Flashers work, turn signals don't 1999 Venture

almostblue
02-18-2006, 03:46 PM
Flashers work, turn signals don't 1999 Venture.
Started intermittant, then failed.
Replaced the turn signal assembly - same issue.
Door alarm goes off when parking lamp fuse is pulled
Checked connections in rear tail lights - OK
willing to replace parts.. not sure which one to replace next.
Almost got ripped by the dealer, as they suggested $900 to replace the assembly I just did for $65, and it wouldn't have worked anyway.

GregA
02-18-2006, 07:29 PM
Congratulations on avoiding the dealer :grinyes:

What exactly happens when you try to use the turn signals?
Do ANY of the lights (front & back) come ON and NOT FLASH or do the lights just NOT come on at all?

And what was replaced when you say "turn signal assembly" - the switch on the column or the Flasher module (under the dash - I think)?

If the lights are coming ON but NOT flashing, I would suspect the Flasher Module. This is because it basically "heats up" as current flows through it and will open to flash the lights (OFF). When it cools, it closes again (lights ON).

The difference between the Hazard & Signal mode is that twice as much current will be drawn when in Hazard mode (all lights on instead of only one side), allowing a "better chance" that the flasher would heat up.

Take Care,

almostblue
02-20-2006, 12:13 PM
Thank you for the response!!! Yes, the switch on the column. None of the lights, on the dash, or in the lenses come on (it was intermittant for a while). Interesting about the extra voltage for flashers, but sadly probably not the case for me since the lights don't come on at all. I tried to find the module under the dash - heard the clicking, couldn't narrow it down. Even looked uner the hood, because I think the 200 model had it there, but less noise there. I have heard chat about replacing a "circuit board" but have no idea what people are talking about . I am hoping it is not the instrument guage, as pulling that out is beyond my experience :-)
thanks again.

Congratulations on avoiding the dealer :grinyes:

What exactly happens when you try to use the turn signals?
Do ANY of the lights (front & back) come ON and NOT FLASH or do the lights just NOT come on at all?

And what was replaced when you say "turn signal assembly" - the switch on the column or the Flasher module (under the dash - I think)?

If the lights are coming ON but NOT flashing, I would suspect the Flasher Module. This is because it basically "heats up" as current flows through it and will open to flash the lights (OFF). When it cools, it closes again (lights ON).

The difference between the Hazard & Signal mode is that twice as much current will be drawn when in Hazard mode (all lights on instead of only one side), allowing a "better chance" that the flasher would heat up.

Take Care,

GregA
02-20-2006, 09:25 PM
Thank you for the response!!! Yes, the switch on the column. None of the lights, on the dash, or in the lenses come on (it was intermittant for a while). Interesting about the extra voltage for flashers, but sadly probably not the case for me since the lights don't come on at all. I tried to find the module under the dash - heard the clicking, couldn't narrow it down. Even looked uner the hood, because I think the 200 model had it there, but less noise there. I have heard chat about replacing a "circuit board" but have no idea what people are talking about . I am hoping it is not the instrument guage, as pulling that out is beyond my experience :-)
thanks again.
Ah - No Lights when using the turn signals.

I seem to remember (from the schematic) that there are TWO separate fuses: one for the Hazards (15 Amp) and one for the Turn Signals (10 Amp). Take a look at the page below.

Chevrolet Venture Fuses (http://www.my-chevy-venture.com/fuses.html)

You will notice (in the TOP picture/table) that there are TWO fuses labeled "Turn Signal Switch" (#18 & #21). I thought that was kind of strange (to have 2 fuses for the same function), but now that you have discovered YOUR problem, I believe that #18 (10 Amp) supplies power when you use the Turn Signals and #21 (15 Amp) supplies power when the Hazard switch is used.

So ... Check fuse #18. I would bet :2cents: it is blown. If not, check that there is power (12 Volts) at one side of the socket when the ignition is turned on. At least that is something to check.

Oh yeah - I think that the "circuit board" folks are referring to is where the rear light bulbs plug in. This should NOT be a problem if your hazard lights are working.

Take Care,

almostblue
02-21-2006, 08:08 PM
wow! great web site ! - I couldn't resist a little adwords clickfraud to earn you a few pennies :-) I feel quite stupid that I have only located the SECOND fuse / relay box near the battery. I am not sure if I still have the factory manual, so I am wondering where the other fuse / breaker box is?? probably in the interior in some obvious place!

Ah - No Lights when using the turn signals.

