Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Another exhaust question...

hshawn31
02-19-2006, 03:51 PM
I have a leak somewhere on the exhaust. I checked and found a hole in the flex pipe. I bought some of that goop that seals holes and cracks but now it seems louder than ever. I havent checked again yet, but i was wondering where and how much a new exhaust would cost me for the whole thing ( pipes, cat and muffler)?

Dober89
02-19-2006, 08:20 PM
I have a leak in the exact same spot. I got a quote for around 200 canadian for them to cut out the flex piece and weld in a new flex pipe. I think id rather just spend some more money and replace the whole y pipe though.

marcre
02-19-2006, 08:42 PM
I had my Y pipe worked on last year via the cut out the bad and insert new method at a muffler shop. It was $200 for that, the Y pipe replaced would have been around $425. I should have done that because now this year I have to replace the Y pipe, it started to leak after a few months when I had it repaired.

jcb18
09-12-2006, 02:01 PM
I know this thread is a few months old but....

I'm pretty sure I have an exhaust leak too. Is the flex pipe a common point where this would happen on a 99 Rodeo, V6? If it's a small hole, can I just use one of those wrap kits (tiger patch) to fix it?

Dober89
09-12-2006, 04:37 PM
This seems to be the most common spot for an exhaust leak that I've seen so far. The problem with patching this spot is that usually the meshed part in the center of the flexible fitting breaks and because its like weaved strands of steel its hard to patch.

I ended up buying a flex connector from a local parts store for around 40 bucks and I welded it in myself. That was a total pain in the ass but its done atleast.

Add your comment to this topic!