Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Makin' some changes....

LowETz
02-18-2006, 07:46 PM
..... and would like some thoughts from you auto/stalled guys.
As some of you may know, the pewter pig started life as an M6 car. I've recently decided to get a little more serious w/the car and make some changes in the name of that ever sinfull affliction known as ET reductionitis.

Here's the deal-

Car is making decent power at the wheels, and has slowly become more and more a race car than a street car..... full rod end linked suspension, drag springs/shocks, end linked drag bar/LCA's, dumped x-pipe sysyem, big gear(relative), cage/full time slicks etc.... you get the idea.

While it's not a DD, I do enjoy bringing her out on the streets on a sunny afternoon or a night on the town. At this stage, it's tolerable, but not exactly comfortable for much more than an hour at a time..... so, w/that said, I figure I can't do to much more harm in the "easy to be in" catagory and have decided to go w/a tranny swap..... a used/re-freshen'd Rossler T400(reverse manual VB), 8" converter, big stall/str, T- brake, air assist.

Here's the gotch'a-

Always been a manual guy.... have a good understanding of auto's but no real experience, so I'm not sure what will best fit my needs. I know I can talk to the tech's at Rossler/Yank/TCI, but wanted some real world feedback.

Just did a fresh gear swap.... 4.56's and new 28" slicks(thinking I'd still be manual this year).
I feel like it's gonna be too much gear for a stalled auto. Most everyone I know(auto) in a street/strip car is running somewhere between a 3.42 and a 4.10.
Currently goin' through the lights @ 6500... on motor. Nearly bangin' the limiter on a 150 hit. Limiter is @ 6900. Peak power is at 6400 on motor and don't want to spin it any higher if I don't have to.

So.... any thoughts on the best way to work this? High stall/low str? Low stall/high str(is what I'm leaning toward w/the current rear gear),.... taller tire, or nut up and do yet another gear swap?

Also.... what brand/size TC are you guys using and what size stall/str?

Sorry 'bout the long ass read....thanx guys!

chevytrucks92
02-18-2006, 10:28 PM
Bout time you got serious about drag racing and decided to go with an auto. LOL.

You probably wont do it, but I suggest a Powerglide. Best transmission made for drag racing IMO. Get one with a 1.76 shaft and your 4.56 gear might not be enough! lolol.

Anyways, I also read where you plan on using an air shifter, well, thats fine, but you might want to consider an electric unit. That way you never have to worry about remembering to turn your air on, or running out of C02.

Now, as for what I run. Not sure what size it is, but I got a B&M converter, and I think its a 5000 stall. Its just been too long ago for me to remember details about the converter. I Think it was about 6 or 7 years ago when that was changed, lol.

Anyways, I run a Powerglide tranny with the low ratio shaft (pretty sure its a 1.76) and a 5.13 Richmond race gear. With my current motor (which BTW is now tore down-taking the heads Monday to get new valve springs and then the transformation from flat top 355 to dome 383 will begin shortly there-after), I was turning 6000 RPMs at the 1/8th mile. When my 406 was still around, it would turn 6000 RPMs in 330 ft (dont know what it would have done in an 1/8th, however, the 355 turned 5500 in 330 ft). And I run 31 inch tall tires.

And for what size stall converter to use, you probably shoudl take into consideration what rpm range your cam is.

LowETz
02-19-2006, 12:44 PM
Bout time you got serious about drag racing and decided to go with an auto. LOL.

LOL! Now... how'd I know you'd be the first to reply.... knew I could count on you! :lol: Yeah.... the car has been in denial for awhile now. Finally convinced her she's not the family car, and she needed to know her role :rofl:

You probably wont do it, but I suggest a Powerglide. Best transmission made for drag racing IMO. Get one with a 1.76 shaft and your 4.56 gear might not be enough! lolol.

Actually... was thinking Glide, but.... Momma wants to be able to go for a ride around town on nice days/evenings too. Women :banghead: Buddy of mine has a used/refreshened Rossler T4 he's basically giving me(he's tired of my whining :dunno: ). Already set up w/all the bells/whistles and should meet my needs(remember Momma? :( )..... so that's why I'm leaning toward it.

Now, as for what I run. Not sure what size it is, but I got a B&M converter, and I think its a 5000 stall. Its just been too long ago for me to remember details about the converter. I Think it was about 6 or 7 years ago when that was changed, lol.

The converter in it is a TCI 4400 non lock up. Like I was saying... just not sure if I'm running too much gear. Remember, I'm running 1320, but hey, if I can get her into the 5's in the 1/8th, I don't have a problem w/just running 660' and lifting-

With my current motor (which BTW is now tore down-taking the heads Monday to get new valve springs and then the transformation from flat top 355 to dome 383 will begin shortly there-after)

Bout time you got serious about drag racing. :grinyes: :lol: Sorry... had to do it :rofl:

And for what size stall converter to use, you probably shoudl take into consideration what rpm range your cam is.

Yeah.... exactly. That's what I was saying about thinking I'd be out of breath before the lights. I'm thinking a taller tire is the best(easiest)way to solve this. Gonna go that route and see what happens. Need to do a search for a calculator that'll let me play w/tire sizes vs. gearing vs. power vs. NA vs. N2o.

Thanx for the reply Chevy!

chevytrucks92
02-19-2006, 08:26 PM
Lol. No problem man. I guess a 3 or 4 spd tranny would be better suited for a pure 1/4 mile car, lol. Remember, where I'm from, Top ET/Super Pro/Bracket 1 all just run an 1/8th, even if its a 1/4 mile track, lol.

I figured you'd have something to say about my motor, lol. I've changed my mind yet again, lol (worse then a woman-shew, lol). I'm still going with a 383, but I'm not going to use my block unless I absolutly have to. I'm just going to buy a 4-bolt main 350 block from the shop that's going to do it (they advertise them for like $800, so I'm hoping they still have some). Anyways, that way my current engine (now a short block, lol) can be kept for a spare. Later in the year I'm going to overhaul it though. At the very least I'll put new rigns, bearings, and dome pistons. Probably change rods too (its got what they call "pink" rods in it, which is essentially just a heavier duty stock rod).

Either way, I'll have a 383 as my main engine.

I have been very tempted however to just break down and buy a World Products short block from Jegs or Summit. Very tempted indeed. They have all the good stuff (Motown race block, Eagle forged crank, Eagle forged rods, Mahle coated pistons) and are ready to run (well, you know, got to cram a cam in and bolt the heads and intake down). Anyways, the one I am considering makes a 427 small block (standard bore 400 block with a 4 inch stroke crank). That would be a screamer with my heads and intake. Probably put me way down in the 6s and well over 600 horsepower. Like I say, I'm very VERY tempted to do that. It'd be by far the most expensive route (about $5000 by the time it got here for just a short block, lol), but it would be the easiest route.

Whatever happens tomorrow will make that decision. If the shop tells me they can't have me running before April 9, then its either do that or buy a rotating assembly and put it together myself.

Add your comment to this topic!