Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Aston Martin DBR-9 (1:24) by Renaissance - Kit Review

sportracer02
02-18-2006, 01:32 PM
Finally, after seeing the model growing on the Renaissance homepage for weeks, I got the kit.
The kit looks great, lots of resin and etched parts, nice decals with CF, instructions on several pages (unfortunately only small b/w pics of the interior, coloured and bigger pics would help a lot)…

my first impression on this kit: FANTASTIC

So I started to look closer at the body and I took some reference photos of the 1:1 car.

The first eyecatching thing is the rough finish of the parts. Lots of cleaning is necessary

http://foto.arcor-online.net/palb/alben/28/1077928/3763366431653065.jpg

http://foto.arcor-online.net/palb/alben/28/1077928/3034333863353131.jpg

http://foto.arcor-online.net/palb/alben/28/1077928/6263653439313635.jpg

Next thing is the dash: those holes have different sizes and are not in a line, the angulary knobs at the bottom have not the same distance and are not in a line. There is a decal in the kit, but if you want a 3-d-effect, everything needs to be puttyed, sanded and scratchbuilt.

http://foto.arcor-online.net/palb/alben/28/1077928/6338353031383436.jpg

A very important thing is the roof: I calculated, that it is ca. 2,5 mm too narrow, further it „falls down“ to its rear right side (looking from front to rear)

http://foto.arcor-online.net/palb/alben/28/1077928/3333623164373131.jpg

The top of the left and right front wheel wells/fenders don´t have the same hight,

http://foto.arcor-online.net/palb/alben/28/1077928/3661616361656630.jpg

the nose seems not to be peaked enough,

http://foto.arcor-online.net/palb/alben/28/1077928/6631386465393564.jpg

from the Naca inlet to the outside of the rear fenders the is more than 1 mm difference between left and right side,

http://foto.arcor-online.net/palb/alben/28/1077928/6261356263356362.jpg
http://foto.arcor-online.net/palb/alben/28/1077928/6238383734643238.jpg

the rear wheel wells appear not equal on left and right side.

The fender in front of the doors should be vertikal. The left side tends to the middle of the car,

http://foto.arcor-online.net/palb/alben/28/1077928/6637353932306462.jpg

the area at the end of the front wheel wells (where the side skirt starts) should be corrected too. It appears too flat.The rear fenders around the Naca should be higher, also the wheel weels to get a good stance in relation to the front wheels.The side skirts in the direction backwards to the rear wheel wells should be reworked, the opening in the rear skirt over the diffusor appears too small.

The airvents on the hood have different distances to the hood engraving

http://foto.arcor-online.net/palb/alben/28/1077928/6263343762643739.jpg
http://foto.arcor-online.net/palb/alben/28/1077928/6535313837613334.jpg

The lower part of the rear fender (black ares) is too staight , they must fall under the car.
There is no hint what colour to use for the body or how to mix it ……….

So I see 2 possibilities for this kit:
either to build it as it comes out of the box (and don´t care of the real car) -that for sure means fun-
or
to correct the the body and that for sure means very very much work.

As I don´t intend to build a phantom racer, my issue will remain sitting on the self for the next time until I feel in the mood start this project.

MickSz
02-18-2006, 02:26 PM
Thanks very much for the thorough overview. I REALLY want this car but having read your review I'm a little hesitant...Anybody know of any other manufacturer doing the DBR9 in 1/24th ?

rallymaster
02-18-2006, 04:18 PM
Hello Micha,
don't hesitate to send your comments to Renaissance, I am sure they will listen to you ! :wink:

Phil

sportracer02
02-18-2006, 04:51 PM
Hello Micha,
don't hesitate to send your comments to Renaissance, I am sure they will listen to you ! :wink:

Phil

Hi Phil,

isn´t the Renaissance owner member in this forum?

Vric
02-18-2006, 05:12 PM
Wow this is very disappointing... I was expecting to see a great kit (after seeing growing on mauto) look like there is MANY flaw for that kind of price kit.

