Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1985 Tercel HELP!

Bobswife
02-18-2006, 06:10 PM
We have an 85 tercel. Yesterday it started burping a bit in AM (driving it to work) and then once or twice on way home. I noticed a loss of power from a stop also. Last night and today when DH went to look at it, he floored it and it wouldn't move off idle speed. I did finally after doing that for maybe 5 minutes get it to run faster and then put some gas line antifreeze in it (we have been colder her the last few days) letting it run a few minutes to work it through the gas lines. I had hoped that cured it, though it still had a clitter clatter sound and some vibration (but she is an old car...) and I didn't drive it. Anyway, While talking with my DH I went to start it again and it was doing the same thing. HELP...... what could it be?

THANK YOU!
Kim and Bob

Brian R.
03-02-2006, 02:39 AM
Welcome to the AF!

You can try cleaning the throttle body and IAC valve, and clean up the inside of the EGR valve also.

JOET/CAMRY
03-05-2006, 05:11 PM
Welcome to the AF!

You can try cleaning the throttle body and IAC valve, and clean up the inside of the EGR valve also.

I don't think the 1985 Tercel had fuel injection.:confused: if not, no throttle body, and no IAC valve. The EGR valve could need a good cleaning. My girlfriends 1988 Tercel with the Variable Venturi Carburetor runs sluggish every now and then because of carbon buildup in the engine. I take it out for a drive and punch the gas peddal to the floor a few times once the engine is hot. this seems to clear out alot of the carbon/crap in the engine. your car might have carbon buildup in the engine.you might want to try putting a additive in the gas. seafoam is supposed to be a good gas additive.:) good luck.

Regards,
JOET/CAMRY

97cavalier
03-05-2006, 06:30 PM
next time you change your oil, drain a quart of oil out of your motot, and put a quart of auto tranny fluid in your oil, start it up and run it till the engine get hot, then change the oil. The tranny fluid cleans out all of that sludge and crap out of there.

Add your comment to this topic!