2001 Cherokee engine cuts off while driving

jfk718
02-19-2006, 06:00 PM
I'm hoping to get some help here. I have a 2001 Laredo with 58k miles on it. For the past 4 months, the engine will cut off in the middle of me driving. I can be doing 60mph on the highway, or waiting at the light, and the car's engine will shut off. One I come to a complete stop, the Check Gages light comes on. Here are the steps I have taken, and yet I'm still at Square1.

Car was place on a diagnostic machine, and sensor was change according to the diagnostic machine.
After a day or so the car cut off again, check cages light comes on and my mechanic place it back on the machine, but this time it is not showing anything wrong. My mechanic seems to believe the codes are erasing themselves. He drove the car a few days, and figured it wad the fuel pump not pumping the gas correctly. He changed the pump.
Once again after a few days, the engine cut off in the middle of me doing 60 on highway. I gave it back to my mechanic, and he drove it a few days, and it cut off on him again. This time he change another piece(sorry, I'm not too good with car parts) that connects to the fuel pump.The car has cut off on me in the middle of me driving, and each time the check cages like comes on. The car as been to the dealer, several mechanics, and each time it shuts off in the middle of me driving. The dealer checked the wiring, the alternator, the starter....

*SOS* IF ANYONE HAS ENCOUNTERED MY PROBLEM, PLEASE RESPOND ASAP. MY CAR IS MY ONLY WAY OF GETTING TO WORK

YtseJam454
02-19-2006, 06:21 PM
Get a new mechanic number one. If he is just changing parts when he sees a code then he is a numbnut. There is no such machine that will tell you what is wrong with a car. Your check gauges light should come on when the engine stalls. So if I am understanding you correctly the engine will stall while driving and then will restart? Yes? Start with the basics, when it stalls turn the ignition off wait a few seconds then turn it back on and listen for the fuel pump. Have you had a tune up done recently?

MT-2500
02-19-2006, 06:41 PM
A good five star cry dealer pops into my mind on that one.
A machine or code doe not say replace the sensor it says check it out.
What was the code no? have it rechecked for codes and Post back code no.
MT

jfk718
02-20-2006, 07:58 AM
I have had a tune up while in the process of trying to fix this problem. When the engine cuts off, it will take about 10-20 mins to get it back going. I'll turn the ignition, and hear a clicking noise. On time it cut off, and I put it in neutral. I Police pushed the car, and once I got momentum, I tried to get the engine to start, and somehow it did. Other times, it has just been a "keep trying" approach

MT-2500
02-20-2006, 09:50 AM
Find out where the clicking is. And go from there.
Check for codes.
Here is a link to finding a five start dealer.
http://www.dodge.com/owners/index.html
Good Luck MT

jfk718
02-21-2006, 11:09 AM
Well I took it to a 5 star place today and was told the main computer to the car is bad and that it needs to be replaced. $420 for the computer, $90 to program it, and 150 for the installation. I have no idea what the first mechanic was doing not to see the computer was bad.

Thanks for the advice, and I hope that I don't have this problem after i fork over 660 dollars to get the car fixed

MT-2500
02-21-2006, 11:34 AM
Hold up there before you pay for that computer.
The are jacking you around. :grinyes:
It is covered under the fed emmision warranty by crysler.:lol:
Get on there case. :rofl:
Look in your owners manual.
It will state the coverage on it in there. Should be 7 year or 70K or may be 8 year or 80K
If they do not come across call that customer service no in owners manual and pull one of the 5 stars from the dealer.
Let us know how it goes.
MT

Add your comment to this topic!