Vric
02-18-2006, 05:14 PM
Hi Phil,

Not sure if Etienne come here often.. you will see it more on Mauto forum.

rallymaster
02-18-2006, 07:39 PM
Hi Phil,

No I don't think, one of his builder (the 205 T16 Pikes Peak) if I am not wrong, but nor Etienne neither Pedro come here according to what I know.
Etienne uses to go on french forum Mautomobile.

but you can write them through the link of their website.
I think they would be ears wide opened for any comments about their products.

Phil

D_LaMz
02-19-2006, 01:04 AM
looks interesting

sportracer02
02-19-2006, 01:49 AM
Wow this is very disappointing... I was expecting to see a great kit (after seeing growing on mauto) look like there is MANY flaw for that kind of price kit.

Yeah Vric,

I have several transkits from Renaissance and was -just like you- hunting for this kit, which comes, to mention it again, with a lots of parts, everything looks great, but this body tears everything down.

geronimo77
02-19-2006, 03:48 AM
What about the p/e parts and the decals?

sportscars24
02-19-2006, 04:24 AM
Hi,Micha

I hear about this bad quality of this Kit,and i will not buy this car.
If i have to pay so mutch money for a kit the quality must be much better than this.

@MickSz

Yes there is a other Manufacture of the Aston Martin DBR9 in scale 1/24.

Spark Models will bring this out next month.The car is build up,but the quality look perfect.

Regards Roger

sportracer02
02-19-2006, 05:19 AM
What about the p/e parts and the decals?

Hi,

as written in the second line of my thread:

... lots of resin and etched parts, nice decals with CF .....

here the decals, on the right CF decals

http://foto.arcor-online.net/palb/alben/28/1077928/1024_6636373439626433.jpg

here the etched parts, looks very good

http://foto.arcor-online.net/palb/alben/28/1077928/1024_6135656439336263.jpg

The spokes on the wheels are too "deep" in my eyes, the will nearly touch the brake

http://foto.arcor-online.net/palb/alben/28/1077928/1024_6565616631386432.jpg

manu80
02-19-2006, 05:43 AM
I bought it too. sure there's a lot of work, and it needs some improvements but you can still wait for tamiya to release it one of these days.....
Renaissance isn't studio 27 or BBR, it's rougher , but I didn't bother to measure everything.It's the only kit you can get of the car, or then it will be 1/43. Too me it looks just a bit low and a bit too thin on the back. But hey.....

I'm kinda the same as you, looking for the details that go wrong, but on this one, I'm really pleased to have it so i'll say nothing on that.At least it exists, it has its littls flaws but renaissance has never said they're tamiya. A bit expensive sure....still better the some 50 euros kits assembled in 2 days with a metal chassis, no?
I hope you don' ttake it as an attack to you, it's not.
I'll start mine soon ;)
MANU

sportracer02
02-19-2006, 06:35 AM
I bought it too. sure there's a lot of work, and it needs some improvements but you can still wait for tamiya to release it one of these days.....
Renaissance isn't studio 27 or BBR, it's rougher , but I didn't bother to measure everything.It's the only kit you can get of the car, or then it will be 1/43. Too me it looks just a bit low and a bit too thin on the back. But hey.....

I'm kinda the same as you, looking for the details that go wrong, but on this one, I'm really pleased to have it so i'll say nothing on that.At least it exists, it has its littls flaws but renaissance has never said they're tamiya. A bit expensive sure....still better the some 50 euros kits assembled in 2 days with a metal chassis, no?
I hope you don' ttake it as an attack to you, it's not.
I'll start mine soon ;)
MANU

Hi,

as I alredy mentioned: Build it as it comes or correct it.
OK, you have bought a kit for about 120 Euros and see yourself that the body isn´t correct. Nevertheless you will build it, I think that is ok.

I will correct it, if I ever build it. And if I knew about the above written before buying it, I NEVER bought it, even if no other model is available in the future.

BBR, Studio27 - maybe Renaissance is a little bit away from them, but I´m sure he has the skill and possibilities to come VERY close, if he wants to

sportscars24
02-19-2006, 07:36 AM
@Manu80

I also was thinking to buy one for me,but a Time earlier i bot a Panoz LMP from Renaissance and on this kit the quality is also bad.

