Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

4wd Possible Quick Fix?

Ultrashock
02-17-2006, 04:00 PM
A while ago my 4 wheel drive randomly quit working and I started hearing klunking noises. I believe the source of the problem is that the drivers side hub is still locked. Is there tricks that i can try before taking it to a mechanic?

The info on my car is in my signature......

rlith
02-17-2006, 07:11 PM
A while ago my 4 wheel drive randomly quit working and I started hearing klunking noises. I believe the source of the problem is that the drivers side hub is still locked. Is there tricks that i can try before taking it to a mechanic?

The info on my car is in my signature......

You don't have locking hubs...

If you used the search button, you would have seen this has been covered thousands of times before....sigh

1st Check vac actuator under battery tray for tears, or leaks, and that the vac hose is connected. Replace if found

2nd Check vac hose leading from vac actuator to vac switch on transfer case for cracks and dry rot. Replace if found.

3rd Check remaining 2 hoses from vac switch on transfer case for dryrot or cracks Replace if found.

If all of the above are fine, disconnect your negative battery cable for 1/2 hour then reconnect it. If your 4x4 works after that you probably have a failing TCCM (Transfer case control module)

If that doesn't solve it, it's most likely the encoder motor

Ultrashock
02-17-2006, 07:24 PM
Trust me I have checked the vacuum actuator(s) (even professionals have) I have read the 4wd posts so many times you have no idea.......... Thats why im confused

Anyway i dont have an electronic shifter its big ole' manual floor shifter

Anyway doesnt every 4wd car have locking hubs? (either manual or automatic)

rlith
02-18-2006, 06:52 AM
Trust me I have checked the vacuum actuator(s) (even professionals have) I have read the 4wd posts so many times you have no idea.......... Thats why im confused

Anyway i dont have an electronic shifter its big ole' manual floor shifter

Anyway doesnt every 4wd car have locking hubs? (either manual or automatic)

Manual floor shifter still kicks the vac stuff. Have you checked every vac line leading from the vac switch on top of the transfer case forward? Have you tried replacing that switch? How about putting it up on stands and pulling the cable at the front diff by hand?

As to locking hubs, our trucks use a locking differential, with regular cv shafts. Our hubs are pretty standard.

OverBoardProject
02-19-2006, 01:30 AM
If it's still engaged it would spin the front drive shaft when you jack the ture up and turn it by hand.

If the drive shaft doesn't spin then it's something else.

Add your comment to this topic!