Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

94 Century 3.1 Need help with battery removal

Just Ellen
02-18-2006, 12:34 PM
Hey all, I am a new member who has already learned much just from reading the forum this morning!

I have a 94 Century wagon, 3.1 with 212,000 miles. Last week it started shuttering and having some other probelms, and I had planned on spending today cleaning the MAF sensors. But the engine had other ideas...

A couple of mornings ago, I go out to start it, expecting it to turn over fine, as it always does. All I got was a small click. Electrical is working (lights, fans, buzzers, etc.). None of the indicators that the starter system was beginning to go.

I want to get to the battery terminals to clean them up (although they look ok), and to disconnect if I need to replace any of the starter system. But I can't get to them. The engine cavity has a brace bar which runs over the battery, and of course the bolts are locked. I tried the sprays and usual tricks to loosen them with no luck. I see and reach the positive, but can't figure how to get the cable off of it, and I can't reach the negative at all.

Please help...what is the secret?

Thanks very much!
Just Ellen

Just Ellen
02-18-2006, 02:14 PM
Well, after warming up and going back at it; it looks like the air filter assembly needs to be removed to get to the battery??

bignoisey
02-23-2006, 02:37 PM
I've had an '86 century and now a 2000. I had to remove the brace in both to replace the battery. Don't know why your bolts are locked. Mine were easy to remove. If you can see it is there a lot of rust on the opposite side?

Frank Brady
03-13-2006, 12:52 PM
Hello"
You situation is quite similar, and I guess by now you have changed the battery from under the brace by removal of the air cleaner. My daughter has a '95 century 3.1, and the starter has been a recent problem. When a mechanic friend looked at it, he said it was just the battery- no such luck. We had a grand time replacing the battery, and the condition persists...
This is my first attempt to post on this foum, and I guess I have a question for you or any one else that may be able to help; did the new battery make the difference, or do you still have trouble with it. On her car, the starter motor spins over fine, but keeps releasing the bendix -or not staying engaged long enouth for the engine to start-then just spinning freely when the start key is turned each time until either the battery dies or it happpens to start. Prior to selling, the previous owner had a remote starter installed, and I cannot help but suspect that is what caused this problem. I would change out the starter, but by comparison- the battery change looks like a piece of cake.
Thanks for any response of advice or assistance, FB

maxwedge
03-13-2006, 03:16 PM
Starter drive is bad, go to autozone.com/repairinfo.

Frank Brady
03-14-2006, 07:51 AM
Greetings Maxwedge:
Thank you very much for the information on Autozone. I was able to identify all the pertinent details of the vehicle, and print out the instructions for the starter change. I have been concerned that the problem would be that the teeth have been stripped frm the ring-gear. By all accounts, the condition points to a starter problem that will be soon dealt with. That is if we can get two hours of decent weather.
My daughter loves this car, and has been without it since 24 Dec. We send our sincere thanks for your help, and very best regards- FB

Add your comment to this topic!