So i wait to now more when the kit released.Good that i did not buy;-))
Sorry if i have to say this,but for this big money you can get a better quality.

Like i said,the model comes from Spark Models in Scale 1/24,i will buy this an change some details in the cockpit.
Because i dont like to build the model with corrections in a have year.
If i build it,it must be correct like the original,for me to many to correct on the Renaissance kit.

Regards Roger

labandabonnot
02-19-2006, 09:38 AM
I just hope Rallyraider will buy one, build it this year, and win the next AFMOTY with it! lol
At least, the overall quality of the kit seems pretty good (as I'm actualy looking at it on my shelf), and the build will surely provide the usual resin kit pleasure: flash sanding, fitting, photo-etch and vacuform cutting, etc...
So, for me it's ok!
But if another manufacturer proves me he can do better, I'd be happy to buy him (another) one! lol I just mean: I can't understand how someone can create such a kit starting from nothing, and without using computer help: it's just too amazing for me, so I really can't criticise. I'll just try to do my best on this one.
And I hope some skillfull builders will show us how good this kit may be! :D

Vric
02-19-2006, 12:00 PM
Don't get me wrong, I have some Renaissance kit too and I'm very pleased with the quality (the Porsche in my sign is a Renaissance product). But those body measurement problem is just too much for a 160$ kit. I will have to wait to see it completed, but I don't think I will pay 160$ for this one with those problems.

sportracer02
02-19-2006, 01:01 PM
Don't get me wrong, I have some Renaissance kit too and I'm very pleased with the quality (the Porsche in my sign is a Renaissance product). But those body measurement problem is just too much for a 160$ kit. I will have to wait to see it completed, but I don't think I will pay 160$ for this one with those problems.

... exactly what I think, however I have the kit and will wait for the first built kit with corrected mistakes

Samurai75007
02-19-2006, 04:40 PM
wow, not good out of the box...

geronimo77
02-20-2006, 12:20 AM
Hi,Micha

Yes there is a other Manufacture of the Aston Martin DBR9 in scale 1/24.

Spark Models will bring this out next month.The car is build up,but the quality look perfect.

Regards Roger

How do you know that the quality will be perfect? But it is a diecast not a model!!

ED59
02-20-2006, 03:21 AM
Hello all...

Just come back from Retromobile show...

Please note that Spark will only release built-up models, no kits.

And Yes, there are some mistakes. as usual from mine, lol. Perfection doesn't exist, but if someone could do better, he just have to do it...

klutz_100
02-20-2006, 04:42 AM
I want one of these and I will for sure get one of these (when I can afford it ;) ).

I hear you Micha on what you are saying but as an Aston hungry fan and, above all, a modeler not aspiring to your level of skill, I can't be anything else but happy it's now available. I just hope that I will have the opprotunity to follow your build thread first though beofore I start on it ! ;)

Now, what about that PP transkit!?!?!? :biggrin:

sportracer02
02-20-2006, 05:37 AM
I want one of these and I will for sure get one of these (when I can afford it ;) ).

I hear you Micha on what you are saying but as an Aston hungry fan and, above all, a modeler not aspiring to your level of skill, I can't be anything else but happy it's now available. I just hope that I will have the opprotunity to follow your build thread first though beofore I start on it ! ;)

Now, what about that PP transkit!?!?!? :biggrin:

Hi Steve,

yeah, lots of modelers are hungry for this Aston Martin, but I guess I will finish lots of models before I start this "body-correcting project". It is not just correcting the body, you need new side windows when lifting the roof, probably new rear window, the cage must be lifted to reach under the roof, etc, etc....

(BTW: what do you mean with: "Now, what about that PP transkit!?!?!? " )

klutz_100
02-20-2006, 06:00 AM
(BTW: what do you mean with: "Now, what about that PP transkit!?!?!? " )
Sorry Micha, I wasn't very clear with that - it was meant for ED59 :)
I am waiting on the PIkes Peak transkit almost as long as for the AM :iceslolan

ED59
02-20-2006, 02:03 PM
A very important thing is the roof: I calculated, that it is ca. 2,5 mm too narrow, further it „falls down“ to its rear right side (looking from front to rear)

Hmmm... where did you get information from?

