Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

01 Jimmy Problem

harlancountian
02-19-2006, 11:21 AM
I have been having this problem on and off for a little while. I have an 01 Jimmy 4dr 4x4 with around 65,000 miles. The engine started to surge. And sometimes would die. After I took it to a shop to get the codes, I got a camshaft sensor and crackshaft sensor malfunction. I replaced both sensors and vehicle was good for maybe 3 months or so. Then it started to do it again. This time I am getting a crankshaft senor code. I thought I could have got a bad sensor so I went and swaped it at advanced auto store under the waranty of the sensor. That was not it. I have only got another camshaft sensor code once, It seems to be the crankshaft sensor code. And the SES light will come on and go off. The RPM gauge jumps considerablely and all these problems seem to happen after the car has been driven about 15-20 minutes. Usually after being parked for several hours it is fine for the first 15 to 20 mins.

I think my trans may be a little over full but I cant see how that may have anything to do with this. And it had a full tune up about 2000 miles ago.

Any help????

MT-2500
02-19-2006, 12:07 PM
Post back code no. with what eng and trans.
MT

harlancountian
02-19-2006, 02:15 PM
Cant remember the camshaft code but the one I am getting all the time now is the 335.

4.3 vortec and I am not sure about the tranny??? It is automatic. And I had to get it rebuilt at arount 55000.

MT-2500
02-19-2006, 03:47 PM
You need to find a good repair shop that has a engine capable scanner and test equipment to check and test it out.
The code 335 is for the crankshaft sensor position sensor signal not detected.
May be sensor or wiring or wiring circuit or plugin or even in the pcm.
Also the dist camshaft retard needs to be checked and set.
Remember that codes do not say replace the sensor they say check it out.
Here is a link to the all data DIY repair info online sub that has the repair flow charts for the codes. If you are going to work on ityourself.
But without a good scanner and Volt/ohm meter and test equipment you can not do much testing.
Good luck and let us know how it goes.
MT
http://www.alldata.com/products/diy/index.html

harlancountian
02-21-2006, 07:31 AM
Boy this may seem odd but after diving the vehicle this morning ( with no problems ), I pop the hood when I get home to check the tranny fluid. As soon as I started to pull the dip stick out, the motor dies before I could even get the rubber "seal" ( the part that is at the top of the dip stick that expands when the "latch" is pushed pushed down ) out from the dip stick tube. So I thought that there may be a short in the harness that is between the firewall and dip stick. So I started the eng. and wiggled the wires all around and motor continues to run. So as I keep the harness out of the way, I again try to pull the dipstick out and the motor dies again. Then I went ahead and pulled the dipstick out a little and restart the eng. I went ahead and pulled the dip stick out wipped it off and checked my oil. Come to find out my wife, God bless her heart, took it upon herself to keep a check on the oil levels and over time by not seeing the level properly has been adding trans fluid. It is a considerable amount over. I guess I will drain the trans and put the specified fluid amount by the book back in. But, thats not it, I put the dipstick back in and sealed it and let the eng. run for about 3-4 min. I went back to pull the dip stick back out and low and behold the eng dies again. What in the world is going on?????

MT-2500
02-21-2006, 08:34 AM
That sounds like a interesting hair puller.
If it keeps on doing it take a close look around the dip stick for any wires that may be close to it or touching it. I think some spark plug wires and other stuff run next to it.
Move them around or wiggle them just a little.
Let us know how it goes.
MT

skidude
02-21-2006, 11:57 AM
Sounds like the same problem I was having on my 97 Jimmy. Mine also seemed like it was missing while running. Changed all the plugs and wires and still the same. Motor idle not right and code. I played around with this one for a year. I too had my motor rebuilt. Check the teeth on the end of the distributor shaft. Mine had wear. Changed distributor shaft and all is well.

harlancountian
02-26-2006, 08:29 PM
OK, I have not been out on a long trip yet, but for some odd reason, ever since I drained my tranny to the proper level, I have yet to have any of the problems. (knock on wood with crossed fingers) And MT you were right on with the tranny dip stick tube. It was nudgeing the center spark plug wire everytime I was pulling out the stick. I pulled the tube back and out of the way very slightly. Boy that is a piss poor set up for the tube to run right between the two rear spark plug wires right where they connect to the dist. cap. Any thanks for everyones help and hopfully I wont have to come back in here for this same problem.

MT-2500
02-26-2006, 08:46 PM
Thanks for posting back and letting us all know how it went.
We are glad you got if figured out and fixed.
If you have not already you might want to go a new set of plug wires.
Good luck MT

Add your comment to this topic!