Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2001 Impala Brake Lights,Rear Turn Signals,and Flashers

wbs60
02-18-2006, 11:12 AM
Hi, I'm new to the site and have owned Impalas for years. I have been having problems with my 2001 base Impala, rt. rear brake light and hazard does not work but turn signal does,left rear turn signal works intermitently more often not than does I have already replaced bulbs (3057) Does any one have any ideas or know whats up? I'm thinking the combo switch maybe :frown: please help!:banghead:

bigrod118
02-18-2006, 02:46 PM
well is it JUST the blinkers? it proly wont be the MFS(multifunction switch) but if it is anything it will be the hazard switch. because the hazard switch is what actually has the flasher in it that controls the blinkers, so when they start to go, that is your first place to look.

Part # is 10359031. It''s $24.79 + $9.95 shipping from GMPartsDirect.com

wbs60
02-18-2006, 08:18 PM
No,Its not just the blinkers,both the fronts work,just the left rear doesn't work,and the right rear brake light and flasher doesn't work but the blinker does. it started with the right rear brake light,then the flasher, then the left rear blinker; the left front blinks extra fast when the rear isn't blinking. Thanks for the response, Bill

bigrod118
02-18-2006, 09:57 PM
well there are a few possibilities of what it could be. I am experienceing a similar problem at the time as well.

are you getting any kind of messages in the message center?

there are possibly 4 things it could be. so im going to ask you a few questions that I would like you to check when you have a chance.

do these test during the daytime to make it easier, and make sure you are in sunlight.

1. turn the car on, are there any messages in the message center?

you will need 2 people for some of these tests.

2. put the car in gear while its running and get out (need someone else) and check to see if the daytime running lights come on, do they?

now, get a hat or something and cover up the sensor that is in the defroster cover by the windsheild, it will be on the driver side of the defroster panel.

3. wait a minute or 2 and wait for the DRL's to shut off and the low beams should turn on, do they?

4. while the hat or whatever is still over that sensor and the low beams are on, get inside the car and see if you can adjust the dimmer/headlight switch to adjust the dash lights from dim to bright, does it work?

are you experienceing any problems with the MFS(multifunction switch) can you still turn on the actual high beams(not DRL) and the wipers? do they work properly?

I cant be positive, but I still think its the hazard switch, the flasher is in that.

but there are still 4 things that could be the problem...

1. hazard switch (most likely)
2. dimmer switch (I highly doubt it)
3. MFS (possible but its iffy)
4. BCM (quite possible, thats whats wrong with my car at the moment)

PRICING!!! numbers corralate with above numbers

1. 10359031. $24.79
2. 10283776. $64.76
3. 88964581. $205.23
4. 10350647. $92.24

those dont include shipping and they are from GMpartsdirect.com. shipping is sometimes very outrageous. but the prices are cheaper then the dealership directly.

otherwise your other choice is junk yard or ebay.

but have you tried to replace ALL the signla bulbs? it just takes one to cause problems. and is it just a replacement bulb? aftermarket bulbs can cause problems.

I am not expert at this stuff, so if I cant fix your problem I MAY ask someone else that will be able to give you a more definite answer, but I dont like to bug them with questions from this forum, since they are not a part of it.

wbs60
02-19-2006, 02:54 PM
Tried the Tests and here are the results do these test during the daytime to make it easier, and make sure you are in sunlight.

1. turn the car on, are there any messages in the message center? No messages

you will need 2 people for some of these tests.

2. put the car in gear while its running and get out (need someone else) and check to see if the daytime running lights come on, do they? Day time running lights work properly

now, get a hat or something and cover up the sensor that is in the defroster cover by the windsheild, it will be on the driver side of the defroster panel.

3. wait a minute or 2 and wait for the DRL's to shut off and the low beams should turn on, do they? Low beams work properly

4. while the hat or whatever is still over that sensor and the low beams are on, get inside the car and see if you can adjust the dimmer/headlight switch to adjust the dash lights from dim to bright, does it work? Dash light dimmer works properly

are you experienceing any problems with the MFS(multifunction switch) can you still turn on the actual high beams(not DRL) and the wipers? do they work properly? Everything works with the MFS

I cant be positive, but I still think its the hazard switch, the flasher is in that.

but there are still 4 things that could be the problem... I'm going to go get some more bulbs and try them I put GE bulbs (3057) in it from Walmart last time, I looked at them and they look a little smokey, but I doubt thats it.Ill let you know Thanks Bill

bigrod118
02-19-2006, 04:19 PM
well you dont nessecaritly need any GE bulbs or anything, just no "hyperwhite" bulbs or anythig like that. just some simple relpacement slyvania or whatever bulbs... oh and 3057 works, but the correct number is 3457.

well from what you said, the dimmer switch is fine, the MFS is fine, but I would still get a new hazard switch, it'll be your cheapest fix. and you could go used, but it will most likey end up going bad everntually too.

technically you can take apart the hazard switch and find the flasher unit and just clean the contacts and that might work... for a while, but im not sure how to do that. id suggest that you just get a new hazard switch and replace that. becuase to get a new BCM will be about $300, thats what I have to do. so doing the hazard switch will just be $40 and you can do it yourself.

wbs60
02-22-2006, 05:42 PM
Well tried new bulbs didn't change a thing, I'm going to look at the connecters, then the hazzard switch.anymore ideas anyone ? thanks Bill

ATOZBODY
04-06-2006, 01:24 PM
I Have the exact same problem with my 01 Impala just tried the flasher no change I will report after the turnsignal switch............5-15-06 Now I put in the new turnsignal switch and FIXED

richtazz
04-08-2006, 11:07 AM
The intermittent rapid flashing indicates a bulb, wiring, or socket failure on that side of the car. Electronic flashers will cause the light to blink rapidly when one goes out, to warn the driver a problem exists. The brake light and blinker issue points toward the turn signal/multifunction switch or the same wiring/socket issue mentioned above.

impala03
04-08-2006, 12:12 PM
I'm convinced the problem on my 03 impala is the hazard switch.
Could someone please explain the procedure for replacing it.
The books gives .4 hrs. so hopefully it's not too bad.
Thanks

impala03
04-10-2006, 05:36 PM
BTW if anyone cares (probably not since nobody replied to the post) the hazard switch just pulls out from the dash with some force.
Problem fixed!

bigrod118
04-10-2006, 08:21 PM
sorry, I didnt see your request for a how to, otherwise I would have made one, but im glad to hear that you got it fixed.

ATOZBODY
05-15-2006, 09:58 AM
I Replaced the turn signal switch and it fixed all of the lighting problems. Its been working perfect for a week. BIG project, you have to have lots of specailty tools because the steering wheel, air bag, and column has to come apart. I wouldnt recomend this to the average do-it-yourselfer. The switch is over 300.00 OUCH

impala03
05-15-2006, 10:40 AM
Thanks for the update.
Just noticed a bunch of ts switches on ebay for $165 buy it now.
Sounds like a fairly common problem. Has GM issued a service bulletin on these or is a recall possible?
impala03

I Replaced the turn signal switch and it fixed all of the lighting problems. Its been working perfect for a week. BIG project, you have to have lots of specailty tools because the steering wheel, air bag, and column has to come apart. I wouldnt recomend this to the average do-it-yourselfer. The switch is over 300.00 OUCH

Add your comment to this topic!