The top of the left and right front wheel wells/fenders don´t have the same hight,

http://foto.arcor-online.net/palb/alben/28/1077928/1024_3661616361656630.jpg

Interestin' way to do... I have never use this to measure heights, luckily.:)

from the Naca inlet to the outside of the rear fenders the is more than 1 mm difference between left and right side,

Right; I just forget to modify fender width on RH...

the nose seems not to be peaked enough,

the rear wheel wells appear not equal on left and right side.

The fender in front of the doors should be vertikal. The left side tends to the middle of the car,

the area at the end of the front wheel wells (where the side skirt starts) should be corrected too. It appears too flat.The rear fenders around the Naca should be higher, also the wheel weels to get a good stance in relation to the front wheels.The side skirts in the direction backwards to the rear wheel wells should be reworked, the opening in the rear skirt over the diffusor appears too small.

The lower part of the rear fender (black ares) is too staight , they must fall under the car.

Your opinion. Not mine. By the way, I'm making a model not to get it exactly correct, but to get a feeling of the real thing. I'm not counting rivets, nor need the last millimeter.

And if you modify, you could destroy the balance of the model as it's now, so have to modify the whole thing.

If you can do it better, let me know or show to me, I could do some things...:smokin:

There is no hint what colour to use for the body or how to mix it ……….
What better than the right (works) one? I could give my mix, that will not be good for TS or enamels users...

puffyrs
02-20-2006, 03:18 PM
Be careful not to criticise the manufacturers of this model. If they read feed back that indicates to them that people are not going to buy their models, they may decided not to manufacturer them anymore. At the end of the day, we want these rare models that only about 100 are made off as opposed to only being able to buy the plastic models which are made in their thousands. Yes, it may seem that it is alot to pay for a model that you still have to do work too. But ask yourself, what kind of models do we want. We want these and should encourge the manufacturers to carry on producing them so we have choice.

sportracer02
02-20-2006, 05:30 PM
Hi ED59,

nice to hear from you more than just the short answer from 10.21 AM :thumbsup:

Reading your mail gives me the impression that you live the easy (French) way, and I think that is ok, good for someones mind :grinyes:

In my collection there are several Renaissance transkits, and I think they are great, otherwise I did not buy them. For that reason I ordered the Aston without seeing it before.

I build models, but I also know how to build a model starting with raw materials.
So I know that the measures of a model are NOT just a 24th of the real car, some lines have to be changed that the model looks correct.
I know that some details on pictures can be seen/built in different ways and I know that for these reasons there will NEVER be a perfect model :nono:.

You made a long awaited model and nobody would criticise some small mistakes, because this way of modeling is eyeball-engeneering, yes -you and I, we know that by experience (you more, I less :grinyes:).

You mentioned several times, you are not a rivet counter. You don´t see some of the things I would correct, if I built the model, that is absolutely ok for me (-> eyeball-engeneering....)

However I :iceslolan – and probably some other modelers - expect at least a symetrical body, but I see different sizes on left and right side without measuring (the ruler is just to make the differences visible).

My information conerning the roof is measuring and calculating first class photos from different angels to get the hight of the side windows :dunno:.

You agree that you forget to correct some things and this fact makes me :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:, because this could be avoided.

I think it is not YOUR style, just to say: "hey, I made this kit, if you don´t like it, make it better" because on the other side I see you admitting mistakes in your thread and you made really good trans/kits in the past.

So, hey, next time send me a body when finished, four eyes see more than two ;)

ED59
02-23-2006, 03:31 AM
Hi,

My information conerning the roof is measuring and calculating first class photos from different angels to get the hight of the side windows :dunno:.

So difference comes from your opinion/calculation... ;)

You agree that you forget to correct some things and this fact makes me :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:, because this could be avoided.