I seem to remember (from the schematic) that there are TWO separate fuses: one for the Hazards (15 Amp) and one for the Turn Signals (10 Amp). Take a look at the page below.

Chevrolet Venture Fuses (http://www.my-chevy-venture.com/fuses.html)

You will notice (in the TOP picture/table) that there are TWO fuses labeled "Turn Signal Switch" (#18 & #21). I thought that was kind of strange (to have 2 fuses for the same function), but now that you have discovered YOUR problem, I believe that #18 (10 Amp) supplies power when you use the Turn Signals and #21 (15 Amp) supplies power when the Hazard switch is used.

So ... Check fuse #18. I would bet :2cents: it is blown. If not, check that there is power (12 Volts) at one side of the socket when the ignition is turned on. At least that is something to check.

Oh yeah - I think that the "circuit board" folks are referring to is where the rear light bulbs plug in. This should NOT be a problem if your hazard lights are working.

Take Care,

almostblue
02-21-2006, 08:29 PM
I get it now- on the passenger side dash on the hinge side of the door - available only when you open the door
I will check it this evening
thanks!

https://www.mygmlink.com/pdf/go2content/manual/US/en/chevrolet/2000venture.pdf

almostblue
02-22-2006, 01:46 AM
Hey GregA.

I am in complete shock!!
I just never assumed the dealer would try to pull a scam like that. I didn't even check the fuse, as I had my in-laws take it to the dealer to get a new fuse, which is when they claimed we needed to spend $800 for a new steering column switch. I would seek to expose them, but they have since been bought out.
Thanks a million for pointing out what should have been super obvious! And a great ste you have.
I am still in shock. And yes, of course, the signals work now.
It doesn't explain why the engine dies after 5 seconds until I pull the parking lamp fuse, which makes it run, but makes the door alarm go off, but who knows, maybe the dealer sabotaged something!

GregA
02-22-2006, 03:36 PM
I'm glad I could help getting your signals to work again. :)

To give them the benefit of the doubt, the service writer at the dealer MAY have been giving you a "worst case" estimate for the "most common" problem they have encountered in the past.

As for the engine dying when the parking lamp fuse is in, I would suspect a short somewhere in the wiring. If that was the case, it SHOULD generate a code when the engine shuts down. That could lead you to the problem, or at least get you in the right area.

Take Care,

almostblue
02-22-2006, 05:41 PM
yes, you really made my day - you have no idea what it is like listening to your mother-in-law complaining and refusing to drive a car because of that.
I may splurge for a new circuit board for the left rear light assembly, because there is some corrosion appearance in one of the pins far worse than the others, and who knows, it could have caused the fuse to blow, and could be causing the alarm to go off when the door is open and the parking lamp fuse is out :-)

I'm glad I could help getting your signals to work again. :)

To give them the benefit of the doubt, the service writer at the dealer MAY have been giving you a "worst case" estimate for the "most common" problem they have encountered in the past.

As for the engine dying when the parking lamp fuse is in, I would suspect a short somewhere in the wiring. If that was the case, it SHOULD generate a code when the engine shuts down. That could lead you to the problem, or at least get you in the right area.

Take Care,

GregA
02-23-2006, 12:30 AM
yes, you really made my day - you have no idea what it is like listening to your mother-in-law complaining and refusing to drive a car because of that.
I may splurge for a new circuit board for the left rear light assembly, because there is some corrosion appearance in one of the pins far worse than the others, and who knows, it could have caused the fuse to blow, and could be causing the alarm to go off when the door is open and the parking lamp fuse is out :-)
I do have my wife, who is still kind of fearful of driving the Jeep after there was a problem with the head gasket. It really freaked her out. :crying: We had to get the heads replaced (they were cracked), but after that it has been running pretty good.
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=430825

I have had to troubleshoot & replace a few parts on the Jeep (TPS, CPS, VSS), but nothing too bad. And of course I had the help of the folks here on the forums. There are a bunch of REALLY HELPFUL folks on here.

As for the circuit boards, if you can get 'em cheap, go for it. Otherwise, do a search on eBay (try "tail light assembly"). I seem to remember that there are quite a few there for a decent price.

Take Care,

almostblue
03-08-2006, 12:24 PM
still good...
it is starting to look like the bad circuit board did the following:
1. blew the turn signal fuse
2. made the brake and airbag lights intermittant
3 a lot of other weird stuff
and all is good for now

thanks to everyone

Add your comment to this topic!