, 08:07 PM
Welcome to the forums. If you have not already done so, please read the stickied FAQs and forum rules, and use the seach feature before posting any queries.

(also, please post problems in the problem diagnostic sub-forum).

shpyder

hillbilly59
02-20-2006, 09:32 PM
i did a search and came up zero,sorry about posting in wrong forums wont happen again, i have been around reading for a long time in forums. first time i had to post to try to get some help i usally just search and read and find out all info i need.

hillbilly59

gthompson97
02-21-2006, 07:34 AM
need some help on this one!!. i have a 92 eclipse with 2.0 nonturbo that i put a engine in. the problem is when i connect the battery cables all the dash lights come on as if i am starting the engine although the engine doesnt crank and i discovered that the fuel pump was runnning non stop and actually pumped the clynders full with about a gallon in the oil aslo.i pulled the fuse at the battery cable which was marked "MPI" and everything appeared to be normal with the dash lights only coming on with key turned on. my ? could the fp relay cause the pump to run constantly. i also cannot find a good wiring diagram as haynes does not cover fuel wiring-- any suggestions anyone?? i should also mention that the ignition key was never turned when all the fuel was being pumped in the engine.

thanks for any help
hillbilly59:banghead:

You have one huge fucking problem. First of all, make sure you change the oil before you try to start it. Oil + gas = Bad. You can try changing the Fuel Pump relay, but the fuel pump should always be on anyways, but the injectors shouldn't be pumping any fuel into the cylinders. You weren't cranking it over at any time during this were you?

hillbilly59
02-21-2006, 08:01 PM
well i found the problem---someone had a jumper wire at the fuel pump relay causing the pump to run as soon as the key was turned on, fixed that put on a relay, removed jumper wire, drained all the old oil and gas mixture, put some marvel mystery oil down in clynders and let it sit awhile. motor now turns over smooth and no more fuel going to clynders. i have a few more things to button up before starting. car had a bad motor when i bought it. thanks for reply

hillbilly59

laurie2098
02-26-2006, 06:50 AM
Hi, I am having a similar problem with my 92 Eagle Talon Tsi FWD. For some reason the engine keeps filling up with fuel and getting flooded when ever you try to crank the car over and it won't start. My machanic is telling me that I need a new computer (ECU) But I was wondering if I changed the fuel relay if it might start anyway. Where abouts is this wire that you bypassed??? I REALLY NEED HELP ANYONE!!!!!!!!!!

laurie2098
02-26-2006, 06:55 AM
1992 Eagle Talon Tsi FWD

I am having a problem with the engine getting flooded every time we try to start the car. I have replaced the Fuel Pump, Coil, Spark plugs and wires and I was told by my machanic that I need an ECU. Though it seems that if the car needs that then it should crank over at all. I was wondering if maybe the fuel relay could be causing this to happen.I REALLY NEED HELP!!!!!

ez1286
02-27-2006, 03:27 AM
Interesting, two different colors...
It could be your ecu, check to see if the plugs are getting spark when you try to start it, get a spare spark plug, pull a wire and connect it to that wire ground the wire to the engine and see if it sparks when you attempt to start it. DO NOT touch the caronly hold the plug wire by the base, wearing gloves might help too, you'll need someone to help so make them hold the plug so you don't have to worry about getting shocked. Just don't inform them of the risks involved (j/p it hurts but it's not that bad if you do get shocked (I know for a fact))

laurie2098
02-27-2006, 06:19 AM
Hi, Thanks for the reply. The car is for sure getting spark. Its at a garage right now and the machanic has done all kinds of things. We replaced all spark plugs, wires, coil pack and it is for sure getting spark. The problem its having is the engine is getting flooded out when you try to start it. Getting to much fuel its just dumping into the engine instead of regulating. I really need help. I love this car. I really don't want to have to JUNK it. I look forward to your reply. Thanks

ez1286
02-27-2006, 11:34 AM
What about fuel pressure regulator? That could have gone bad and may be causing these problems. That's probably the next step to take. Makes sense if you think about it, the pressure is way too high so it floods. As for the ecu, I doubt it would be that, unless you weren't getting spark...

hillbilly59
02-28-2006, 08:01 PM
the problem i had was that some jack##s jumped a wire on the fuel pump relay causing 90% of my problem, the other 10% came from more wires bridged and throwin power to the injectors. you could have a bad relay also give me some info on car i do have a ecu-may fit yours--post the factory # on ecu and i will check the ones i have. i am sending a laser to crusher in a few days so let me know if i can help.

hillbilly

Add your comment to this topic!