Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

overhead stuff...

directory
02-17-2006, 03:02 PM
has anyone ever had their headliner mat off of their truck? what is holding it up? are there any cross braces up there that would allow small screws or bolts to be placed up there to hold a new fabbed headliner? especially down the center

idea: i want to make an over head console, that possibly ends over the back seats. (i've talk about this before, but the process keeps getting more elaborate as i dream it up.) of course, i don't want anything falling on me as i drive:banghead: --so i'm going to fiberglass metal brackets into the whole console and find a way to hold it all up. the easiest way would be to use self tapping screws into any cross braces that are there.

i'm making the console to hold light switches and new cabin lights. the switch box is fairly heavy, about like a CD deck (and almost the same size)--if that's what i end up using. it's the same light bar switch that police use:icon16:

rodeo02
02-17-2006, 03:51 PM
The headliners bonded to the carboard-like stuff are typically supported by the perimeter mouldings (around the doors, windsheild, rear windows). Some have a support under the domelight also.

Gizmo42
02-17-2006, 06:12 PM
I havent had mine out but I would think there would be some kind of bracing there to keep the roof from 'oil canning' and also to support the weight for the roof racks.

Canucklehead
02-17-2006, 06:17 PM
Want to see if there are any braces? Take a pin and push it into the headliner and see how far it goes in. Just go from the windshield back toward the dome light and any place that the pin wont go in as far probably has a brace.:2cents:

directory
02-17-2006, 06:33 PM
Want to see if there are any braces? Take a pin and push it into the headliner and see how far it goes in. Just go from the windshield back toward the dome light and any place that the pin wont go in as far probably has a brace.:2cents:
oooh..that is a good one! i like that. thanks

Add your comment to this topic!