Yep; but I was in hurry, not only because of Retromobile show, but also because of a fellow German guy asking for body for slot racing project... and I know that, when in hurry, mistakes always happen, especially if you're spotted by Murphy's Laws.:shakehead

I think it is not YOUR style, just to say: "hey, I made this kit, if you don´t like it, make it better" because on the other side I see you admitting mistakes in your thread and you made really good trans/kits in the past.

So, hey, next time send me a body when finished, four eyes see more than two ;)

Some people here saw the model, no one told me about these. So why not? but I can't send the prototype (pattern), maybe you'll have to come? ;)

Etienne

sjelic
02-23-2006, 04:51 AM
this is why I don't like boards, it always turns out wrong. Micha made a nice review pointing out the flaws (from his point of view) and I may or may not accept them. At least I am kind of person that always need to confirm everything by my self (that is why I have many scares :D). I folowed the build up on Mautomobile from the start and I truly admire it (more then the product itself), personaly I will probably buy this kit (because of the previous sentence :D).
The thing that is wrong in this thread (like I said "the board thing") is that poeple likely say yes or no, I mean Mick build fantastic models, made so much on some of his projects, but he clearly sais no to this kit (I mean that he didn't think no but maybe just like me) and all of the suden lot more tell they will not buy (which is wrong) and on the other hand French guys are angry (I can understand that fully) but this only couses more and more tension and of course Etienne writes some things that he normaly wouldn't (I am not telling that for sure but I think so).
So from normal review we have highly tensioned argue and if Micha and Etienne were in the same room when Micha checked the kit they would probably agree on most of the things and Micha would start another great progress thread.

MickSz
02-23-2006, 09:56 AM
I did voice my concerns but I don't think I said "no".

On the contrary, I ordered one 3 days ago and I'm looking forward to getting my hands on it :)

I am much more concerned with the overall "look" of a car and not measuring it down to the last millimeter. I'm certain my ultra builtup GT40 has many glaring errors, if you measured it with a ruler, but thats not why I model a specific car. It's the essense of the car that matters.

Mick Sz.

sportracer02
02-23-2006, 12:09 PM
I did voice my concerns but I don't think I said "no".

On the contrary, I ordered one 3 days ago and I'm looking forward to getting my hands on it :)

I am much more concerned with the overall "look" of a car and not measuring it down to the last millimeter. I'm certain my ultra builtup GT40 has many glaring errors, if you measured it with a ruler, but thats not why I model a specific car. It's the essense of the car that matters.

Mick Sz.

Hi Mick,

once more what I alredy said: A kit with many etched and resin parts, long awaited by lots of modelers.
Whats not satisfying to ME is the balance between left and right side.
Other things that I mentioned are depending of the modeler of the mastermodel: One sees curves and details in a different way than another.

What I mentioned is, what I will change if I (have the time and the mood to) build this kit, than in MY opinion the model comes closer to the original car.

Everybody has the liberty to correct these things I mentioned, only few of them or some more or just build it out of the box :dunno:

So why not? but I can't send the prototype (pattern), maybe you'll have to come?

Well ED 59, you can be sure, if I´ll be in your area, I´ll be there :bigthumb:

geronimo77
03-07-2006, 01:09 PM
I just got it!
And it is really nice. much over my expectations. Perfect p/e parts, nice decals and good resin parts. So after my last renaissance kit (360 Modena transkit) it is really good and the quality is much better.

tamiyarevell
03-12-2006, 12:12 AM
I think I should get one becuse the kit looks great

SCUDERIA-FERRARI
03-15-2006, 01:18 PM
Cobra colors has the correct paint for it.

http://cobracolors.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=CC&Product_Code=AMRG&Category_Code=AST

freakmech
03-15-2006, 03:52 PM
Ive just ordered the kit from Strada and i look forward to it, flawed or not. I love this car and its the only kit availiable for 1/24 so i can live with the oversights. Also i got the kit for $125 at Strada and in my mind this is not a bad price for a full resin kit in 1/24. Im also getting the SP Murcie R-GT trans-kit and the Quik Skins Audi A4 full kit. Ill let you know what i think when they arrive.

Add your comment to this topic!