Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

click click click...

buickmastermind
02-20-2006, 04:54 PM
I was driving home the other day from getting pizza, and hit a bump.
The back end of this car was shot, and I had done a lot of welding to patch it up. Well, I hit the small bump and something else broke around the welds, and now the engine is starting to crap out. It started when I hit the bump accelerating from a stop sign; I wasn't even going 25 yet. Must have been the cold.

I can hear a click (sounds like a lifter) coming from beneath the throttle body somewhere. So, I got my trusty 1/4" metal bar, and start searching for the source of the noise. The valves are not making the sound, nor is the throttle body/ intake. I can hear it coming from right where the thermostat is. It isn't very loud, and my 10" bar wasn't long enough to poke any lower. I can sorta hear it on the motor mount, but it is louder where the thermostat is. No metal in the oil yet, and tranny fluid seems okay. I can definately tell, even when in the car, that it is coming from the drivers side (back) of the engine. I don't know how low on the block the sound is, but definately below the intake manifold. Put some lucas oil treatment in, as that may help. With any luck, it isn't a major problem, and I can get by until the weekend when I'll be able to tear it down if neccessary.
It sounds to me like it may be a lifter, but before I do anything, can anybody confirm this?

Add your comment to this topic!